Military Scanner Filter?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Military Scanner Filter?

Post by Wiggy »

I'm thoroughly enjoying Realistic Shipyards, which has put countless new ships and opportunities into the game. The first time I saw a "Falcon" scream by, I just had to take a picture!
Anyway, I went into one of the enormous Ship repair yard vessels, and I bought a couple of equipment items relating to "Military Scanning Filter".

Can't find anything about these on the Wiki. What do they do?
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Military Scanner Filter?

Post by Screet »

Wiggy wrote:
Anyway, I went into one of the enormous Ship repair yard vessels, and I bought a couple of equipment items relating to "Military Scanning Filter".

Can't find anything about these on the Wiki. What do they do?
Those scanner things are two, one makes the ship using it invisible on the scanner for others and prevents missile locks while the other one counters that feature.

Screet
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

Still had plenty of attention from other vessels and loads of missiles fired at me!
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Wiggy wrote:
Still had plenty of attention from other vessels and loads of missiles fired at me!
It's the Military Anti-Scanner Countermeasures (MASC'M) that stops you getting the attention. The filter is the counter-measure against it, and will allow you to see and target any NPC ships that have one.

I think you're confusing the scanner with the filter perhaps? If you have a MASC'M you won't get any missiles fired at you (but will still get laser fire).
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva »

Thargoid wrote:
Wiggy wrote:
It's the Military Anti-Scanner Countermeasures (MASC'M) that stops you getting the attention. The filter is the counter-measure against it, and will allow you to see and target any NPC ships that have one.

I think you're confusing the scanner with the filter perhaps? If you have a MASC'M you won't get any missiles fired at you (but will still get laser fire).
Are you sure T?
i thought the MASC didn't work.

MASC for sale at tech level 15 systems for 150,000Cr
& Filter at tech 15 for 25,000Cr
Just seen them for sale at Quandixe, gal7 :wink:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Both work perfectly for me (although you need to stage-manage things to get an NPC with a MASC'M).

Simple test is to get a MASC'M and then go against a Thargoid warship. I guarantee you won't see any Thargons launch, as they are treated as missiles.

Then remove the MASC'M and try again, and it will launch them at you (if you give it chance).

This is of course without Cataclysm installed, or else that will arbitrarily decide you're not allowed them and remove them from your ship.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Thargoid wrote:
Simple test is to get a MASC'M and then go against a Thargoid warship. I guarantee you won't see any Thargons launch, as they are treated as missiles.
With your modified thargoid AI they do launch their thargons?!?

Side notes:
1) The MASC has been renamed in OSE to jammer.
2) Cataclysm can be updated by setting the variable for equipment allowed to true in order to allow those items

With OSE there's also ships with the filter, thus it's not perfectly safe anymore (while I still believe there should be more ships equipped with it). The MASC also disables itself if too much energy has been used up, for example by using the cloak.

Screet
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Screet wrote:
With your modified thargoid AI they do launch their thargons?!?
Not currently, as they are still launched via the missile role trick (for cross-compatability with "normal" thargoids and thargons and also for simplicity of keeping count).

But it wouldn't be difficult to do by using an AI and JS script pair to do so by spawning the thargons directly and using a counter in the script. Doing it that way would of course only work for the new Thargoid warships, not the existing ones (at least without things getting messy).