Noobish "I've met Rebecca!" post

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Noobish "I've met Rebecca!" post

Post by Poro »

After a long time playing, I've only today just seen Rebecca Weston within the game. This was her opening gambit (click for bigger picture):

And here is what she was flying (does this change for other people?)

Note my altitude - that's how close I was to the Tianave pulsar! Only after I was finished bobbing and weaving along with Rebecca, and swung away to continue on my journey, did I realise how close I was to smashing into it. And have a look at what I saw on the news channel just two days afterward (click for bigger picture):

No wonder she was flying so close to that pulsar - she had started early on the Anlian Gins methinks! :D
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

As far as I know, Rebecca is part of Tianve Pulsar OXP, and you are likely to meet her around pulsar station.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Dammit, I though that some other OXP had put her in, and I just managed to meet her their by happy chance :roll:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Noobish "I've met Rebecca!" post

Post by Eric Walch »

Poro wrote:
After a long time playing, I've only today just seen Rebecca Weston within the game. This was her opening gambit (click for bigger picture):

But the sky is awful unrealistic. Its caused by a incompatibility with system redux and was very likely never intended to be so colourful by the author. I saw this effect before with Inonics.oxp. One oxp is increasing the size of the clusters, while the other oxp is increasing the number of the clusters. Both alone give a good, more colourful result but, with both together you get to much colour and on many computers the fps count drops drastic on drawing this sky.

Hint for drew: Also add a blur count to the planetInfo.plist with a default value for the count in the pulsar.oxp. That way systemRedux will no longer interfere and the system looks again as intended. (It worked well for Inonics.oxp so you might look there)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Noobish "I've met Rebecca!" post

Post by JazHaz »

Poro wrote:
Hope you don't mind, thought that this was a nice image so I have grabbed it and put it up on the Snoopers OXP wiki page! 8)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Excellent! I had fun coming up with those along with Drew. (That's one of Drew's of course)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

@DaddyHoggy: Yes, the'ye funny to read through. I naturally start to get very serious when I play sci-fi games, and the irreverent style of the news updates always lightens the mood.

@JazHaz: Goos idea. Rebecca will only recognise she has a problem with the Anlian Gins when she can no longer keep it secret. :wink:

@Eric Walch: Yes, I always wondered why it was so colourful. At first it wowed me, and I just put it down to the special nature of the system.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Hint for drew: Also add a blur count to the planetInfo.plist with a default value for the count in the pulsar.oxp. That way systemRedux will no longer interfere and the system looks again as intended. (It worked well for Inonics.oxp so you might look there)
I was with you all the way up to 'Also'. :lol: :shock:

<vaguely plausible>I figured the extreme nebulosity was down to the remains of the star's atmosphere being blown off into space after it became a pulsar. Tianve was once a double star system.</vaguely plausible>

Snoopers was fun. Must write a few more of those.

As for Rebecca, I disclaim all responsibilities for her, real, imagined, fictional or non-corporally lurking around on the forum. <looks nervously over shoulder>

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

You're quite chatty for a corpse. :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

'He got better!' :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

@Daddyhoggy

That's the benefit of this forum software, not only is it multi-processor and multi-thread, it's also multi-verse! :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

drew wrote:
@Daddyhoggy

That's the benefit of this forum software, not only is it multi-processor and multi-thread, it's also multi-verse! :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
Ah, so it's not that "Drew is dead" - but "A Drew is dead" (or at least a quasi-dimensional existence potential has dropped to close to zero) :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

Ah, so it's not that "Drew is dead" - but "A Drew is dead" (or at least a quasi-dimensional existence potential has dropped to close to zero)
Thats what he thinks! :twisted:

B.

ps. watch out for the other rebecca!!! she shoots first and asks questions later in my experience!!! Totally different from me, who shoots first and then asks... hmmmmm
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

From what I've read of the young lady I doubt she will go to such extreme lengths to assassinate every quantum split of Drew in existence. It would make for a very dull and predictable publication.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Nah Rebecca: you'd just shoot first, then command a certain feline to clean up the mess after :P