Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Hyperspace effect is not shown

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Hyperspace effect is not shown

Post by Okti »

Hi,

I came across a strange behaviour while testing a WIP today, If the player.ship.position is changed during shipWillExitWitchSpace event, the hyperspace effect is not displayed at all.

I tried to change the code in my LongRangeScanner which allows the player to make jumps in a route by following the wormholes of another ship. The original code was using this.shipExitedWitchSpace and works perfectly, but when I changed the handler to shipWillExitWitchSpace it worked fine for a while and the play time was improved a lot. But after some jumps I got a CTD.

There may be a problem with the wormholes again.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Hyperspace effect is not shown

Post by JensAyton »

Okti wrote:
I came across a strange behaviour while testing a WIP today, If the player.ship.position is changed during shipWillExitWitchSpace event, the hyperspace effect is not displayed at all.
I’m not surprised. The hyperspace effect is, oddly, an actual in-game object that’s placed in front of the player (while all other entities are hidden). There are a variety of interesting problems with this.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I've seen LongRangeScanner and other quick-chaining wormhole-using OXPs cause Oolite's memory use to spike to ~500 MB ram use. It seems to only get really bad at regular systems and NOT when doing mass-misjumping.
I often cross much of a galaxy chart, using 15+ jumps this way, and it freezes when the memory spikes for about 5-20 seconds.
Is that just Oolite's garbage collector going nuts?
...Or should I be looking for buggy OXPs?
...Or both. :cry:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Switeck wrote:
Is that just Oolite's garbage collector going nuts?
Oolite isn’t garbage-collected (except for the JS), but the problem is probably analogous.

(OXPs shouldn’t be able to cause high memory use, except through large models and textures. The JavaScript heap is quite small, and JS objects can’t keep heavyweight game objects alive.)

Bug #18245