Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How many pylons do you have?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

How Many pylons have you got

None
2%
1 to 3
9%
4 to 5
59%
6 to 9
17%
10 or more
14%

Total votes: 58

Pluisje
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: How many pylons do you have?

Post by Pluisje »

Okti wrote:
Please Post a reply to this pole, if you have viewed it.
I'm just more of a lurker.

I just switched from a Caduceus Alpha to a BCC. So from 8 down to 5. I wanted to trade some more. Mostly use my pylons for fuel tanks.
manziket
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by manziket »

5 only. More seem to make assulting tough targets too easy. Similarly, I've not found the energy bomb to be of much use...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi Manziket, and welcome to the friendliest Board this side of Riedquat!

The energy bomb is seen by many of us as a 'cheat' and is due to be removed from the next major version of Oolite.
You'll find the pylons are used a lot for OXP equipment, not just missiles and mines, so they are useful. Most OXPs assume you have four (or more) because that's what the 'default' Cobra Mk 3 has.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I've got '10 or more' because I'm flying a Vector due to the multiplication bug some time back.
I find them a little too much, especially as I rarely use missiles. And I hate Q-bombs, it's too easy to frag oneself with it!
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Flying a python, I'm in the 1-3 group... I don't use them much because of that. I mostly have one quirium mine and one hardhead missile equipped.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Zireael wrote:
I've got '10 or more' because I'm flying a Vector due to the multiplication bug some time back.
Really? This would be a interesting result... :shock:
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Svengali wrote:
Zireael wrote:
Really? This would be a interesting result... :shock:
Not a direct result :D . When I suddenly saw I have 24 mln of cash instead of 240 thousand, my first thought was 'Buy a Vector' and so I did.
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

I have 4.

Because the Cobra has 4. Anything more then that is just silly. (I have yet to actually load them with missles. I just load Fuel Tanks.
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Well, I fly in two different ships/characters/users (pick whatever term you figure best applies).

One is the Cobra MKIII, the other is the infamous "It's not just for triangles anymore" Griff Boa.

So 4 slots or 8, depending on who I am on any particular session. So I picked "6 to 9", since 8 is my max. But I tend to be a bit "frugal" in playing style, and as such they're loaded with missiles, *if* I actually have all the pylon slots full. I don't use missiles more often than I feel is necessary or prudent, and I don't always keep the pylons full. I'd say I usually have at least two hardheads onboard though.

But, I mean, you go throwing around too many missiles and any bounties or trade profits you might have made are pretty much sunk, y'know? "It's only a game" and I do like sightseeing and adventure and all, but I really hate to pull into port at a loss. Simple game logic is that you need to make at least enough for another tank of fuel and to take care of occasional repairs, if you want to keep flying.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

On my Cobra, 4.
Personnaly, 5, but we will enter in a naughty subject.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
tnc
Average
Average

Post by tnc »

Hiyas,

So, I'm up for 4 as my butt has worn a firm imprint in my classic Cobra. Have tried a couple of different ships but have stayed with the Cobra due to nice blend of speed, power and cargo carrying.

To the all the authors: Excellent work! Thanks muchly.

Tim V.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

10 pylons, usually stocked with a couple of drop tanks, a couple of buzzbombs, and a mixed bag of nukes and military missiles.

Yes, I do use them. When engaging a tough one like a Dragon M, pirate Kirin, rogue Frigate, or Thargoid Battleship, I'm going to throw everything I have on him. And a nippy little fighter that keeps evading my lasers :roll: let's see him dodge a military missile for fun.

I don't worry about the costs. That's what scoops are made for.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

I currently flying a diamondback, which has six. I like the idea of having eight of them, though, so if I ever get around to learning blender I'll make a ship with eight hardpoints.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

I'm flying a Cobra Mk3, so 4 pylons. Typically loaded with three hard heads, the fourth one sometimes carrying a salvage missile, sometimes just staying empty when I expect I might have to pick up something special for a mission. It's enough for all enemies I came across so far.
Ad_Astra
Competent
Competent

Post by Ad_Astra »

I'm flying a Cobra Mk III, so four pylons, tooled up with one three-missile rack to each pylon - two Interception, one standard and and one hardened usually.
Now rated Deadly flying a Military Stingray in Galsector 2 causing chaos, panic and disorder as a hitman and trader.