Firearms

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Neo_Jesus
Above Average
Above Average

Firearms

Post by Neo_Jesus »

Hello. first off i am new to the forums however have been playing this game for a long time. i would like to give gratz to all who helped in makeing and oxping this is truly a great game.

now enough of that.

Is it my imagination or are firearms the most useless of things to buy...they always seem to sell/buy for almost the exact same price everywere......is there something to them i am missing?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi, Neo Jesus, welome to the game and to the bb!

They're not the greatest trade item, certainly. The only time I've ever seen any real profit on them is buying them from a Convenience Store around an agricultural world and selling them in the main station. Even then they're just a stopgap if there's not much else to take: you're still better off with Computers, Machinery and Alien Items. You could try and see what the prices are like in a Dictatorship Imperial AstroFactory, though.
Neo_Jesus
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Neo_Jesus »

Alright thanks. i wanted to make sure it wasent just me and i was missing out on something XD
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

In actual fact firearms are probably the most profitable in percentage terms along with alien items, but you have to buy at the top and bottom of the price scales and to find those two extremes isn't very easy, so in reality it's not worth the effort. Some of the political character OXP's like commies and anarchies can throw up some interesting prices at the additional dockable places, so it's always worth checking them out.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hmmm! Interesting... I'd not noticed any great profits before, except now and then in the occasional Convenience Store, but then I'd not really been looking. Gun-running wasn't something I'd ever really considered. I suppose prices would be highest on Poor Ag planets?
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Yes, firearms go well at Poor Ags but on the whole the profits are not much better than computers which are obviously less hassle to trade in. Occasionaly, high-value (c. 100k) cargo contracts for firearms appear and can be worth it if you happen to have a large ship, but otherwise, stick to narcotics or the legal stuff.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE