Uber ship list

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

gabbakeisen
Competent
Competent

Uber ship list

Post by gabbakeisen »

It would be real convenient for Oolite newbies such as myself if there was a list of Uber ship OXP's so that anyone who wanted to keep things in perspective would know which oxp's to avoid. I'm not interested in removing all the difficult opponents, after all if I seen a giant ship in the distance and the thing hasn't yet appeared on the radar screen and when it does it says "Death Star" then I know I'm going to be in for it (Why do I feel I've just given some sadistic SW fan a brilliant new oxp idea?). I know this will be relative but if a few of the more experienced Ooliters could reply with what they consider Uber to the point of spoiling the game I'd be well pleased.
WooHoo! My fav game now redone for childhood nostalgia of 20 years ago. Now if only I didn't have to go to work so I could live as a virtual space trader.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Sounds like a plan, gabbakeisen! I suggested a while back that people put their views about the many OXP ships up here somewhere, such as any oddities (it only docks sideways safely, it rolls/pitches like a barrel in rapids, it turns like a drunken cow, you can't see anything below the halfway point of the screen 'cos the nose juts out) or the strengths (with shield boosters and an EEU, it can ignore missiles!). It could be a regular feature, like What Spaceship? magazine flight tests the Drake Mk. II, etc.

Captain Hesperus
"From the mind that brought you random ship textures!"
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Virtually all the OXP Player ships, stay at around the power of the Native Ships (The Cobra III is still one of the best ships in the game, even with all the OXPs installed). The Super Cobra, The Imperial Courier & The Tiger are usually ragarded as "Top end". Some of Charlies Ships and the Star Wars ships are a bit Uber. However, if you want to see the ship in NPC hands by not own one yourself, you can just delete the shipyard.plist from th OXPs Config folder to turn it into NPC only.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

It could be a regular feature, like What Spaceship? magazine
"Which? Space" ;-)
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

I think any ship that can use the cloaking device without losing the integrity of the hull is uberuber. At least the SuperCobra falls in this category.

Another criteria are those ships that fly naturally faster than most other ships do with fuel injectors. There was a ship in this category as well, but I cannot remember which one it was...

And, of course, the ships in the normal uber category are those that are better than the Navy ships (Navy Asp etc.). No military or police would allow civilians to fly better ships than they themselves have (or have you seem many privately owned tanks at the local supermarket lately?). In fact, that's why Fer-de-lance used to be illegal.
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Captain Hesperus

Killer Wolf wrote:
It could be a regular feature, like What Spaceship? magazine
"Which? Space" ;-)
Actually What Spaceship is one of a number of magazines in the Oolite/Elite genre.

<thinks> :!: :!: Maybe having 'articles' from these magazines on the Wiki?

Captain Hesperus
gabbakeisen
Competent
Competent

Post by gabbakeisen »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
I suggested a while back that people put their views about the many OXP ships up here somewhere, such as any oddities ... or the strengths."
Sounds good so here's the beggining of a list. If anyone wants to add some details just cut, edit and repaste. Maybe number and type of laser mounts speed etc could be good figures to add plus any oddities.

1) The Super Cobra - can use the cloaking device without losing the integrity of the hull

2) The Imperial Courier -

3) The Tiger -
WooHoo! My fav game now redone for childhood nostalgia of 20 years ago. Now if only I didn't have to go to work so I could live as a virtual space trader.
Captain Hesperus

4) X-wing - Faaaaaaaaaast! Twitchy controls (on keyboard). ?6? missiles!

5) B-wing - Faaaaaast! You'll never have enough credits to fill the missile slots with Hardheads and it has cargo space. The laser located off to your right is disorienting to say the least.....

6) TIE Interceptor - Faaaaaaaast! Twitchy again, if you sneeze while trying to line up with a target, you might find yourself flying away from them afterwards! NO cargo space.

7) Benulobiweed Inc. Kestrel - Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast!!! Very twitchy, forward view limited by twin hull. Next to very little cargo capacity. Pilot's seat gives you a crick in the neck.

Captain Hesperus
gabbakeisen
Competent
Competent

Post by gabbakeisen »

Just a tidy up.

1) The Super Cobra - can use the cloaking device without losing the integrity of the hull

2) The Imperial Courier -details?

3) The Tiger -details?

4) X-wing - Faaaaaaaaaast! Twitchy controls (on keyboard). ?6? missiles!

5) B-wing - Faaaaaast! You'll never have enough credits to fill the missile slots with Hardheads and it has cargo space. The laser located off to your right is disorienting to say the least.....

6) TIE Interceptor - Faaaaaaaast! Twitchy again, if you sneeze while trying to line up with a target, you might find yourself flying away from them afterwards! NO cargo space.

7) Benulobiweed Inc. Kestrel - Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast!!! Very twitchy, forward view limited by twin hull. Next to very little cargo capacity. Pilot's seat gives you a crick in the neck.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

In case you didn't know, there's LOADS of information about the Ships and the background to the game generally on the Wikki here:- http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Main_Page. The Ships page gives all the information you'd need. As over 100 ships have just been added to the page though, some of the articles are "stubs" ATM.

Imperial Courier :- 7 energy banks, 4 gun mounts, 6 missiles. Fast at 0.5LM and stays manuarverable. 100 ton cargo bay. Can be a bit twitchy to fly until you get used to it. Very Expensive and rare though.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

8 ) Not to forget a ship that never claimed to be anything else than the ubership: The "Uber HAX0R", player version "Uber Mk.1337", basically a ridiculously souped up Adder(!): Faaaaaaaaaaaast! 13(!) Missile slots! Military laser built-in! Flashers all over the hull! For the ridiculously small price of 69000 cr.! (But only available on TL 14-stations).
gabbakeisen
Competent
Competent

Post by gabbakeisen »

LittleBear - yeah I found most were stubs which is why I posted here.

Commander McLane - Damn, I'll stay away from that one :!:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Oh, and I forgot that the NPC-version has thargoidAI, so it will be coming upon you like a ton of bricks! :twisted: On the good side: it has a bounty of 520 cr. :wink:
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

Not sure if you would consider it uber but I fly an Eel Rapier. One thing I have noticed, with a speed of 0.495lm, that when using the insystem jump drive I have come close to crashing into both the sun (altitude right into the red in one go) and space stations, due to the delay in the ship slowing down after the drive becomes mass locked. I don't aim directly at stations any more as a result, just in case....

EDIT: Corrected speed.
Last edited by Uncle Reno on Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

I fly Kukri mkII.
.610LS!