Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Slaves?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Baza
Competent
Competent

Slaves?

Post by Baza »

Just thinking...and apologies if this has been discussed before. But if you pick up an escape capsule you get a reward, either for capturing a felon or someone who i asume has been captured previously and held for nefarious means, you get a reward for their rescue. What about slaves? In a ton container one would expect that there would be quite a few people of various species, who are destined to be the 'workers' for the well off in the more seedy parts of the ooniverse, who are someones, sons, daughters, fathers and mothers and so on. My point is this, if you pick up a canister of slaves is there any way to give the player the opportunity to either do the right thing and 'rescue' them, getting a reward or choosing to sell them at a higher price?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

It has been discussed, but as far as I know it didnt go anywhere.
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Slaves?

Post by Davidtq »

Baza wrote:
Just thinking...and apologies if this has been discussed before. But if you pick up an escape capsule you get a reward, either for capturing a felon or someone who i asume has been captured previously and held for nefarious means, you get a reward for their rescue. What about slaves? In a ton container one would expect that there would be quite a few people of various species, who are destined to be the 'workers' for the well off in the more seedy parts of the ooniverse, who are someones, sons, daughters, fathers and mothers and so on. My point is this, if you pick up a canister of slaves is there any way to give the player the opportunity to either do the right thing and 'rescue' them, getting a reward or choosing to sell them at a higher price?
Money isnt the issue, its a moral issue, you can "create" your own storyline over what you did with the cargo.

My personal story when I pick up "slaves" depends on the situation. some times its a pod where the person presumably didnt have any insurance.

If they were themselves carrying slaves or narcotics they can spend their days as slaves themselves.

If they were "innocent" traders, or if they were the contents of slave cargo containers, I put them on the market and inform their next of kin where they are for sale.

If their life \ freedom means that much to anyone else they will pay the 20 credits to free them. If the person was that miserable a creature that theres no one willing to pay up to 20 credits for their freedom they probably deserve their place in life.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Pardon me, But why would you want to sell the slaves that you capture? Why not set them free? The next time you see a pcc, you are best off killing your self then.

Any way, there is a mission, in the UPS oxp that lets you bring a captured slave home. There are several other missions in it, too.

FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Davidtq »

FSOneblin wrote:
Pardon me, But why would you want to sell the slaves that you capture? Why not set them free? The next time you see a pcc, you are best off killing your self then.

Any way, there is a mission, in the UPS oxp that lets you bring a captured slave home. There are several other missions in it, too.

FSOneblin
For my current commander he WILL take his money where he can find it. He isnt a charity hes got a ship to run. He will give them a fair chance at freedom but he wont do it for free. Unless he considers them "unworthy" of the opportunity.

As with any other "product" If someones already in a slave cannister they were going to be sold anyway it might as well line my pocket as someone elses.

I wont Feed demand for slaves by buying them, but if no one wants to free them, Im not worsening the situation they were already by selling them on. If I consider them worthwhile I will give their "family and friends" the opportunity to buy them at "market Value".

As for escape pods, Space is no place for a pacifist, Almost any trader will have taken lives themselves. When you launch a ship you take your life in your hands, you've chosen to live a life of battle and danger to try to reap the rewards. You KNOW the risks.

Of course if the "slave" in question thinks Im being unreasonable I can withdraw the "token" humanitarinism... :lol:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

In such an universe with all kinds of non human races, were do horses end and slaves start?

If you have a green lobster from Lawi in your cargo as slave, has it the same status as a human slave or is it more like an animal in captivity? Will it do work for you, of do you just cook them alive and eat them.

Maybe it can even happen that your cargo of slaves are called slaves in one system but are considered food in the other.

Anyhow, it is not that difficult to add scripted cargopods to the universe that do contain slaves with a reward that are auto released on the next docking like the pilots. And as FSOnbelin writes: similar cargopods with scripted pilots are in UPS. (and the other way around also were pirate pilots are sold as slaves)
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Davidtq »

Eric Walch wrote:
In such an universe with all kinds of non human races, were do horses end and slaves start?

If you have a green lobster from Lawi in your cargo as slave, has it the same status as a human slave or is it more like an animal in captivity? Will it do work for you, of do you just cook them alive and eat them.

Maybe it can even happen that your cargo of slaves are called slaves in one system but are considered food in the other.

Anyhow, it is not that difficult to add scripted cargopods to the universe that do contain slaves with a reward that are auto released on the next docking like the pilots. And as FSOnbelin writes: similar cargopods with scripted pilots are in UPS. (and the other way around also were pirate pilots are sold as slaves)
Oddly enough Ive always thought of escape pods as carrying humans, stupid really when I made up my own ships for a feline species. So Ive now got to decide if my current commander is for or against "Alien" rights... I kind of like the idea of slaves maybe being sold for food as well another thought that hadnt occured to me, in a world full of edible arts graduates and poets :lol: More fun to be had with the "story telling" side there :D
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

The "magic words" according to James Alan Gardner, author of the book, Radiant.

"Greetings, I am a sentient citizen of the League of Peoples. I beg your hospitality."

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Radian ... 65/?itm=10

http://books.google.com/books?id=TFRSpL ... 1#PPA24,M1
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Eric Walch wrote:

What gives you the idea that humans are not sold as food, hmm? Or that they are not caged up like animals.... given branding... With their family simble for feudal nobles saying "Slave to and property of pentagram prophecy..."

FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I always had the idea that the various races in the galaxy had some kind of 'alien rights convention' much akin to our 'human rights convention'.

I aluded to the possibility that various races might consider other races as 'food'/'commodities' in Mutabilis with Captain Hesperus considering Rebecca as a 'Simian Delicacy'. Hesperus mentions that cooked humans were 'hard, but not impossible to come by'.

I suspect that Corporate and Democratic states would probably ban trade in slaves, but that it would be rife in the Anarchies and Feudal systems.

I'd always thought of ships in Oolite mostly being piloted by humans, but thats probably our human bigotry coming across! :wink:

Given the vast number of alien races and populations, there should be a load of felines, grubs, insects, canines, etc flying around.

I got the impression from the Dark Wheel that GalCop itself was perhaps founded by humans, and retained a human oriented view of itself and got Captain Hesperus to comment on this too.

Perhaps there are 'Equal rights for cats' and 'Equal pay for invertibrates' marches taking place in the Ooniverse? :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

drew wrote:
'Equal pay for invertibrates' marches taking place in the Ooniverse?
That's unlikely, they have no backbone for industrial action....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

But do they have a exoskeleton for industrial action? :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
drew wrote:
'Equal pay for invertibrates' marches taking place in the Ooniverse?
That's unlikely, they have no backbone for industrial action....

Captain Hesperus
<groan> He's back! :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

DaddyHoggy wrote:

And cuter than ever before. Did he get cosmetic surgery? :wink:
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

CptnEcho wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:

And cuter than ever before. Did he get cosmetic surgery? :wink:
Nope, it's all natural beauty, baby!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!