Stellar Serpents

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

lave
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Deep in Leesti space mining asteroids for a living.

Stellar Serpents

Post by lave »

Where are they?

I am currently in a system where one is present, but I can't seem to find it anywhere, and there is no compass indicator for it either.

Where do they normally hang out?

Thanks.
Gnudoll
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Stellar Serpents

Post by Gnudoll »

When I was hunting one, I traveled back and forth between the witchpoint beacon and the station. But you have to keep a sharp eye out as they look inert to the scanner and will not mass-lock you. Happy hunting! Oh, and you will likely get attacked several times going back and forth down the main traffic route, so keep your lasers handy and room in your hold for whatever gets dropped by the poor sobs that make the mistake of attacking you. . .
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Sound advice - they are white on the scanner and as they have no metal or quirium (other than what they may have eaten) then mass-locking isn't an occurrence. And they of course have no beacon, so won't appear on the compass either.

It's just a case of being a hunter and going to find them...
lave
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lave »

OK thanks.

I wasn't sure where the oxp placed them... between witch point and nav point or witch point and sun, ect.....

Thanks.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Witchpoint and main station, although they can be a little way off it to the side.
lave
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lave »

I found it.
It was already in bits when I got there though. The head and body segments were all floating about. Maybe someone else had already shot at it??

Anyway the head still attacked me so I killed it, then I got a Ton or two of alloys for each body segment I destroyed.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

The serpent and the butterfly should get together and have a fight(like Godzilla and Mothra). :P
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Gnudoll
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Gnudoll »

OTB, you have a sick sick mind. . . I like it!
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

I've completed the visiting of planets in G2 (Explorers OXP(Z)) and have gone for a Stellar Serpent hunt before hitting the 'G' button. I eventully got caught up with the damned beast, I think. But F5 tells me there are now no Serpents in the Galaxy, while the '`' message log tells me there is a serpent in this system. (screeenshot) Image
Ah that's how to do it. What a fankle.
Comparing the F5 status message (main screen) with the messages from the purple information flow box, a clear contradiction. Unless someone else has found and killed the Serpent in this system between me arriving (purple box) and checking screen F5. Or what's going on?

I do have a save file, but I can't upload non-image files to my webspace.

I jumped around about 10 times following the snake round this corner of the galaxy, and finally caught up with it by doing a double-jump without refuelling. Coincidence, or part of the Cunning Thargoid Plan?

EDIT :
Looks like someone got there first.

For reference, I'd started a search pattern by flying WP to Prime station ; to alternative station ; back to WP. I can't think of a plan which would avoid covering the same ground (space) multiple times. Then again, since they move ...

Second Edit :
I zapped the SS segments for some alloys, then hit the 'G' button noted the isolated couple of stars in the NC octant of Galaxy 3, and headed to a station for passengers and goods. When I arrived in dock I received a note about the destruction of the SS in the previous galaxy. Correct star system, but no indication of the galaxy that SS was in. Which looks like an unintended feature, if not a bug.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")