Bug or Ooniverse physics I need to research?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

galpet
Above Average
Above Average

Bug or Ooniverse physics I need to research?

Post by galpet »

I can spend 46 hours in a hyperspace jump, but it's still not enough time for weapons to cool, or shields to regenerate.

Why is this so?

Is there some Ooniverse physics I need to research? OR Heaven forbid, a bug?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Bug or Ooniverse physics I need to research?

Post by Smivs »

Because time is sort of suspended in hyperspace. You are not aware of the passage of time are you, so lasers and shields aren't either. That's why your ship's clock has to adjust when you exit hyperspace.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

From my perspective, a hyperspace jump lasts only a few seconds for the pilot, the seconds it takes to traverse the wormhole. When the ship emerges back to normal space, the ship clock has to be synchronized with universal time, because time inside the wormhole flows differently to the time outside of it. I'll leave the scientific explanation to the Relativistic / Temporal Physics lecturers at Lave University.

So, since only a few seconds have passed inside the wormhole, it makes sense that the lasers don't have enough time to cool down.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

galpet wrote:
I can spend 46 hours in a hyperspace jump, but it's still not enough time for weapons to cool, or shields to regenerate.

Why is this so?

Is there some Ooniverse physics I need to research? OR Heaven forbid, a bug?
For the Hyperspace conduit to exist you effectively enter a hyper-dimensional non-space that joins two points of "normal" space together, since this conduit cannot exist in a universe where normal physics apply... therefore normal physics do not apply...

Other handwavium methods of explanation do exist - YMMV
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

galpet wrote:
What he said.

You and your ship only spend a fraction of a second in a hyperspace jump. In the surrounding universe there is a significant time gap between your entry into hyperspace and your exit. It's a pseudo-relativistic effect that sees pilots long outliving planet dwellers.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Alternatively (because from my own personal point of view, which is strictly for the necessities of my own fiction, wherein I need to have time for the characters to be bottled up in) travel through a wormhole does take time – it's just that this is elided in the game. However, when your ship is inside a wormhole it's effectively a little pocket universe, all to itself. As such, all the energy you take in with you, stays within your ship, because there's literally nowhere else for it to go. It's very important that the ship maintains the same energy gradients* coming out of the wormhole as it did going in – otherwise it might find itself being the seed for a very Big Bang indeed ...

The good news is, you're the Creator of a brand-new universe! The bad news is, you're less of a Creator, more of an accidental First Cause – the "oops" from whence sprang all things, if you will. And you don't get to survive the process.

*Fortunately, your ship can cope with energy gradients sufficient for life support – a value known colloquially as "Cook's Constant", supposedly being the amount required to make a really large pot of goat soup. Even so, many Captains will ensure that all meals are prepared well in advance of entering a wormhole, and some go so far as to restrict crew usage of hot water.
galpet
Above Average
Above Average

Post by galpet »

another_commander wrote:
From my perspective, a hyperspace jump lasts only a few seconds for the pilot, the seconds it takes to traverse the wormhole. When the ship emerges back to normal space, the ship clock has to be synchronized with universal time, because time inside the wormhole flows differently to the time outside of it. I'll leave the scientific explanation to the Relativistic / Temporal Physics lecturers at Lave University.

So, since only a few seconds have passed inside the wormhole, it makes sense that the lasers don't have enough time to cool down.
Obviously I slept through that lesson at school. Looks like I will have to do some more research at Lave University.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

What Disembodied said!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

El Viejo wrote:
What Disembodied said!
What he said! :lol:

Actually what everyone else basically said. It's just commonsense to have a credible scientific explanation for hocus pocus(cave men would think a cup of coffee is hocus pocus :roll: ).

Think of space as a donut. Now take a bite. Now have some coffee.(Hocus pocus handwavium wallawalla washington saskatoon saskatchewan insert other words here)

What was I talking about? :?

:lol:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I side with the hyperspace is nearly instantaneous for the ship and its occupants.

Which means the rest of the universe ages while they don't.
46 hours may not sound like much, but for freighters which are only profitable if they keep jumping from system to system it can add up quickly. Fast loading/unloading of the standardized cargo pods means a ship needs only stay at a station for <20 minutes to be ready for the next jump. So to maximize profits, ships would spend most of their time jumping rather than in transit in-systems or docked at a station. For a ship's crew to have R&R, they could simply stay on a station till the ship comes back a few days later...while those on the ship see only a couple hours pass.

At its most extreme, Pythons built between 2700-2750 may still be running and in good repair in the year 3140 simply because from their point of view probably less than 100 years has passed.

The time "savings" from traveling at 50% the speed of light in a vacuum (even assuming that's 0.5 Light Mach) would be trivial by comparison.
galpet
Above Average
Above Average

Post by galpet »

Switeck wrote:
I side with the hyperspace is nearly instantaneous for the ship and its occupants.

Which means the rest of the universe ages while they don't.
46 hours may not sound like much, but for freighters which are only profitable if they keep jumping from system to system it can add up quickly. Fast loading/unloading of the standardized cargo pods means a ship needs only stay at a station for <20 minutes to be ready for the next jump. So to maximize profits, ships would spend most of their time jumping rather than in transit in-systems or docked at a station. For a ship's crew to have R&R, they could simply stay on a station till the ship comes back a few days later...while those on the ship see only a couple hours pass.

At its most extreme, Pythons built between 2700-2750 may still be running and in good repair in the year 3140 simply because from their point of view probably less than 100 years has passed.

The time "savings" from traveling at 50% the speed of light in a vacuum (even assuming that's 0.5 Light Mach) would be trivial by comparison.
Which prompts another question.
How long have you been playing Oolite by the clock?
Jameson's clock starts at 2084004 days my clock reads 2084560 or 556 days.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

In one of my savegames I have, I just got a Boa 2 and the clock reads 2084035.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Switeck wrote:
In one of my savegames I have, I just got a Boa 2 and the clock reads 2084035.
You bought a Boa 2 after just 31 days? :shock:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody

Post by Cody »

My shipclock reads: 2086.433... and I still fly a Cobra MkIII.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Disembodied wrote:
Alternatively (because from my own personal point of view, which is strictly for the necessities of my own fiction, wherein I need to have time for the characters to be bottled up in) travel through a wormhole does take time – it's just that this is elided in the game.
Agreed, needed by my fiction as well. Too tempting a location to just allow it to last a few seconds. The Dark Wheel set a precident here which I plan on continuing. Weird stuff happens in the wormhole and it may take several minutes/hours to traverse.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter