help with trident down

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Fell
Average
Average

help with trident down

Post by Fell »

hi,
first thanks alot for all this...

secondly can anyone give me any clues ont the Trident Down mission please ?

I've visited the ship design csntre and been given the lead to look for the Alkrab ''after going missing on an attempted witchspace jump to Ontesoge"

trouble is I cannot pick up the trail and non of the numerous planets I've visited have heralded me with any snippets of information to enlighten me...which is kinda frustrating

is this a bug or am I missing something elementary ?

cheers
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

It's a bit cryptic, this bit. I'll give you the same clue as I gave before in an earlier thread:

1. The Alkrab was heading for Ontesoge as part of a withdrive test.
2. The engines were using controlled misjumps to break the 7ly limit
3. According to everyone at Ontesoge, the Alkrab never arrived
4. Your contact at Jane's suspects that a catastrophic witchdrive malfunction occurred somewhere on the way

Do you know what happens when a witchdrive fails?

You can find the answer in this thread.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
Fell
Average
Average

Post by Fell »

thanks alot for your help

Most of the Elite game play ( so far ) is of pretty straight forward logic, and I was thinking....this isn't fitting the pattern and getting a bit worried, as I've encountered one or two strange 'bugs' recently ( ore processor that continues to make the sound effect relentlessly when not being used and giant battleships that aren't any use in a battle ! )

glad it's just me being a bit thick/unadventurous

Once again thanks to all for giving me the chance to gain elite status, after a 20 odd year interval

Cheers
Fell
Average
Average

Post by Fell »

hmm a misjump ?...think I've only had one of those in my entire progress up to elite....think that was the product of not keeping up with maintenance

can a mis jump be activated at will ?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Yes, just like in elite you need to pitch up (or down, I forget which) when entering the wormhole.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Cmdr James wrote:
Yes, just like in elite you need to pitch up (or down, I forget which) when entering the wormhole.
Wasn't that the ctrl key on the C64?

Screet
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Dunno, I never played on a C64. I think up (or down) was pretty standard on most systems.

EDIT: In fact, it might have even varied between versions, I dont know if overseas versions of C64s etc had different keyboard layouts? Certainly modern PCs do, but I have no idea about old stuff, I only ever saw UK models.
Fell
Average
Average

Post by Fell »

just competed this oxp

thanks for the oxp and the help

really enjoyed it

got a medal 300,000 cr plus 20,000 so now have traded the Falcon for a nice Kirin to plod along in

just one thing I'm puzzled by....the end passage mentioned a freedom or immunity in Commie systems...is this subject to being revoked as the police have just attacked me ?
Cheers
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

What should happen is that when you enter or launch from a communist system, your legal status will be reset. If you get into trouble in between that the police may still attack you.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Cmdr James wrote:
Dunno, I never played on a C64. I think up (or down) was pretty standard on most systems.

EDIT: In fact, it might have even varied between versions, I dont know if overseas versions of C64s etc had different keyboard layouts? Certainly modern PCs do, but I have no idea about old stuff, I only ever saw UK models.
Was going to reply to this before now but slipped my mind. Yes some overseas C64s had a different keyboard layout. For example the French versions had a AZERTY layout, compared to the UK's QWERTY.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Ramirez wrote:
What should happen is that when you enter or launch from a communist system, your legal status will be reset. If you get into trouble in between that the police may still attack you.
You could for example attack a trader and have it witnessed by the police...
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Sisela Ytheleus
Average
Average

Need some advice concerning Bodarenko hideout at Isanla

Post by Sisela Ytheleus »

I found Bodarenko's hideout and deposited the package in his ship.
But that's all. :-(

I have no clue how to trigger remotely the delivered package after he started his inspection tour.

- I tried my ECM and a radio mine but no success.
- I moved to a distant position and oberved what could happen, but nothing happened.
-Actually I should be able to trigger the package. But I did not receive a remote trigger device from Commodore Delaney after his briefing.

Any ideas???

Btw. Trident Down conflicts sometimes with the UPS-OXP.
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

I assume you're running the latest version of the mission (v1.4?)

After the briefing, when you launched you should have received a message telling you to collect a package from outside the station - this is the trigger device. You'll need to make sure you have a pylon free for the device to be loaded properly.
Sisela Ytheleus
Average
Average

Post by Sisela Ytheleus »

Hi Ramirez! :D

Thanks for your advice! :)

Yes, I am running the latest version (1.4)
I reloaded an old game state and repeated Commodore Delaney's briefing.
But there wasn't any message during or after the briefing that gave a hint on the special "radio bomb" package.
Because I knew what I was looking for I was able to collect the package.
But without that hint you won't check every debris floating around the station.

As far as I know the package can be triggered with my ECM.

Btw. where is the difference between that scooped radio bomb and a standard off-the-shelf radio bomb that I can get at most high-tech stations? I am asking, because I bought such a device when I tried some possible solution approaches concerning the triggering of the hidden package inside Bodarenko's ship.
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

That's strange. I've double-checked the script and there's a comms message that should come up at the same time as the package is spawned outside the station. However I haven't played this bit of the mission for a long time - maybe messages from other ships got in the way. I'll have a look into that.

To explain a bit more about the bomb: I was around halfway through the development of Trident Down when I had an idea to get the player to plant a device and set it off remotely. I worked this into the story and then hard-coded it to deal with Bodarenko's ship. A bit later on I was working on more weapons for Missiles and Bombs and I decided to add a remote control bomb as well, but one which worked more generally and could be set off by an ECM signal. Admittedly this has probably caused a bit of confusion - in fact you've probably noticed that quite a lot of the weapons in Missiles and Bombs started off as ideas in Trident Down.