Justice for Mrs Combs part 3

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Justice for Mrs Combs part 3

Post by Roberto »

The penultimate instalment.

Feedback welcome, as ever.

*EDIT* I've made a minor amend to a paragraph near the end - just me being a perfectionist :)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

I like it.

will the last chapter be just a wrap up or will there be a plottwist, oooooh the suspense!
Judebert
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Judebert »

I loved this. Too bad I didn't read "penultimate"! Waiting breathlessly for the last installment.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Perhaps we ought to have a seperate forum for Elite (Oolite) based fiction, which is very active on the EBBS at the moment.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

Thanks, people. I'll do my best to finish the last instalment in time for Christmas :)

As for the separate-forum idea - I'm fairly easy. I think our fiction gets enough attention here on the Discussion board, and since mid-September, I've been the only one posting any! :) Just had a look at the EBBS - interesting, but seems to be a lot of short story fragments, and it's not clear whether some of them are meant to fit together... As far as I'm concerned, this is the home of Elite/Oolite fiction, and it's where I'll be posting JfMC once it's complete.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

The short story fragments are in fact a collaborative effort, as was the HPA Saga.

My reasoning for a separate forum section was also based on the idea that some OXP's may be forthcoming, there's a wealth of ideas to be had.

There's even an Elite Fiction ring http://www.sslmit.unibo.it/zat/EFR.htm
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

Thanks for the link - I shall check it out. Like I said, I'm easy on the idea of a separate forum - I'm not sure it would result in an upsurge of people writing stories, but it wouldn't be a bad thing.

*EDIT* Where does the collaborative story on the EBBS start? It's not clear to a newcomer.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Yes it is tricky isn't it, when you read it every day you don't realise!

Selezen is "the man" as far as collecting, organising and converting EBBS fiction to pdf format, have a look at his sight here:

http://hughesd.co.uk/elite/content/fiction.asp
http://hughesd.co.uk/elite/content/fic-tarklin.asp
http://hughesd.co.uk/elite/content/fiction-hpa1.asp
http://hughesd.co.uk/elite/content/hpa2.asp
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

It's finding time to write that's the problem for me.... :cry:

Elite feels a bit 'old' to be inspired by now for me, 'Oolite' is much more interesting because there is the capability to bring the stories to life with the OXPs. It's cool to be able to fly around the places and interact with elements in the stories - like a poor mans holodeck. :wink:

I'm hoping someone might do the 'battle of Lave' from Status Quo once some of the Frontier ships are available.

Haven't got round to reading Mrs. Coombs yet either, but intend to!

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

Yep, finding the time is why I'm only managing an episode a month at best :)

What's interesting for me about writing an Elite story isn't so much the possibility of someone incorporating bits of it into an OXP (though certain battles, such as your battle of Lave, could be awesome to play), but the chance to "fill in the blanks", to add depth to the game/universe we all know. In JfMC I'm showing what life may be like on a particular planet, beyond the brief description we're given, as well as (hopefully) portraying the life of a spacer in a more realistic light than is often the case (to my mind, the majority must surely have 0-1 kills; what we experience in the game is exceptional). Which isn't to say I'm averse to "action" - quite the opposite! I think it's more exciting when a threat to a protagonist's life is unexpected and startling as opposed to being something that happens five times before lunch. Anyway, I digress!

In a couple of future stories (won't get round to them for ages, mind), I plan to "fill in the blanks" in a historical way, adding a little more detail on the time between the Elite era and that of Frontier - i.e. the fall of GalCop.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Justice for Mrs Combs part 3

Post by ArkanoiD »

Roberto wrote:
The penultimate instalment.

Feedback welcome, as ever.

*EDIT* I've made a minor amend to a paragraph near the end - just me being a perfectionist :)
There is something wrong with the page formatting; originally the font is too small in my Firefox, and when i try to zoom some script on the page becomes nuts..
GoreLeech
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GoreLeech »

Jeez louwize!...this game and Elite got some OLD ties......
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Waiting for the next part, the story is great!
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

Thanks Arkanoid - hope you were able to view it OK in the end. (I've not tried it in Firefox, but seems to be fine in Safari.)

My "done by Christmas" target proved sadly optimistic I'm afraid - unexpected extra work combined with housemates having guests to stay *forever* (not the best writing environment!). Part four is under way, though, and I'll try and get it out as soon as I can :)
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Roberto wrote:
- unexpected extra work combined with housemates having guests to stay *forever* (not the best writing environment!).
Perchance, does part four involve a completely unconnected and random plasma-saw massacre of somebody's flatmates and stop-over friends? ;D

Captain Hesperus
"Plasma-saw's not a bad weapon for close combat massacres. Especially since the heat cauterises wounds instantly, so you don't have to spend hours mopping up blood and assorted small body parts."