Commies – Dictators question

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Commies – Dictators question

Post by Ark »

A quick question about those 2 lovely oxps

Is the concept of the writers to completely eliminate the native Galcop vipers by replacing them with peoples police, junta enforcers etc or the role for those extra ship is to coexist with the native Galcop vipers?

I am asking that question because I do not know if it is ok that sometimes I encounter Galcop vipers (the native ones – not those from new vipers oxp) in communists and dictators systems.
I am playing with 1.70

Thanks in advance
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Re: Commies – Dictators question

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Ark wrote:
A quick question about those 2 lovely oxps

Is the concept of the writers to completely eliminate the native Galcop vipers by replacing them with peoples police, junta enforcers etc or the role for those extra ship is to coexist with the native Galcop vipers?

I am asking that question because I do not know if it is ok that sometimes I encounter Galcop vipers (the native ones – not those from new vipers oxp) in communists and dictators systems.
I am playing with 1.70

Thanks in advance
I think that the Commie and Dictator 'police' units are given a higher probability of being spawned in the appropriate systems, but there is still a chance that the native Vipers and Viper Interceptors will be spawned. I've seen Viper Interceptors in squadrons with Ray Mark Is before.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Commies and Dictators add a certain flavour to the respective systems, e.g. by giving them their own police force. But this is about the system, meaning the planet and its government.

And while the system's government may exert a certain influence in its spacelines, we should never forget that the main stations are not run by the system's government, but by GalCop itself. So it is not only correct and understandable that GalCop has its police ships on and around the station, but it wouldn't be possible otherwise. If you never would meet any GalCop presence in Communist or Dictatorship systems, something would be very wrong. You would perhaps witness the very beginning of a secession-movement that could end in the break-up of GalCop itself...

(Note: This is not to say that a scenario like this couldn't be scripted and implemented in the Ooniverse, and BTW it has been discussed before; but in their present form neither Commies nor Dictators feature this scenario.)