Fre the slaves

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Poovga
Competent
Competent

Fre the slaves

Post by Poovga »

Hello,

It is always a heartbreak when I scoop a container of slaves. I must dump the container to not become an offender. The slaves in the container were rescued by a clean guy. What does the good guy do ? Dump them in the open space...

Would it be possible to have a sort of mission to bring them back to their original world in the same Galaxy ? The one who frees the slaves should be a heroe in this world. There sould be a reward. Of course you have to jump from sun ton sun without entering the stations. In the original world station, you earn a reward like for rescueing an escape pod. I do not know what is possible with the program?

It is just to ease my conscience! This message helps too ;o)

What do you think?
Travelling is a dream, dreaming is a travel
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

You don't get an offender tag for selling slaves that you scoop.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Fre the slaves

Post by Frame »

Poovga wrote:
Hello,

It is always a heartbreak when I scoop a container of slaves. I must dump the container to not become an offender. The slaves in the container were rescued by a clean guy. What does the good guy do ? Dump them in the open space...

Would it be possible to have a sort of mission to bring them back to their original world in the same Galaxy ? The one who frees the slaves should be a heroe in this world. There sould be a reward. Of course you have to jump from sun ton sun without entering the stations. In the original world station, you earn a reward like for rescueing an escape pod. I do not know what is possible with the program?

It is just to ease my conscience! This message helps too ;o)

What do you think?
Well you can sell the slaves in the system picked them up.. thus not dumping them, without penalty... same goes for narcotics and firearms...

Not entirely sure of this but its only when you launch from a station with illigals that you will get offender status... At least so far i have not been tagged offender for doing this... i have not tried to jump from a system into another with illegal goods onboard..

As for the mission, that depends wheter or not if you jump to a new system where/if the in game logic will brand you an offender just for ferring slaves from one system to another.

furhtermore there is for a mission designer several aspects that would have to be solved..

1. how to make sure player does not get bounty hunters and police attack him when he is returning the slaves to their homeworld if scenario that player gets offender status for just jumping from one system to another with a cargo of slaves..

2. how to tell the player what world to goto without having him dock at a station that will brand him an offender when he launches from said station. allthough i suppose it could be made so that it says so in the system info screen, just like when you where hunting the constrictor...

3. what about extra cargo pods of slaves picked up during your voyage to the slaves homeworld.

4. with a potential 750 tons of slaves (anaconda) or 1112 (keelback "not yet released"), is that a mission pr tonnage slaves or should the mission remove all cargo onboard you ship once you reached your destination..

Mind that stations are not goverend by the planet, but independantly by Gal Corp.. at least that is how i understand it..

5. if we go by the fan fiction, the slaves are allready "mind wiped" in a science fiction setting way as we know it.. ie slaves that do your every bidding and never revolt... so just selling them to the nearsest station is not that awfull since they are not induvidials with goals/opinions/love/hate in their life anymore.. depending on your view of this.. the best thing for them would maybe to put them to death but thats in there with active death help / morales etc... i think in this scenario im sort of a black mage, they got no lives anyway so lets be mercyfull and releive theire pain with a nice "hadoken" / read laser....

My point on on point 5 is that if they are mind wiped, how would you know what homeworld to goto. Fat lizards goto the Fat lizards homeplanet of which there are several.. again Scripting this would be a challenge, and i bet a very time consuming one too...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Poovga
Competent
Competent

Free the slaves

Post by Poovga »

Thanks for the answer.

Selling them is not free them, they stay slaves on the market. I understand the program is not allowing to free them and would be too complicated to change.
Shall I put my morale back in my pocket? :?

I can believe there are donation trunks in some stations where I give a few credits to a End-of-Slavery organization. I could go only in worlds that prohibite slavery. I can also accept the Ooniverse like it is.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Re: Free the slaves

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Poovga wrote:
Thanks for the answer.

Selling them is not free them, they stay slaves on the market. I understand the program is not allowing to free them and would be too complicated to change.
Shall I put my morale back in my pocket? :?

I can believe there are donation trunks in some stations where I give a few credits to a End-of-Slavery organization. I could go only in worlds that prohibite slavery. I can also accept the Ooniverse like it is.
Maybe think up an 'Amnesty Ooniversal' OXP where, when you dock with scooped (or not scooped :twisted: ) slaves, you are approached by a official member of Amnesty, who will offer to liberate the slaves and give you half the local market value to cover your expenses....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Poovga
Competent
Competent

Amnesty Ooniversals

Post by Poovga »

Hello Captain H.,

Sounds great!
We may be the two first members :)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

It is for a programmer not possible to see what cargo is carried. However, it is a nice thought. As programmer you CAN create special cargopods that run a script if scooped. And he can award or remove cargo (without knowing how much there was present).
Give this cargopod a low probability for appearing and then, once in a while this cargopod will drift through space. It then just says the same thing as usual when scooped, but on landing you get an offer from the slave that starts the mission.

I am writing an OXP with friendly transport missions. This is the type of mission that fits the profile. Maybe It will be written and added to the next release. I just doday uploaded my version 1.0 release to EliteWiki. (It will be downloadable soon if I did it right.)
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Eric Walch wrote:
... for a programmer not possible to see what cargo is carried. ...
I'm sure that can't be true! :?

The cargo information is certainly held in each saved game, in the 'shipCommodityData' file. It must be possible to interrogate that file and find out if there is anything in the 'slaves' item.
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

The cargo information is certainly held in each saved game, in the 'shipCommodityData' file. It must be possible to interrogate that file and find out if there is anything in the 'slaves' item.
It is there alright, and the player can look into the file. For the programmer of scripts it is imposseble. (not for the programmer of Oolite of course, he can alter anything if time permits) There is only the command "addCargo" With a negative sign it becomes a remove cargo.

I was myself looking for a mission to bring a lot of metal to a station for construction purposes. But I didn't find a way to check if the player had the cargo on board.

Anyone else a idee. Or is looking at "cargo present" already planned in a next release?
Captain Hesperus

It must be do-able somehow, otherwise, how is it that a ship gains Offender status on launching when carrying 'not exactly legal' cargo?

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Poovga wrote:
Don't let the Spartans hear you...
Frame wrote:
Well you can sell the slaves in the system picked them up.. thus not dumping them, without penalty... same goes for narcotics and firearms...

As for the mission, that depends wheter or not if you jump to a new system where/if the in game logic will brand you an offender just for ferring slaves from one system to another.

furhtermore there is for a mission designer several aspects that would have to be solved..

1. how to make sure player does not get bounty hunters and police attack him when he is returning the slaves to their homeworld if scenario that player gets offender status for just jumping from one system to another with a cargo of slaves..

2. how to tell the player what world to goto without having him dock at a station that will brand him an offender when he launches from said station. allthough i suppose it could be made so that it says so in the system info screen, just like when you where hunting the constrictor...

3. what about extra cargo pods of slaves picked up during your voyage to the slaves homeworld.

4. with a potential 750 tons of slaves (anaconda) or 1112 (keelback "not yet released"), is that a mission pr tonnage slaves or should the mission remove all cargo onboard you ship once you reached your destination..

Mind that stations are not goverend by the planet, but independantly by Gal Corp.. at least that is how i understand it..
Eric Walch wrote:
It is for a programmer not possible to see what cargo is carried. However, it is a nice thought. As programmer you CAN create special cargopods that run a script if scooped. And he can award or remove cargo (without knowing how much there was present).
Give this cargopod a low probability for appearing and then, once in a while this cargopod will drift through space. It then just says the same thing as usual when scooped, but on landing you get an offer from the slave that starts the mission.

