Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Screenshots

Post by Smivs »

My screenshots folder is filling up with loads of images as I work through the Classic Ships WIP, and some of these are rather nice and would make good 'wallpaper' images. Most recently is this one of the Python Blackdog, spawned in the Aegis and with a Navigation Buoy from my 'Better Buoys' OXZ in the background. Click on the image below for a full-size (1900x1000px) version.

Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

That's not too shabby Smivs.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Today, after a long time, I actually sat down to play the game for a while. And the game rewarded me with a quite rare spectacle: A full-on combat outside a rock hermit, between a gang of pirates and the hermit's defenders. I considered jumping in but after witnessing what was going on, I decided to let them have a go at each other for a while and try to capture some of the intensity of the battle in screenies. It was around 12 to 16 ships (some jumped out during battle too) and it was simply amazing. And here is just a small flavour of what happened:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cool! I find that rock hermits and their environs are quite often the source of interesting entertainment!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Falcon777
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Falcon777 »

Wow, those are some beautiful pictures! Mostly because they have so many stars in the background, though that one with the ship nearly colliding into you is hilarious.

Out of curiosity, how DO you get so many stars in your skies?
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Cody wrote:
Cool! I find that rock hermits and their environs are quite often the source of interesting entertainment!
I feel as though Rock Hermits and their surrounding space are like the American gold rush days...
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Falcon777 wrote:
Out of curiosity, how DO you get so many stars in your skies?
The entire sky you see in those shots is the result of ZygoUgo's Cinematic Skies OXP, which I fully recommend if your system is anything above low-end.

If you want to get more technical than that, the number of stars, number of nebulae, scale of nebulae, chance of them clustering etc., are all controllable via planetinfo.plist. We distribute the game with a lot less stars and nebulae in the sky for reasons of performance on low-end systems, but you can adjust everything manually if your system can afford it. All the information required if you want to experiment with the settings can be found in the planetinfo.plist page on the wiki. Have a look at the Properties of the Sky section.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

I found the high number of stars to be great looking, wonderfull for screenshots but absoluteley disturbing when it comes to detecting enemy ships far away. First thing after some admiration of this Cinematic Scies OXP was to reduce the number of stars in this plist. The nebulae still look great :-)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

ralph_hh wrote:
I found the high number of stars to be great looking, wonderfull for screenshots but absoluteley disturbing when it comes to detecting enemy ships far away. First thing after some admiration of this Cinematic Scies OXP was to reduce the number of stars in this plist. The nebulae still look great :-)
You can alternatively try to experiment with the ambient_level value, which refers to the amount of ambient lighting illuminating the dark side of objects. Default is 1.0, but you can set it to higher than that if you want. It does brighten up things if you increase it and the reason you have difficulty distinguishing ships with Cinematic Skies is probably because the OXP sets this property to 0.05.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Oy.... Thanks. That explains a lot. I was not aware, that this OXP darkens the ships...
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Yep pretty as it is i removed it because i had trouble seeing anything. I couldn't even spot the stations. I already have the gamma set to 1.2 to brighten things a bit.
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Probably changing ambient_level would have been a better way rather than removing it. For ease of comparison, here is the same shot taken with ambient_level at 0.05 (OXP default) and 4.05 (arbitrary value to increase it). I am sure that the station in the second one is visible from much further away. Note also that the blackness of space doesn't change, only the level of lighting:

ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Uh, whow.... :shock:
I even tried to upload a new shipset and even there lighten up the tails of Krait and Gecko a bit wih a paint program. If I'd known, it's that easy.. :lol:
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Zygo's OXP's are great and I like the ambient level as it is. Seems very natural to me.
Cody

Post by Cody »

CaptSolo wrote:
Zygo's OXP's are great and I like the ambient level as it is.
It's a little too dark for me - I use ambient_level = 0.5; (what is Oolite's default?).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!