Galaxy seeds and system properties

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Galaxy seeds and system properties

Post by Cody »

Pleb wrote:
... Not sure if that would be possible, as it would affect the names in all the galaxies.
Couldn't have that - G1-G8 must stay as is. But I do miss the unused letters, especially the J and K!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

El Viejo wrote:
Pleb wrote:
Couldn't have that - G1-G8 must stay as is. But I do miss the unused letters, especially the J and K!
Agreed. Also you would need to check for inappropriate system names, such as the planet Arse (although I have never been able to find this, sadly, lol...).
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Cody

Post by Cody »

Pleb wrote:
... you would need to check for inappropriate system names
***Warning: this game contains moderate violence, and may contain traces of profanity***
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

El Viejo wrote:
***Warning: this game contains moderate violence, and may contain traces of profanity***
Haha! Maybe Oolite would then have to be rated PG or 12A lol!

I'm not sure whether I should have started a new thread for all of this, or maybe whether a moderator can split it into a new thread? I feel I have stolen Wildeblood 's thread!
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Letter pairs for system names...

Code: Select all

privatev string array RTHPairs = ({
/* Planets from the original Elite */
  "..lexegezacebiso" +
  "usesarmaindirea." +
  "eratenberalaveti" +
  "edorquanteisrion",
/* Lorem ipsum */
  "..qupeaudidoliut" +
  "viadaedupasotoa." +
  "loaregelpufridhe" +
  "geimmeneninopier",
/* War and Peace */
  "..hethineranrena" +
  "ouonedneathatoa." +
  "isenitasteesaror" +
  "lenistverineseli",
/* Front page of Boing Boing (including HTML) */
  "..indiennatehaiv" +
  "bonereanasthoia." +
  "celaeterpariryte" +
  "atlehesetaarcoes",
/* The Little Prince (Chapters 1-5, English version) */
  "..thheanerinhaat" +
  "reouisittoonvea." +
  "histedleennamees" +
  "nenoofearoseorar",
/* Not sure where I got this one from */
  "..thheineranrend" +
  "atonnthaesstene." +
  "toitoueahiisorti" +
  "asteetngofaldese",
});
This is from code I wrote for an LPMud. Basically an array of 6 strings to use for creating the system names. All of them (apart from the first) were created from an analysis program I wrote in the dim distant past. No idea where the source is.

Lorem Ispsum creates some great Latin like names.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Wow that's great Tricky, wouldn't know where to begin with incorporating them into the code though as I don't really understand the algorithm that Oolite uses to generate the system names. But I'm sure it would be possible!

Other things I've tried and played around with the source code is making the jump to Galaxy 9 equipment dependent, for example you could create a piece of equipment called a 'Hyperdrive Navigation Upgrade" that would allow you to jump into Galaxy 9 from Galaxy 8 (provided you still had a Galactic Hyperdrive), but if you didn't have it installed then you would jump into Galaxy 1.

I also figured out if I commented out the check for the 7 light year limit on normal jumps and extended the amount of fuel I could hold on a player ship I could jump insane distances across the map, and again make this equipment dependable. However I dislike this as this is cheating and only being able to jump 7 light years at a time makes the game more challenging. :x

Another idea I would like to try out though is the multiple starting positions that someone else suggested a while ago, If you had it so that when you start up the game and it asks you whether to load a previous saved game, you press N. Then instead of pressing space you could press 1, 2 or 3 and start in different positions, maybe even with different ships. Maybe they could be classed in difficulty, so one was the normal starting game, one was with a better ship and more money, and one with a worse ship, no money and a Fugitive legal status.