I am writing an OXP with friendly transport missions. This is the type of mission that fits the profile. Maybe It will be written and added to the next release. I just doday uploaded my version 1.0 release to EliteWiki. (It will be downloadable soon if I did it right.)
It could be done by adding a mission script to a special slave pod, then converting some of the slaves into passengers.
Let us say that one or two of them are VIPs on their homeworlds and they ask you to take them back and promise a reward from their families/governments.
If you accepted, all your cargo would be sold to free up space (easier than selecting what should go to make x tons of available space), and passenger cabins would be installed.
Frame wrote:
5. if we go by the fan fiction, the slaves are allready "mind wiped" in a science fiction setting way as we know it.. ie slaves that do your every bidding and never revolt... so just selling them to the nearsest station is not that awfull since they are not induvidials with goals/opinions/love/hate in their life anymore.. depending on your view of this.. the best thing for them would maybe to put them to death but thats in there with active death help / morales etc... i think in this scenario im sort of a black mage, they got no lives anyway so lets be mercyfull and releive theire pain with a nice "hadoken" / read laser....

My point on on point 5 is that if they are mind wiped, how would you know what homeworld to goto. Fat lizards goto the Fat lizards homeplanet of which there are several.. again Scripting this would be a challenge, and i bet a very time consuming one too...
What fan-fic? I haven't read that one, although I remember something from (I believe) Elite's manual on that. On all the fanfic I've read, the slaves are in natura.

Anyhow, that may apply to some slaves, but for the most part it's probably an expensive procedure that raises the cost too much and lowers their work speed/skill. Possibly a small operation could need them, but middle to large slavist installations would afford cutting on the cost by hiring a few slave drivers and security instead of paying for the double-priced and slower slaves.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
pepak
Competent
Competent

Post by pepak »

Poovga wrote:
While I don't feel quite the same way about cargopods of slaves, I absolutely agree with you on Escape Modules. I am always ready to rescue a poor doomed captain and it breaks by heart to see that the poor guy becomes a slave instead. I mean, he is a fellow human being and deserves to be worth those 500 Credits to my treasury, rather than being a mere 20 Credit thing. Slavery is inhuman and unjust and should be banned everywhere!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

uumm, Pepak?
Go ahead and scoop escape pods, and dock with them.

Your trading computer is stupid where it comes to escape pods, and can't tell the difference between them and a slave in a cargo container. But the station operators know, and will offer a bounty if the occupant is a criminal, or a share of the insurance payoff if the occupant is a trader or kidnapee.

It's often much more than 30 creds.

And not every spacer out there is human. Try it and see.

On that note, funny that you can Clean your record by bailing out, but the pirates can't. But then anarchies.oxp evens those odds.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Captain Hesperus

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
What fan-fic? I haven't read that one, although I remember something from (I believe) Elite's manual on that. On all the fanfic I've read, the slaves are in natura.

Anyhow, that may apply to some slaves, but for the most part it's probably an expensive procedure that raises the cost too much and lowers their work speed/skill. Possibly a small operation could need them, but middle to large slavist installations would afford cutting on the cost by hiring a few slave drivers and security instead of paying for the double-priced and slower slaves.
I think he's refering to hex-editing, which is a very costly procedure, or a simple pre-frontal lobotomy, cheaper (it can be done with an electrically charged probe nasally inserted) but with a higher risk of nuerological damage. Another possibility is that the slaves are vat-grown clones. No personality, no drives, no desires.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
There is only the command "addCargo" With a negative sign it becomes a remove cargo.
I wouldn't recommend that, because processing awardCargo: with negative values takes ages. Up to several minutes on my computer. And any player would just guess the game stalled and forcibly end it.

Long ago I requested new methods for quering the current cargo, and adding and removing any commodities. (Just follow the scripting requests-thread.) Ahrumans answer was (and is): not in the old plist-scripting model. (But there is a silver-stripe at the horizon: it's called JavaScript!)

(EDIT: replaced the erroneous 'addCargo' with the correct 'awardCargo')
Last edited by Commander McLane on Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.