right on commmander? yeeehawww!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

rollen
Competent
Competent

right on commmander? yeeehawww!

Post by rollen »

Recently I got a "right on commander" message after doing something that clearly wasn't "right on".
The scenario was this: An hour of honest trading and bounty hunting in the Nor nor Easternmost corner of Galaxy 1. After my last SAVE of the evening I decided to wind the evening down by letting off some steam. By this I mean to do some whoopin' an hollerin' outside the Coriolis Station. First a few near-misses followed by taking pots-shots at the beacon, Galcops, adverts and anything else within scanning range. The finale is to let rip with an massive Energy Bomb. This must have taken out 8 or nine ships at least. The next moment "right on commander" flashed on the screen..Anyone got any ideas why?

(p.s. Also, I'd be really interested if anyone else does the "whoopin' an hollerin'" bit at the end of the night..!)
"time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas"
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Heehee....

The right on, commander pops up occasionally after a certain amount of kills achieved. Regardless of legality issues
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Well yes, but I haven't seen it for aaaaaaaages, and I have made thousands of kills.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

@ rollen: Have a look at your F5-screen. You have been advanced in your ELITE-rating, probably from "Harmless" to "Mostly Harmless", or from "Mostly Harmless" to "Poor". This means you have made one step on your career-ladder towards "ELITE". Congratulations! Or, as the game puts it: Right On, Commander! :D (You do know that your ELITE-rating only depends on the number of ships you killed? Legal circumstances are not counted. And that the only goal of the game is to become ELITE?)

In other words: You just have met the very purpose of the game.

@ TGHC: I guess you have been ELITE for a long time. So no further advancements. :( (Although in the back of my head I seem to recall that you probably should get another "Right On, Commander!" after every 256 kills.)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

yes I think it was 256 which is why it's a bit puzzling.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

- my kill count was about 256 but at this point I didn't advance in rating since my next milestone is 512 for dangerous - I suppose the kill count is merely registering a certain number rather than an advance in rank. Is this some bit of old programming left over from the original game?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Yes, that is exactly the way it was done with the original Elite (ROC every 256 kills). The ROC is there to let you know that you are progressing.

As for not seeing it sometimes, it is probably due to the fact that it gets displayed in the middle of a million other messages (Bounty:XXCr, Incoming missile, ID locked on target whatever etc. etc.), so it might be difficult to see it before it scrolls out of screen.
Jason Whitelock
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jason Whitelock »

Rollen

I was obviousley never here, never said anything but........

If, while in the northeast corner of G1, you happened to take your 'whoopen and a' hollerin' to the Tianve pulsar (assuming you have the oxp) and drop a wee 'E bomb' or even better, a cascade weapon.

You will find yourself so much closer to the next ROC that bit quicker.

( i think i accidently took about 400 souls with a W&H exercise )

Didn't save up or go back for seconds of course.
SOLO
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

Set course for the Tianve Pulsar Warp Factor 5 Uncle Jesse!! Lets go git us some critters an hawgs! Yesssiree Bob etc etc....
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

Sometimes I do the yeehaw thing at the end of session, but I also play chicken with the stations, going as fast as i can and seeing if I can press shiftD before I crash into it. Simple pleasure for a simple mind.
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

sounds like a plan. looping the witchpoint beacon can be fun too..
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

still my personal favorite, but dropping a cascade mine just before docking with something destructable sends one shooting out into the far reaches of space. or at least it used to, i haven't tried it again for a couple of mini-versions. ^^
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

Good point. I sometimes wish I could do that at the motorway services when they try to charge you £2.50 for a regular cup of takeaway coffee.

Ahh if only life was as simple as Oolite....buy low, sell high and if thats too complicated there's always piracy.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

not to mention having lasers in your car.... ;D
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

I was really excited about the ROC once upon a time on a C=64...
I was confused because I hadn't progressed in ranking.
Selftaught english didn't really prepare me for it,
had to look it up in a dictionary and the cheap one I had did not contain enthymology or slang.
After some noodling I decided it was supposed to be some sort of "well done!"
Only years later I heard it again in I think Shaft, it went >snick< and has been a favourite ever since.

Right On Brotha!
Riding the Rocket!