Super Cobra or Tiger?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Viper
Above Average
Above Average

Super Cobra or Tiger?

Post by Viper »

Hi commanders!

Actually i use an iron ass Super Cobra.
Now i' m thinking about buying a Tiger, but I' m not sure.

The cobra has a 20% faster pitch and roll, but the Tiger is faster.
The Tiger could have 2 missiles more (i need only for the fuel tanks) but the Cobra has more cargo space....

I think, the Tiger is more difficult to hit.

What are your experiences about SuperCobra and Tiger?

Best regards,
Viper
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Interesting question, personally I prefer the Supercobra, but it got me thinking.

Which is the best fighting ship out there, the imperial courier must be up there, cos it's hard to hit.

Now I've got loadsacredits, trading is not important to me, killing and scooping is more enjoyable.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

TGHC wrote:
Interesting question, personally I prefer the Supercobra, but it got me thinking.

Which is the best fighting ship out there, the imperial courier must be up there, cos it's hard to hit.

Now I've got loadsacredits, trading is not important to me, killing and scooping is more enjoyable.
The Imperial Courier has to be the best! With a large amount of energy banks and fully tricked out, it's hard to beat. With a small silhouette, it's hard to hit, which nicely counters it's relative lack of speed and it has 100TC of cargo space to boot.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

On the other hand the Tiger is quite a bit faster than the new version of the Courier, but has one energy bank less, but then again carries two more missiles. Looks wise I'd go for the Courier, but I do like the Cylon like profile of the Tiger. There's not much to choose between the SuperCobra, Courier and Tiger, but I think the Tiger just has the edge due to the extra speed and the two extra missiles.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Viper
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Viper »

Hi commanders!

I decided to keep the Super Cobra:

Speed Pitch Roll Energy missiles cargo
SC 0.45 1.2 2.2 7 4 max 55
TI 0.5 1.0 2.0 7 6 50
IC 0.35 1.0 2.0 8 4 100

Speed: The SuperCobra is nearly as fast as the Tiger, the speed difference brings only a slow advantage.

Pitch/roll: In dogfighting situations the faster reactions of the Super Cobra are welcome.

Energy: If i would need 7 Energy banks, i should think my combat tactis over. So the extra Energy bank of the Imperial Courier is not needed.

Missiles: I do not need Missiles, but have a ecm harded one for reserve. I need the extra fuel tank and a beacon. So 4 missile pods are enough.

cargo bay: For pirate hunters a cargo bay of 50 tons would be enough.

I think the high speed and the best handling of the Super Cobra brings the best advantages, the other things will bring no advantage.

Best regards,
Viper
*cat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by *cat »

Does the shape and size of a ship affect how often you're hit by NPCs? Or is that some role-playing?
I know that I find ICs hard to hit, but I wouldn't want to get one only to find that NPC's aim is controlled by some other factor.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I think it does, not I'm not totally sure. The size of player's ship model is "really there" in the game world and does effect gameplay, so I'd assume that the a big model is hit more by NPCs than a small one. Eg Try docking a Longshot manually. This is a really cool (non-uber) little ship and nice alternative to the Cobra Mk III. Its missiles are stored in a underslung pod, If you forget to allow for the pod when docking, you will catch it on the docking port and take damage.
Last edited by LittleBear on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I'm certain the size of your ship is a factor in how easy you are to hit. I've just traded up from a Python Class Cruiser to a shiny new silvery-blue-green sweet baby of a Wolf Mark II, and it is so much easier to avoid incoming fire now that I only occupy about 25% of the volume of space.

Regarding docking, a tip for anyone considering buying a PCC: it's taller than it is wide. Save your paintwork, enter when the dock is vertical!