Morrigan and aquatics guardian defence system

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Jon Ridgway
Above Average
Above Average

Morrigan and aquatics guardian defence system

Post by Jon Ridgway »

Hi,

Just upgraded to the Morrigan and purchased my self a shiny new Guardian defence system. Only problem is every time I'm attacked and the guardians launch I'm destroyed by them as they collide straight into me. I assume its something to do with the missile launch position (as one isn't define for the Morrigan) - but changing this doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Jon.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It's not the missile launch position, it's the aft eject position (that's where the Guardian's are launched from). It sounds (without looking at the OXP) that perhaps the position isn't defined for the Morrigan, so they're appearing at the centre of your ship.

As a test, try dumping some cargo pods and see if they survive or not. They should be dropped from the same position that the guardians are.

Alternatively check the shipdata.plist entry for the player Morrigan and see if the eject position is defined or not. See the link near the start of this post for more details.
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva »

ooh
Whats this guardians defence thingie - I've missed that.... :?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

A little reward in Aquatics. As the readme says, the Aquarian Shipbuilding Corp would be very grateful if you could help them out with their little problem with the Kraken ;)

They have a very large and powerful R&D department...
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
It's not the missile launch position, it's the aft eject position (that's where the Guardian's are launched from). It sounds (without looking at the OXP) that perhaps the position isn't defined for the Morrigan, so they're appearing at the centre of your ship.
Not defining an aft_eject_position should not be a problem. When not defined Oolite calculates a value just behind the ship. So for ejecting cargo this is not a problem. However, I have seen cargopods been ejected intact after killing a ship, and than being smashed in pieces on colliding with the derelict that was slowing down.

This means than a good aft_eject_position should not only be behind the ship, but also a bit below it.
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva »

Thargoid wrote:
A little reward in Aquatics. As the readme says, the Aquarian Shipbuilding Corp would be very grateful if you could help them out with their little problem with the Kraken ;)

They have a very large and powerful R&D department...
ooh, something else to do when I re-visit G3 then.
Nice one T
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Morrigan and aquatics guardian defence system

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Jon Ridgway wrote:
Just upgraded to the Morrigan
How do you get on docking when you're a fugitive? or at Rock Hermits?

(I always crash, scrape gouge BANG!)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The main thing is to position your ship correctly, which is easier for a Rock Hermit and generally any non-spinning dock than for main stations.

Remember that in most ships the cockpit is above the plane. So you have to visually aim for a spot above the docking bay's centre, not for the centre itself.

Personally I am flying an Imperial Courier, and I find it quite difficult to dock with a Rock Hermit without scratching my hull, because of my ship's geometry. Through its nacelles it is widest at its lowest point, which doesn't fit very well with the hexagonal shape of a Hermit docking bay. No problems with the box-shaped docking bays of stations, however.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Commander McLane wrote:
Remember that in most ships the cockpit is above the plane.
That sounds most excellent advice to remember, for several ships!
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Morrigan and aquatics guardian defence system

Post by Screet »

Jon Ridgway wrote:
Only problem is every time I'm attacked and the guardians launch I'm destroyed by them as they collide straight into me. I assume its something to do with the missile launch position (as one isn't define for the Morrigan) - but changing this doesn't seem to fix the problem.
I had the same problem with the Caduceus, however that was not destroyed by the guardians but the guardians instantly destroyed by my ship. Especially annoying if I am still slowing down from torus drive or launching from a station, those guardians had a 100% crash.

I myself solved it in two steps:
1) Modify eject position to be behind and BELOW the ship (as Eric already suggested)
2) Add a timer to the guardian script to release them only 5 seconds after condition red and only if the player has slowed down (otherwise wait another 5 seconds).

Screet
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Commander McLane wrote:
Personally I am flying an Imperial Courier, and I find it quite difficult to dock with a Rock Hermit without scratching my hull, because of my ship's geometry. Through its nacelles it is widest at its lowest point, which doesn't fit very well with the hexagonal shape of a Hermit docking bay. No problems with the box-shaped docking bays of stations, however.
Does the IC's docking computer cope with Rock Hermits? Or does it also have problems?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Don't know. I never use the Docking Computers, because their overall performance isn't too impressing (one of the very few details in which Oolite fails to live up to Elite). It's either insta-dock or manual for me.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Commander McLane wrote:
Don't know. I never use the Docking Computers, because their overall performance isn't too impressing (one of the very few details in which Oolite fails to live up to Elite). It's either insta-dock or manual for me.
Me too. But it would be interesting to see what happens!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

docking computers always crash - with much grinding (The Morrigan)

manual docking about 95% crash rate (but that's positioning the ship as the docking computer seemed to, NOT as suggested by Commander McLane.
Remember that in most ships the cockpit is above the plane. So you have to visually aim for a spot above the docking bay's centre, not for the centre itself.
testing docking computers now with ImpC
..seem to be centrally aligned
..lots of banging going on
..shields depleted
energy banks collapsing!

but we made it - docked