Wolf

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Wolf

Post by Killer Wolf »

I'm in the midst of designing a new ship based on the Wolf MkII that i intend to call the "Werewolf". Been plotting a back story but there's scant info on the ship itself. I believe it was introduced in the later versions (it was in the Amiga Elite, not sure where it made its debut), and the only stuff i can find on the Wiki is, i take it, fanfic and not canon.
i won't put anyone's nose out of joint by expanding on this, will I? Expanding as in adding to, not rewriting.
Quick check shows it was done by Murgh who doesn't appear to have posted since 2007??
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Wolf

Post by Disembodied »

Killer Wolf wrote:
i won't put anyone's nose out of joint by expanding on this, will I? Expanding as in adding to, not rewriting.
I wouldn't think so ... the past is fixed but the future is unwritten :). Speaking as a Wolf Mk II SE pilot myself, I'd say go for it! There doesn't seem to be any official canon on the Wolf, anyway: I've had a quick google and all the references I've seen to the ship in other version of Elite make the point that there isn't any backstory. It's a wide-open field as far as I can see.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

All I know about the Wolf is:

It was first seen about the same time as the Cobra III and has the same approximate stats

It was first seen in the 16 bit versions (Amiga for definite, not sure about the ST etc)

One rumour states that it was based on Thargoid technology (can't remember where I read that) since it has 8 sides

All source material is likely questionable (since I can't remember where I heard it).
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Selezen wrote:
It was first seen in the 16 bit versions (Amiga for definite, not sure about the ST etc)
As far as I'm aware, the only difference between the Amiga and ST versions was slightly better sound & music on the Amiga. Otherwise everything was the same.

The Wolf was definately in the ST version, it was a right royal pain-in-the-butt! :)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Sydney2K
Competent
Competent

Post by Sydney2K »

Killer Wolf wrote:
the "Werewolf"
Does it transform? *looks forward to the Werewolf.*
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Sydney2K wrote:
Killer Wolf wrote:
the "Werewolf"
Does it transform? *looks forward to the Werewolf.*
Hmm, cant make animated models in Oolite (but can do animated textures) However, could make it so it spawns a different "transformed" ship on death :P
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

cheers for the info, everyone.

transforming, heh. sadly no, but it'd be nice if we could. wouldn't mind doing a swing-wing vampire, have her sweep the wings back when she going into attack mode.
Sydney2K
Competent
Competent

Post by Sydney2K »

Killer Wolf wrote:
wouldn't mind doing a swing-wing vampire, have her sweep the wings back when she going into attack mode.
Which of course is pointless in space, and pointless for the prey, as he or she (or it) wouldn't be able to enjoy the aesthetics for very long.

Unless it's me, in which case the pilot of the Werewolf would find his career cut real short.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

there is no aerodynamic reason to change wing configuration in space but that does not mean it is pointless. It could be that the wings house heatsinks or long range scanners which operate best awat from the body of the ship but can be folded away to decrease effective size of ship making it harder to hit.
Once the designer decides a swing wing is in, he then takes advantage, sensitive missile guidance etc may be fitted such that it is protected during normal flight and exposed when folding the wing.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

As per Cmdr James.

also, you're forgetting the most important aspect of features in ship design : it makes it look cool :-)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Cmdr James wrote:
there is no aerodynamic reason to change wing configuration in space but that does not mean it is pointless. It could be that the wings house heatsinks
Aerodynamics, heatsinks? In space? :roll: :evil:
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

JazHaz wrote:
heatsinks? In space? :roll: :evil:
As has been pointed out several times on this here forum, heat management is one of the most important issues in spacecraft design (although I think the word Cmdr James was looking for was “radiators”).
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

JazHaz wrote:
Aerodynamics, heatsinks? In space? :roll: :evil:
Heatsinks are very important in space, what with vacuum being such a terrific insulator and all ...

Edit: nitpick ninja'd!
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

aeros - the Vampires are atmospheric capable. i dunno why i bother doing info pages on my ships, it seems no one reads em :-(
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Killer Wolf wrote:
aeros - the Vampires are atmospheric capable. i dunno why i bother doing info pages on my ships, it seems no one reads em :-(
I don't fly your Vampires. Never liked atmospheric ships/planes ever since Frontier.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.