message display

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

message display

Post by Tivva »

Is there a way of disabling the irritating message displays in the centre of the screen, right over the target crosshairs.

ie. when on a Navy mission & you go of to fight the pirate clan at wherever, just as i'm lining up a target i keep getting "I've got one on my six." or "I need help" or suchlike in rapid succession that I can't get a bead & lose the chance of a quick kill or their shields get to rebuild while I can't take the shot...

TIA
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: message display

Post by Eric Walch »

Tivva wrote:
Is there a way of disabling the irritating message displays in the centre of the screen.... i keep getting "I've got one on my six." or "I need help" or suchlike in rapid succession
These messages are no part of the core game or from galactic navy as far as I know. That means that they are from an other OXP you installed. Easiest solution is to just remove the oxp when you don't like it.

That is the beauty of all oxp's: by adding or removing them you can just create the game environment you like best.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

If it's the problem I think it is, then it's from how Galactic Navy OXP is coded. I raised it a while ago (here), and apparently it'll be dealt with in the next version (although it's not that difficult a job to pull it out in the scripting if you're savvy enough). Said update though I think is overdue from the comments made in that thread.

The wingmen are somewhat verbose in their communications, leading to you fighting through an autocue. But other than editting or removing the OXP, there's no way around it at the moment as a general feature. In this specific case I found just using fuel injectors to out-run the wingmen worked. They're quite poor in combat anyway (most of the running commentary is from them getting hit and dying), I'd mopped up most of the enemy by the time they caught up.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

This does, however, raise the question of the message dialog. Perhaps we should think about being able to define where messages are displayed (and how big) in the hud configuration? It would also be nice to be able to scroll through a history of the last X messages received.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Maybe it could be an idea to seperate comms radio messages from ship's computer's ones and display the first in a neutral part of the screen (with small font characters maybe) and the others where they always are. Alternatively - and this is easier - we could disable display of radio messages in the middle of the screen and let them appear only in the Comms Log area. Even better, we could give an optional parameter to commsMessage and have the user specify if they want a particular message appearing middlescreen as well as in the Comms Log or not.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Personally I'd go for the 2nd option, have consoleMessage appear as it does on the large area between the HUD and the cursor, but amend commsMessage to just appear in the box at the top, without the duplication below.

That way if an author wanted to have the display as per the current commsMessage they could do a (new style) commsMessage followed by a consoleMessage of the same text (or perhaps define a third message type that does both?). The current set-up for commsMessage has always seemed something of a duplication to me to be honest.
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Thargoid's right on both counts. The chatty cathys will be seriously toned down in the next update, and said update is seriously overdue. I apologize on both counts.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

another_commander wrote:
Maybe it could be an idea to seperate comms radio messages from ship's computer's ones and display the first in a neutral part of the screen (with small font characters maybe) and the others where they always are. Alternatively - and this is easier - we could disable display of radio messages in the middle of the screen and let them appear only in the Comms Log area. Even better, we could give an optional parameter to commsMessage and have the user specify if they want a particular message appearing middlescreen as well as in the Comms Log or not.
Maybe a third parameter, so you can display text in the upper left corner, with a small font and delay like consoleMessage.. This would not intervene much with the HUD.. While i foresee some problems, with multiple messages, so it would be nice if the code could put the messages into queue, and display them after the previous message display time ran out...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935