Too much money

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Too much money

Post by Hoopy »

I've just reached 500,000 Credits (and a ship worth nearly 400,000). This means I can buy Q mines for fun and zip about the place using extra fuel tanks instead of bothering to buy it at the much cheaper price at the station.

So should there be something frivolous to spend all this excess cash on?

Perhaps a customisation shop where you can choose from a selection of paint schemes, laser colours and engine colours.

These could be ferociously expensive and levelled so that purple laser colouring might cost 10,000, blue 50,000, green 100,000, orange 250,000 or something.

Then if you had a load of very expensive stuff fitted it would be obvious to the rest of the ooniverse how rich you were. You could then get comm messages saying 'nice ship', or 'show-off', or begging requests for money, or pirates asking for huge sums to not attack you etc.

Maybe further extensions could have a regular customisation competition (every 50 days or so) and if you had enough stuff you could win something further.

Any thoughts? Any better ideas for spending excess money?
GothStag
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GothStag »

Cr 0.5 million and a ship worth Cr400k? I dream of those days :cry:

I like your ideas Hoopy. An idea I've just thought of is you could lend money (a bit like the black monks) to others so they can buy ships, equipment, cargo etc, charge interest and capital repayments then if they default hunt 'em down.
In memory of ma homey H-Dog.
Krunchin tha numbaz with tha Angels.

http://www.midstateoffice.com/index.php
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

oh yeah, that's a great idea. You could sign up to be a black monk enforcer. Pay a 500k to buy in and then you get given targets to hunt down.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Too much money

Post by Frame »

Hoopy wrote:
I've just reached 500,000 Credits (and a ship worth nearly 400,000). This means I can buy Q mines for fun and zip about the place using extra fuel tanks instead of bothering to buy it at the much cheaper price at the station.

So should there be something frivolous to spend all this excess cash on?

Perhaps a customisation shop where you can choose from a selection of paint schemes, laser colours and engine colours.

These could be ferociously expensive and levelled so that purple laser colouring might cost 10,000, blue 50,000, green 100,000, orange 250,000 or something.

Then if you had a load of very expensive stuff fitted it would be obvious to the rest of the ooniverse how rich you were. You could then get comm messages saying 'nice ship', or 'show-off', or begging requests for money, or pirates asking for huge sums to not attack you etc.

Maybe further extensions could have a regular customisation competition (every 50 days or so) and if you had enough stuff you could win something further.

Any thoughts? Any better ideas for spending excess money?
yeah buy an Anaconda and see if you can survive long enough in that to build up a ridicously large amount of money...

Remember Fueltanks, and E-bombs but no Q mines since you do not want to be running away from that in a ship that can do 1.4 lem at maximum speed...

hardheads is recommended too..

and intelligent route planning is also recommended...

Ripping of a station for all its goods is kind a fun...

ofcourse that would be with a loss, since buy cheap and sell exspensive is the way to go
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

are 'hardheads' and 'intelligent route planning' OXPs? I don't remember seeing them on the wiki...
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Hardheads is the slang term we've given to ECM hardened missiles, they are built in to the game proper. They can be destroyed with continual use of the ECM, and if you are running away from it.

Intelligent route planning is not an OXP, it's just using your loaf and not going to places that may be inhabited by too many undesirables.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Would it be possible, via an OXP, to pay to name stations, asteroids, etc.? For a hefty sum you could call a coriolis station of your choice "The Hoopy Shopper" or some such. Utterly trivial and pointless, but such are the pleasures of the super-rich... or perhaps you could alter the F7 descriptive text of a planet so you can be named as the owner of their Zero-G hockey team?

I'm not sure to what extent these strings are editable by OXPs, but if it's possible it might give grotesquely wealthy industrious commanders something to spend their dosh on.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Not really a way right now to get imput for the 'userdefinedname', but changing a station to a scripted one by player choice should be possible.

In any case, as a righ merchantman you have enough free time to write an OXP describing your favorite station complete with custom name.
Considder this an investment of your valuable time. (time is money afterall)

---
edit:
I think the hard'eds are broken in windows. I repeatedly drained my banks by continuous ECM mashing, but without success.
Riding the Rocket!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Some very nice ideas here! :D

I was mentioning a couple of times now to noob pilots who are struggling to buy the most basic equipment, that there will be a time when money is not an issue anymore. And I mean, really, no issue at all, like you could easily lose a couple of millions without really noticing it.

So I'd like to see a few more ideas on new ways of spending money for the super-rich. At least some of them will turn out to be scriptable.

In particular I love the idea of a custom paintjob for your ship, although it is perhaps the least scriptable one of all the ideas. But I would love the coders to look for ways in making this doable. For a start we would need the functionality to assign a different texture via a scripting method. Is there a chance that this could ever be done?

In the meantime, let your thoughts flow. You are incredibly rich and the Ooniverse is yours! What would you like to do this morning? And what to buy in the afternoon?
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

My ship is hard enough that if a missile hits it only takes about half a shield away. So if it's a hardened missile i generally just let it hit. Surely an anaconda would have even bigger shields?
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

It's possible to script in extra space stations so how about being able to buy a 2nd space station to go in orbit around a planet.

Perhaps you'd be given 1t of luxuries when you arrive representing your grateful employees giving you a huge hamper of champagne and caviar? :)

It could appear as an option in the equip ship screen perhaps?

Would it be possible to allow saving from subsidary bases as well? At present it's only the main station that lets you save.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hoopy wrote:
Would it be possible to allow saving from subsidary bases as well? At present it's only the main station that lets you save.
No, not possible. Look into the Oolite FAQ for the reasons why.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

I thought I'd read the FAQ but I'd missed that one...

If you'd 'bought' a new sapce station then it would be recorded in the save file. It's location could always be directly opposite the main station (ie the other side of the planet) so it would have a fixed location.

I guess the problem is that the code is not set up to allow the possibility of other fixed objects though so it still wouldn't work...
Faffer
Poor
Poor

Post by Faffer »

NPC mercenaries or wingmen for hire would be pretty cool, but would probably make the game too easy.

Drones that scoop up cargo for you would be really useful too. Then again, if you're mega-rich, you won't need to bother with cargo.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

How about script-generated begging letters, triggered after you hit X hundred thousand credits, offering you the chance to donate money to some good cause or other? You could end up as a patron of the "Save the Escercian Badger" campaign, or "The Bide-a-Wee Twilight Retirement Home for Old Commanders in Reduced Circumstances", or you could pledge to support "Stamp Out Squeak", or "The Campaign to Re-Inflate the President", etc.

Edit: if these were relatively rare, and rewarded you with medals, they could provide at least a Muttley-esque sense of achievement too.