Diso B?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

lave
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Deep in Leesti space mining asteroids for a living.

Diso B?

Post by lave »

I have the Diso oxp installed.

I notice there is a station called Diso B in deep space.

I tried to dock with it but as I entered the docking bay door, I hit it and died.

What exactly is this station anyway?

Thanks.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

It's a station added by Diso.oxp. Actually and if I recall correctly adding this station is about the only thing Diso.oxp actually does.

However, the station has a bug which makes its docking slit much smaller than it appears from the outside. To be precise: the internal docking area is rotated by 90 degrees. So when the outline of the docking bay is horizontal, the bay is actually vertical and vice versa. This makes it very difficult to dock without colliding with some wall. You have to fly a small ship and hit the dock dead center, in the small square area where the visible and the invisible dock overlap.

The reason is a missing key in the station's shipdata. Oh, and every other OXP which uses a copy of that station suffers from the same bug.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Would you mind posting a diff then to fix the station? (Assuming it's that easy to fix..)
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i've just had a look at the shipdata for that, and i can't see the station as having a dock defined at all, which will severely compromise your ability to dock there!
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

"Diso, we have a problem." *radio crackle*
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Killer Wolf wrote:
i've just had a look at the shipdata for that, and i can't see the station as having a dock defined at all, which will severely compromise your ability to dock there!
I noticed the same. But a station does not have a doc defined to be able to dock. I thing its an inheritance from the early oolite versions. And Diso station is old also.

When no dock is defined, Oolite falls back to use the ship key: port_dimensions as docking area. And when this is not defined it takes: port_radius as the port size with some generic dimensions. And when even that is not defined it simulates a dock in the centre. (Even the legacy versions of random hits had no dock defined)

For this oxp there is a port_radius defined. And it is possible that the default port position is 90 degree rotated as McLane suggests. He might be right, as entering the station with my Boa II gave no problem as it fits both ways (60 meter high and 65 meter wide)

The easiest fix would be to add a port_dimensions key.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I think I noticed the problem when I looked at the Tianve Pulsar station (which had a similar problem) with bounding boxes enabled. Defining a dock will solve it.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Eric Walch wrote:
Adding the following key seems to work with me

Code: Select all

<key>port_dimensions</key>
		<string>64x192x500</string>
The fix was tested with a cobra. It could dock without problems now. Maik uploaded it on his box account now. Its available from the wiki now as Diso v1.1
Last edited by Eric Walch on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

that's interesting, Eric. i take it that it limits the dock to being at the origin then, as opposed to (eg) my Nuit dock which was then shifted way up the Y axis? I was kinda hoping that would be a way to spoof a dock point at the docking arms of the Nuit, as it was designed to be.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Killer Wolf wrote:
that's interesting, Eric. i take it that it limits the dock to being at the origin then, as opposed to (eg) my Nuit dock which was then shifted way up the Y axis?
Yes, port_radius sets the port offset along the z-axis from the centre and port_dimensions sets the dimension. This old method does not allow defining a port with an offset along the x or y axis.
However, both values are overridden when you use a real dock subentity. In that case it uses the real dimensions and real position of the dock.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Diso B?

Post by Cholmondely »

Would there be any chance of an update for the Diso.oxp?

And was it indeed based on this?
rabidvixen wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:37 pm
Some of you might be familiar with the Coriolis Class station renamed to Longhaul Outpost (LHO), a sort of babylon 5 in the FEU scene since 1998. I was wondering if it would be possible to put LHO into Oolite for the PC? The station differs from existing stations in the FEU in that practically anything is legal, crimes are ignored for the most part, and located out on the edge of the Diso System, rather than close in around one of the planets or the primary, it is a unique stopping off and trading point for all manner of unsavory characters.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that in any universe which is as uniform as the FEU is, there will be "independant operations" that players will come across from time to time which have shall we say, rather unique, provisions for all comers. Further information on LHO is available upon request.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Re: Diso B?

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:43 am
Would there be any chance of an update for the Diso.oxp?

And was it indeed based on this?
rabidvixen wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:37 pm
Some of you might be familiar with the Coriolis Class station renamed to Longhaul Outpost (LHO), a sort of babylon 5 in the FEU scene since 1998. I was wondering if it would be possible to put LHO into Oolite for the PC? The station differs from existing stations in the FEU in that practically anything is legal, crimes are ignored for the most part, and located out on the edge of the Diso System, rather than close in around one of the planets or the primary, it is a unique stopping off and trading point for all manner of unsavory characters.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that in any universe which is as uniform as the FEU is, there will be "independant operations" that players will come across from time to time which have shall we say, rather unique, provisions for all comers. Further information on LHO is available upon request.
I think this was an influence. Ms. Berihn was an influential voice back in the day,

I'd love to do an update if I ever work out how to wrap it in a Griff level texture.
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!