YouTube playthroughs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

YouTube playthroughs

Post by arquebus »

So, I am one of those sorts of people who enjoys spending time watching other people play games. Especially when it's a game I love and one that I am terrible at. But I've noticed a significant lack of Oolite YouTube videos! Most of the ones that exist are either 10 years old or very short.

I've been considering filling this gap myself. I'm very bad at Oolite. And I'm not a streamer/YouTuber. At all. (I streamed some Astrox Imperium over a year ago, twice.)

But I might just do it anyway.

*If* I do it, I'll post links here if that's ok, and would really appreciate feedback and especially advice based on whatever suboptimal shenanigans I get up to. My goal isn't self-promotion in any way, it's Oolite-promotion. I'm not looking to "start a channel" or whatever the kids say these days, I wouldn't even have time for it if I did. I just want to show off some Oolite.
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: YouTube playthroughs

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:05 pm
So, I am one of those sorts of people who enjoys spending time watching other people play games. Especially when it's a game I love and one that I am terrible at. But I've noticed a significant lack of Oolite YouTube videos! Most of the ones that exist are either 10 years old or very short.

I've been considering filling this gap myself. I'm very bad at Oolite. And I'm not a streamer/YouTuber. At all. (I streamed some Astrox Imperium over a year ago, twice.)

But I might just do it anyway.

*If* I do it, I'll post links here if that's ok, and would really appreciate feedback and especially advice based on whatever suboptimal shenanigans I get up to. My goal isn't self-promotion in any way, it's Oolite-promotion. I'm not looking to "start a channel" or whatever the kids say these days, I wouldn't even have time for it if I did. I just want to show off some Oolite.
Super idea! More power to your elbow!

Do you think that several different ones showing the variety of oxp's available might make sense?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:15 pm
Do you think that several different ones showing the variety of oxp's available might make sense?
That would definitely make sense for the HUDs. Most of the rest of the OXPs can live together, so it's a matter of making notes for myself about which ones add which things and then pointing them out when I come across them. Also I could potentially showcase the two different strands of planetary OXPs (which are mutually exclusive in any given save).
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:59 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:15 pm
That would definitely make sense for the HUDs. Most of the rest of the OXPs can live together, so it's a matter of making notes for myself about which ones add which things and then pointing them out when I come across them. Also I could potentially showcase the two different strands of planetary OXPs (which are mutually exclusive in any given save).
What about trying Cim's SOTL scenarios? Or Stranger's World vs Spara/Redspear's Additional Planets? And the game changers like Weapon Laws, Diplomancy & Smugglers? Galactic Navy with Spara's addons vs HIMSN (such as it is)? The choices are really quite phenomenal! Some of the missions such as Resistance Commander, The Assassins Guild & Iron Raven?
Last edited by Cholmondely on Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

I'll probably do variations on everything at some point! I'm an incredibly slow player, though, so it will take a while to get to any of that good stuff. I've barely made it out of the neighborhood of my starting station (I think I've been to about 15 systems). I honestly don't know much about the depth and breadth of the game yet. If I do record my playthrough it will be almost entirely a path of discovery for me, I will have no optimized paths or "easy money" methods. Just me tooling around and figuring stuff out.

Right now I'm fighting with a test of a new start, I keep getting attacked by Thargoids in Zaonce, and I can't escape because every time I go to witchspace I get drawn out and attacked. Once I've figured out how to start smoothly (this didn't happen the first time I played...) I'll start recording.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:53 am
I honestly don't know much about the depth and breadth of the game yet.
If your experience turns out to be anything like mine, you have a wonderful voyage of discovery waiting just over the horizon...
Comments wanted:
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Well, here we go... episode 1!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsYa ... TGdzIkVse3

There's also an episode 2 and episode 3 getting ready to be uploaded. I accidentally streamed rather than recorded episode 2, then discovered I could salvage it, but not until after recording episode 3 where I kept pointing out that I'd lost episode 2.

