Oolite Diagrams?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Oolite Diagrams?

Post by hiran »

Looking at the code I found this class:
https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite ... GraphViz.m

It looks like Oolite can generate graph data. But when and how would it get visible?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Oolite Diagrams?

Post by another_commander »

The graph data is for the graphviz open source visualization application. This feature was introduced long ago for assisting with visualizing AI states, planet description generation rules (back when this was all procedural, not useful now that we have everything fully laid out in planetinfo.plist) and OXP verifier related stuff. The data is generated in the graphviz input language format, .dot.

The AI graphs are applicable only for the old style .plist AIs and don't generate anything useful for the JS ones. In any case, to generate the .dot files, just add to your .GNUstepDefaults these keys:

Code: Select all

"generate-ai-graphviz" = YES;
"universe-dump-debug-graphviz" = YES;
then launch the game and go about your business normally. Any plist AIs activated during that session will be written into Logs/AI Dumps/*.dot and the planet descriptions procedural rules will be written in Logs/SystemDescription.dot.

What do they look like once processed in graphviz? Here are examples:
route1traderAI.plist:

SystemDescription:
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Thank you for that explanation. Yes, this could give in-depth information about the game state.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

another_commander wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:53 am
The graph data is for the graphviz open source visualization application. This feature was introduced long ago for assisting with visualizing AI states, planet description generation rules (back when this was all procedural, not useful now that we have everything fully laid out in planetinfo.plist) and OXP verifier related stuff. The data is generated in the graphviz input language format, .dot.
I've linked in all this to the wiki together with the screenshots (my additions for 12 September 2023)

("AI checking section") -> == Understanding what is happening ==

Is there also a screenshot of the OXP verifier process anywhere? Then I can link that in too!

And also a screen shot of a normal OXP Verifier read out? (I never got it to work)
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

another_commander wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:53 am
The graph data is for the graphviz open source visualization application. This feature was introduced long ago for assisting with visualizing AI states, planet description generation rules (back when this was all procedural, not useful now that we have everything fully laid out in planetinfo.plist) and OXP verifier related stuff. The data is generated in the graphviz input language format, .dot
I thought planetinfo.plist was an override method. Are you saying that internally there is a giant planetinfo.plist and no procedural generation is done anymore? Therefore I couldn't do the old trick of changing the galaxy seed in the save file?

Phantor Gorth
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

PhantorGorth wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:28 am
I thought planetinfo.plist was an override method. Are you saying that internally there is a giant planetinfo.plist and no procedural generation is done anymore? Therefore I couldn't do the old trick of changing the galaxy seed in the save file?
Yes. The current planetinfo.plist has a size of 2,737 KB and contains the full data for each of the 2048 planets. I think the only procedural stuff remaining are the core game planet textures.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

PhantorGorth wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:28 am
I have only found 2 current working examples of changed galaxies (both cim's) - SotL Exploration & SotL AltMap. I understand that he used his Galaxy Generator to generate the descriptions.

I'm not sure whether the scenario.plist and the "loader" oxp are a necessary part of the Galaxy changing process. But it does seem that one now needs an oxp to change the galaxy.

The planetinfo.plists are huge (16Mb for AltMap, 3Mb for Exploration - no people? just one galaxy?) - and with lots of extra data
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?