Wheel Reinvention - The Oolite Icon

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Wheel Reinvention - The Oolite Icon

Post by KZ9999 »

I have not been able to find a copy of the Oolite Logo as a vector image for the game manual project. The current bitmap gets horribly blocky when scaled on the printed page. In the end I've had to recreate it. I submit it for your review and comments. (All images I have created are currently black and white sketches, colour can be added later.)

The Current Logo we all know and love
My recreation of the Current Logo

Being a bit of a fiddler, I thought the typeface might look better in a serif style.

The logo with the new typeface set below the Logo.

This image also works quite nicely as a Icon as seen here at 64x64 pixels
and at 32x32 pixels.
(If they were to be used as game icons, I would redraw them for a cleaner look.)

The original Elite Logo as seen on the Acorn Game Manual for reference.

So what'a think? I know my version is a bit on the squat side at the moment, but that's a fairly easy fix since it's all vectors.
Post your comments, complaints, etc...
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
prallo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by prallo »

I like the logo with the typeface below the logo.
Jack_H
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Jack_H »

Your fellow looks a little fat to me, but I think if the wings were taller and wider it would balance it out. Of course that will make it look like the original, and thats probably not what you're going for :)
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Wheel Reinvention - The Oolite Icon

Post by ClymAngus »

When people are happy with this I'll be personally slapping it on all the vector maps and crediting KZ9999 accordingly. Thank you for taking this on KZ9999. It's been on my "to do" list for quite some time.

Any chance of getting the vector? I'm itching to have a play. :D
KZ9999 wrote:
I have not been able to find a copy of the Oolite Logo as a vector image for the game manual project. The current bitmap gets horribly blocky when scaled on the printed page. In the end I've had to recreate it. I submit it for your review and comments. (All images I have created are currently black and white sketches, colour can be added later.)

The Current Logo we all know and love
My recreation of the Current Logo

Being a bit of a fiddler, I thought the typeface might look better in a serif style.

The logo with the new typeface set below the Logo.

This image also works quite nicely as a Icon as seen here at 64x64 pixels
and at 32x32 pixels.
(If they were to be used as game icons, I would redraw them for a cleaner look.)

The original Elite Logo as seen on the Acorn Game Manual for reference.

So what'a think? I know my version is a bit on the squat side at the moment, but that's a fairly easy fix since it's all vectors.
Post your comments, complaints, etc...
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I like a lot.

I like both the serif inside the icon and the version where it is below (cleaner looking?).

Well done.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Looking at the original compared to your vector version, it seems the wings of the original are angled up maybe 10 degrees more. For me at least, I feel the steeper angle looks better..

However, very nice work! :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

The Elite Logo on the manual as shown on that picture has a ratio of about 1,76.. when height is measured against half of the horizontal width.

I wouldn't be surprised if it has been stretched a bit somewhere in the digitalisation process so the actual ratio is 1.618~

Like this...

for the math geeks...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

That ratio is usually most pleasing to the human eye.
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Math geeks dont need pointing to the golden ratio when they see that image ;)

For what its worth I like the top sketch best, but would prefer it without the lines inside the text (you can see these are missing from the original oolite icon shown). So I guess what I am saying is that I like the original.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Cmdr James wrote:
Math geeks dont need pointing to the golden ratio when they see that image ;)

But always good showing people how you can use maths, in your designs.
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Wheel Reinvention version B

Post by KZ9999 »

I love how a post like my can evolve in to a discussion about the golden ratio. This is why the Oolite community is so choice (to use the words of my people :D ) I have actually focused the redesign on a mathematical basis. All of the 'blocks' are made up from fixed pieces (the bottommost triangle and circle) to get a even scale, something that was missing from the original. Anyway based on the feedback so far, here is the improved Logo.

Version b.01: with the wings fixed.
The wings now look right but the head looks like its being covered by them.

Version b.02: I've added a winged helmet inspired by the winged robot head of the original design.
I think the extra height makes the figure looks more balanced. If anyone got any alternative suggestions make a post.

Version b.03: now colourised.
The colours are provisional. This version is more about showing where the gradients are going to flow. I've gone with a base colours Aqua (#00FFFF) with a Navy (#000080) shadow tone. If anyone has any ideas for the colour choices, post your suggestions.

Version b.03 on a complex background
This is just a play with the image to show how it would work on a complex background.

Don't worry ClymAngus I'll be uploading the source vector designs in a Inkscape/SVG/EPS zipped package. I'll be holding off uploading it till it's finalised and the command team approves the design. (Of course it will all be CC'ed and with a set of measurements and notes so that others can pick it up after me.)

As before, post what you think and I'll see what I can do.
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Personally I definitely like the typeface inside the logo better. My feeling is that placing it below the logo makes the whole thing too vertical. The original logo is more on the horizontal side of things (being--or at least looking--wider than high). All of your versions are higher than wide.

I also would like to point you to one feature of the original font which always stood out for me: the considerable length of the horizontal bar of the "L" (making the letter almost square). In your replacement font it is much shorter. If possible I would ask you to make it longer.

Generally it's a good idea to vectorize the logo. Thanks! :D
Last edited by Commander McLane on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flashheart
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Flashheart »

I think the little guy looks far too 'cutesy', like a little cartoon viking (!)

What about making him more like Boba Fett or a stormtrooper (I'll wash my mouth out now) with a winged helmet? i.e. more agressive looking?
Flashheart
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Flashheart »

Commander McLane wrote:
I also would like to point you to one feature of the original font which always stood out for me: the considerable length of the horizontal bar of the "L" (making the letter almost square). In your replacement font it is much shorter. If possible I would ask you to make it longer.
Applies to the E and T too.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

It's cool, but yeah, not sure about the helmet. I liked the text inside the logo (kind of made it look like a badge). And it does look a tad on the thin side.

I would say how ever that there's no harm in having several variations on a theme. When it comes to logos :)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

As it happens, I’ve been planning (for about a year and a half…) to run a competition for a new Oolite icon. The main problem as far as I’m concerned is that the current one’s resolution is too low (Mac OS X 10.5 supports 512 × 512 pixel icons, Windows Vista supports 256 × 256, we have 128 × 128). I’m about to leave for the weekend, so I’ll put up an official post next week, but the requirements will be something like:

Required deliverable
  • One 512 × 512 pixel icon with alpha channel, designed to composite against arbitrary backgrounds and be recognisable at resolutions down to 16 × 16 px.
Optional extras
  • Hand-tuned icons at sizes: 256 × 256 , 128 × 128, 64 × 64, 48 × 48, 32 × 32, 16 × 16.
  • A monochrome version of the icon.
  • A vector version of the icon.
  • A larger version of the icon (1024 × 1024 or above).
  • Any original files used to create the icon.
I will create appropriate document and OXP icons for each platform based on the application icon.

All submissions must be licensed to the Oolite project for distribution under Oolite’s dual license and any future license Oolite may switch to. The prize consists of winning. The judge’s decision is final and may not be appealed. Bribes are fine, though.