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Pleb wrote:
Of course, the problem with adding another 8 galaxies is you have to find a seed that hasn't got vast areas of unconnected systems from the main bulk on the galactic map...
That is a solved problem. That remark makes me wonder if you are unaware of the high-quality (and fairly popular) Galactic Hyperdrive OXP? I was making myself a variant version of it last week, for use with my preferred galaxy seeds, when I suddenly noticed "Oh noes! No planet textures!" and that's what initially gave rise to this thread.
Pleb wrote:
I'm not sure whether I should have started a new thread for all of this, or maybe whether a moderator can split it into a new thread? I feel I have stolen Wildeblood 's thread!
Hell, no! I've read all the old threads on this subject, and as soon as some genius says, "I'll spit this to a separate thread," the discussion ends.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Wildeblood wrote:
That is a solved problem. That remark makes me wonder if you are unaware of the high-quality (and fairly popular) Galactic Hyperdrive OXP? I was making myself a variant version of it last week, for use with my preferred galaxy seeds, when I suddenly noticed "Oh noes! No planet textures!" and that's what initially gave rise to this thread.
I am aware of it just never really looked at it myself I must admit. I will check it out when I get home from work and make sure it can be modified to accomodate new galaxies, as this would solve the unvistable systems (without having to modify the planetinfo.plist file). I will also look into modifying one of the planet texture OXPs (I currently use Sytem Redux myself) and make sure that it can be modified for new galaxies. Should be possible, as I vaguely remember doing it before when one of the planet texture OXPs did not cover all 8 galaxies... And I have not yet been unable to run a script that uses the new galaxy numbers. However, I have only been using JavaScript, I do not know whather the code modifications I have made are compatible with Legacy Scripting, but I don't believe many people still use Legacy Script (although there are a few older OXPs that are still dependent on it).
Wildeblood wrote:
Hell, no! I've read all the old threads on this subject, and as soon as some genius says, "I'll spit this to a separate thread," the discussion ends.
Lol okay as long as you're happy then I'm happy and we're all happy! :lol: Just wasn't sure if maybe this was put in a new thread more people might be inclined to investigate my findings to see how practical it is to expand Oolite in this manner...?

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Pleb wrote:
Other things I've tried and played around with the source code is making the jump to Galaxy 9 equipment dependent, for example you could create a piece of equipment called a 'Hyperdrive Navigation Upgrade" that would allow you to jump into Galaxy 9 from Galaxy 8 (provided you still had a Galactic Hyperdrive), but if you didn't have it installed then you would jump into Galaxy 1.
Such a piece of equipment already exists, although it may need some minor re-programming to jump to G9 and beyond.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Pleb wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
That is a solved problem. That remark makes me wonder if you are unaware of the high-quality (and fairly popular) Galactic Hyperdrive OXP?
I am aware of it just never really looked at it myself I must admit. I will check it out when I get home from work and make sure it can be modified to accomodate new galaxies, as this would solve the unvisitable systems (without having to modify the planetinfo.plist file).
I can assure you that it can be extended easily. You will find my neatly formatted and commented code a pleasure to peruse. I was intending to over-ride Galactic Hyperdrive OXP from another Alternative Ooniverse OXP, which would examine the save-game to determine which should apply, so both OXPs could be left in the Add-Ons folder simultaneously. But, just extending the existing destinations array from 8 to 16 galaxies is a much simpler task.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Wildeblood wrote:
I can assure you that it can be extended easily. You will find my neatly formatted and commented code a pleasure to peruse. I was intending to over-ride Galactic Hyperdrive OXP from another Alternative Ooniverse OXP, which would examine the save-game to determine which should apply, so both OXPs could be left in the Add-Ons folder simultaneously. But, just extending the existing destinations array from 8 to 16 galaxies is a much simpler task.
I want to next test several of the more popular OXPs, including Galactic Hyperdrive OXP, to make sure these are compatible with the new galaxies and to make sure there would not require too much extra work in modifying them to work with the new galaxies. This would make it much more feasible to implement this feature if there was a big enough demand. Also, there is the painful task of finding 8 new galaxies that people would be happy to incorporate into the game, which I think is a much more taskful job, but one I would be happy to do or help with if it was called for.

However, I do recognise that I am not a developer merely an enthusiastic Ooliter playing around with the mighty source code to explore the posibilities of new features to expand and enhance the exisiting game... :)

Cody

Post by Cody »

Wildeblood wrote:
... and as soon as some genius says, "I'll spit this to a separate thread," the discussion ends.
<chortles>
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Just noticed in the bottom middle to the right of Galaxy 9 that there is a pentagram shape of systems! Satanic images are now finding their way into Oolite...

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Pleb wrote:
Just noticed in the bottom middle to the right of Galaxy 9 that there is a pentagram shape of systems! Satanic images are now finding their way into Oolite...
Just wait till you get to Galaxy 666 :evil:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Smivs wrote:
Pleb wrote:
Just wait till you get to Galaxy 666 :evil:
Whoa, Galaxy 666? Even though that is actually possible it would involve an insane amount of copying and pasting! Besides, I think 16 galaxies is more than enough... But feel free to use the example code above to generate the 2 billion galaxies that are possible - let me know when you've gone round them all! (And let me know where that Planet Arse is or any other naughty names you come across... :D )