How do you dock?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

How do you dock?

I'm a complete wuss - use the autopilot
32%
Fly to the buoy, then rotate to align nicely
12%
Fly to the buoy, then fly at the station at full tilt
17%
Full tilt but with injectors too
17%
Handbrake turn at the last minute
22%

Total votes: 41

winston
Pirate
Pirate

How do you dock?

Post by winston »

Personally, I come screaming in with the Witch Space Injectors perpendicular to the station's axis, and at the last second, turn off the injectors and do a 90 degree decelerating turn straight into the slot. I don't even bother trying to align with the slot :-) I think the entire docking procedure is over in about 2 seconds!
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Re: How do you dock?

Post by winston »

winston wrote:
... perpendicular to the station's axis
Of course I meant at right angles to the station's axis, but never mind!
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

usually something like sir Winston's method, but I still get a kick out of throwing the ship around at the buoy and afterburning in, gambling on aiming true just in time..
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Come screaming in, aim vaguely for the hole, and use the bounce-off to align if necessary.
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
cmdr drayton
Above Average
Above Average

Post by cmdr drayton »

Just for laughs try switching to rear view, flying towards the buoy and then aiming at the station with instruments. With the scanner on max magnification it is possible to dock blind (or looking in an unhelpful direction)

I've managed it both times I've tried it.

Otherwise, it's in between the station and buoy while looking out the side, turn to face the station and then in on afterburners. There must be a damn good arrestor hook in the station cause I've not bounced out again yet ;-)

Using mouse control makes it much easier
Olentzero
Poor
Poor

Post by Olentzero »

Eh... I'm a wuss. I dock as soon as I get in range. I think it's more out of impatience than a fear of getting my ship destroyed, though.

I did dock while looking out the rear window once but that was because I got distracted by something else and wasn't paying attention to the screen.
GusGus
Poor
Poor

Post by GusGus »

yeah. I think I use the shift + D more that I like to admit. :oops: But when I do routine trips between a poor agricultural planet and a rich industrial planet, manual docking just take too much time for me...

Sometimes I use the autopilot just to listen to the beautiful music. 8) And I love it when your ship start to spin with the station and you see the stars spin around you. :D

I wish I could have the docking music not stop when the docking is complete; but rather run until the song ends while docked... (or at least fade away) I tried using OoTunes but it still stops. do anybody know how to do it? :?
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Right then.

v1.41 puts a stop to a lot of these shenanigens. You can still dock as fast as you dare, but if your ship's not as small as an adder you'd better be lined up with the docking slit.

Learning to dock should be a brown trousered affair for Oolite neophytes, and I think I've restored that experience now.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Frd_Prefect
Poor
Poor

Post by Frd_Prefect »

lol Docking Computer every time for me from now on then! I inevitably bounce off a station at least twice as it is :P
Ford
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Naturally, if you like to stay on the wrong side of the law (fugitive) then you'll still be doing your fair share of manual docking... which keeps life interesting. :)
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
Olentzero
Poor
Poor

Post by Olentzero »

aegidian wrote:
v1.41 puts a stop to a lot of these shenanigens. You can still dock as fast as you dare, but if your ship's not as small as an adder you'd better be lined up with the docking slit.
Always did that anyway. Figured it wasn't worth the hassle trying to get in while misaligned. Of course, now that I've upgraded to a Python the matter does take on some greater significance. (Can't remember if I bought the docking computer already or not.)
Asp
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Asp »

aegidian wrote:
Right then.

Learning to dock should be a brown trousered affair for Oolite neophytes, and I think I've restored that experience now.
We need a speed limit inside the bay. :shock:
cmdr drayton
Above Average
Above Average

Post by cmdr drayton »

aegidian wrote:
Right then.
Quite right too!

One little request though - it would be very cool if you could still dock on instruments, which means you'd need some instrumentation to tell you the slot alignment if you're flying blind. Maybe make the indicator on the compass lozenge shaped.

This is pretty academic though without having damage to ships. But if you could have your forward view knocked out it would make things rather interesting ;-) Is there an plan for allowing damage like that?

And it keeps the element of brown trousering your way into the station!
AJ
Above Average
Above Average

Re: How do you dock?

Post by AJ »

winston wrote:
winston wrote:
... perpendicular to the station's axis
Of course I meant at right angles to the station's axis, but never mind!
Perpendicular = at right angles
AJ
Above Average
Above Average

Post by AJ »

I'd like to see an extreme docking computer that instead of going through the whole procedure at 80% speed, screams up to the slot at whatever angle happens to take you right next to it and executes a perfect turn timed to take you into the slot at the correct rotation. That would be cool.

Also, an external view would be nice while docking on auto.