Finding "shortcuts" and "unreachable" systems via misjumps

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Finding "shortcuts" and "unreachable" systems via misjumps

Post by Switeck »

There has to be a better way than trial-and-error to determine if "unreachable" systems are completely unreachable using misjumping.

I've resorted to plotting their locations on graphing paper, but found the X, Y number scale for their locations isn't symmetric -- Y is only about 1/2 X distance-wise, so drawing circle arcs up to 7 LY in size doesn't work unless I rescale the Y values to half X.

I know a few basic rules about what I can and cannot do with misjumps -- I can't simply misjump towards an unreachable system, I have to "crab" sideways to get barely in range.

But thanks to Oolite v1.75.x changes to misjump times -- now being LESS than the time to make the complete jump -- there might also be another incentive to misjump: to save time on very long-distance cargo/passenger hauls across a Galaxy Chart.

Assuming 3 systems forming a triangle, and the short sides of that triangle resembling an "L"...
What distances and angles are needed between the 3 systems to make misjumping (to avoid 1 system) quicker than just jumping to each system to go from #1 to #3?

At least the question "Does misjumping work "better" or "worse" if the angle of the "L" is greater than 90 degrees?" is obvious to me -- it's MUCH worse.
But my guess is the "best" angle has to be between 60 and 90 degrees -- at 60 you could probably just go from #3 from #1 in 1 jump anyway.

I'd like to be able to calculate this...but I don't know the exact amount of time misjumping takes relative to a completed jump it would've been.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Finding "shortcuts" and "unreachable" systems via misjum

Post by JensAyton »

Switeck wrote:
I've resorted to plotting their locations on graphing paper, but found the X, Y number scale for their locations isn't symmetric -- Y is only about 1/2 X distance-wise, so drawing circle arcs up to 7 LY in size doesn't work unless I rescale the Y values to half X.
If you’re working with the integer coordinates found, e.g., on EliteWiki, the scaling factors are 0.4 for the x axis and 0.2 for the y axis.

However, the formula for calculating distances isn’t strictly pythagorean; it’s 0.4 ⌊√(∆x² + ⌊∆y/2⌋²)⌋, where ⌊x⌋ is x rounded down to an integer.

Similarly, when misjumping, the new coordinates are the average of the current coordinates and the destination system coordinates, rounded down.
Switeck wrote:
I'd like to be able to calculate this...but I don't know the exact amount of time misjumping takes relative to a completed jump it would've been.
The time taken is exactly (well, give or take a femtosecond) 3/4 of the time to complete a successful jump. A misjump followed by a successful jump from interstellar space to the intended destination bumps the clock by exactly as much as a single successful jump.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

So far I've found a way back into the Galaxy 7 Great Rift from the "exit" destination system. I'm now looking for calculating the shortest/quickest way back...as my method takes as many as 21 jumps (mostly misjumps) to do and often crashes the game. Of course this requires an OXP wormhole maker to do. :lol:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I don't quite follow... do you mean the route back across the Great Rift to the main body of G7?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Yes.
The way "into" the great rift area is at the top left, but the "exit" from them is at the bottom left. (relative each other anyway.)
I found a way to get back into the great rift area without having to go all the way to the top left again, only currently the method is a little ugly and only viable via an OXP wormhole maker.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ahruman wrote:
However, the formula for calculating distances isn’t strictly pythagorean; it’s 0.4 ⌊√(∆x² + ⌊∆y/2⌋²)⌋, where ⌊x⌋ is x rounded down to an integer.
Following a private conversation: this is only accurate if the ∆y is positive; otherwise, it should actually be round-towards-zero (which is what Oolite does), not floor. 0.4 ⌊√(∆x² + ⌊|∆y|/2⌋²)⌋ works.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Here's the code I'm currently working with to calculate the distance between current location and "nextStop" of a hyperspace jump:

Code: Select all

curX = player.ship.galaxyCoordinates.x;
curY = player.ship.galaxyCoordinates.y;
nSX = Math.round(10*System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber,nextStop).coordinates.x)/4;
nSY = Math.round(10*System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber,nextStop).coordinates.y)/2;
aDis = 4*Math.floor(Math.sqrt(Math.pow(Math.floor(curX - nSX),2) + Math.pow(0.5*Math.floor(curY - nSY),2) ))/10;
aDis = Number(aDis.toFixed(1));
I'm not sure I know exactly how to change this as you mean.
Math.abs(curY -nSY)?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Switeck wrote:
Math.abs(curY -nSY)?
Yes. Either that, or swap curY and nSY if nSY is greater.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Ahruman wrote:
Switeck wrote:
Math.abs(curY -nSY)?
Yes. Either that, or swap curY and nSY if nSY is greater.
So this in total?:
aDis = 4*Math.floor(Math.sqrt(Math.pow(Math.floor(curX - nSX),2) + Math.pow(0.5*Math.floor(Math.abs(curY -nSY)),2) ))/10;
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Looks right, yet quite horrible. :-) Adapting the structure of Oolite’s function, I’d use:

var dx = Math.floor(curX - nSX);
var dy = Math.floor(Math.abs(curY - nSY) / 2);
var dist = Math.floor(Math.sqrt(dx * dx + dy * dy));
return 0.4 * dist;
In C, it’s:

static inline double distanceBetweenPlanetPositions ( int x1, int y1, int x2, int y2)
{
    int dx = x1 - x2;
    int dy = (y1 - y2)/2;
    int dist = sqrtf(dx*dx + dy*dy);  // N.b. Rounding error due to truncation is desired.
    return 0.4 * dist;
}
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Switeck wrote:
JensAyton wrote:
The time taken is exactly (well, give or take a femtosecond) 3/4 of the time to complete a successful jump. A misjump followed by a successful jump from interstellar space to the intended destination bumps the clock by exactly as much as a single successful jump.
Some time and some changes have occurred to Oolite since this post.

Oolite v1.79 trunk can do partial/percentage misjumps -- no longer are you stuck doing a misjump to the "halfway" point, although this tends to require OXP *.js scripting (or console commands) to pull off.
So what is the time formula for them?

I can reasonable guess what the 25% and 75% distance misjump times should be, as those are like doing 2 "regular" misjumps.

But what about say 81% misjump time?
...or a generalized formula for any arbitrary percentage distance?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

The generalised formula is that a misjump of fraction 'f' (0..1) towards the destination takes (2f - f^2) as long as the original jump would have.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

That looks good.

Seems that any misjump endpoint, jumping the remainder of the distance plus the original misjump equals about the time as the original "total" jump would take.