Those two shenanigans will be available shortly.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Slick vid! Which video capture software are you using?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

I'm using OBS, and doing a very basic capture - I don't know any of the bells and whistles. Episode 2 looks lower quality because I had to copy it over from Twitch but ep 1 and ep 3 (and beyond) will look pretty good. Oolite and OBS seem to really work well together, there's no slowdown in the game and OBS only stutters when going into witchspace since Oolite is thrashing the same (SSD) drive.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:13 pm

There's also an episode 2 and episode 3 getting ready to be uploaded. I accidentally streamed rather than recorded episode 2, then discovered I could salvage it, but not until after recording episode 3 where I kept pointing out that I'd lost episode 2.

Just finished your first installment. Enjoyable, thank you. Enjoyed your sense of humour. And nice to see a different collection of OXP's.

A couple of minor points:

1) Profit. You made a good profit on arrival at Zaonce - and on arrival at Isinor. In each case you had spent almost all your money on commodities. But you did not do this at Isinor when you filled up with cheap food and had c. 300cr left over, uninvested. If you had bought wine/liquors there - or furs - you would have spend all your money and made a far bigger profit on arrival at Tionisla.

In Industrials (Zaonce/Tionisla/Qutiri/Ensoreus) buy computers (best overall profit), then machinery (less good) and then alloys (mediocre)
In Agriculturals (Lave/Isinor) - when you have several hundred credits to spend - buy furs, then wines/liquors, then food (buy food/textiles/water only when you have little spare cash - the percentage profit is much greater, but your overall profit is much less).

You are running the SWEconomy .oxp which makes things more realistic. Bemeara is a small planet with a low TL so under SWEconomy it does not have much to export, unlike Isinor. SWEconomy also gives you a massive mark up on Food and Textiles when you buy them in Lave & sell them in Zaonce. This is not repeated as the starting prices there are superbly low due to a programming glitch which applies just the once!

2) Avoiding the traffic lane between the witchpoint and the orbital station also avoids the pirates. When you arrive at Isinor, the station is usually under the rings and on the right hand side of the planet. So I whizz off to the right, avoid the pirates (and the mass locking) and arrive at the station safe and sound.

3) Finding the star. If you look at the planet, you can tell where the sun is shining from!

4) The other things you will learn as you go along... just enjoy doing it!
Comments wanted:
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:00 am
arquebus wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:13 pm

Just finished your first installment. Enjoyable, thank you. Enjoyed your sense of humour. And nice to see a different collection of OXP's.

A couple of minor points:

1) Profit. You made a good profit on arrival at Zaonce - and on arrival at Isinor. In each case you had spent almost all your money on commodities. But you did not do this at Isinor when you filled up with cheap food and had c. 300cr left over, uninvested. If you had bought wine/liquors there - or furs - you would have spend all your money and made a far bigger profit on arrival at Tionisla.

In Industrials (Zaonce/Tionisla/Qutiri/Ensoreus) buy computers (best overall profit), then machinery (less good) and then alloys (mediocre)
In Agriculturals (Lave/Isinor) - when you have several hundred credits to spend - buy furs, then wines/liquors, then food (buy food/textiles/water only when you have little spare cash - the percentage profit is much greater, but your overall profit is much less).

You are running the SWEconomy .oxp which makes things more realistic. Bemeara is a small planet with a low TL so under SWEconomy it does not have much to export, unlike Isinor. SWEconomy also gives you a massive mark up on Food and Textiles when you buy them in Lave & sell them in Zaonce. This is not repeated as the starting prices there are superbly low due to a programming glitch which applies just the once!

2) Avoiding the traffic lane between the witchpoint and the orbital station also avoids the pirates. When you arrive at Isinor, the station is usually under the rings and on the right hand side of the planet. So I whizz off to the right, avoid the pirates (and the mass locking) and arrive at the station safe and sound.

3) Finding the star. If you look at the planet, you can tell where the sun is shining from!

4) The other things you will learn as you go along... just enjoy doing it!
1) Profit - yes, I did realize that afterwards that my quick mental calculations weren't correct. Without doing math, it's always best to spend as much money as possible across the total cargo space, rather than filling up the cargo space but only spending a little money. The only time that doesn't work is if the % diff is ludicrously high. Of course I could do the actual math but I'm too lazy for that. :) So you're right that furs and wines are best, since the diff is decent and you end up spending more money, which gets more profit.

Good to know about SW economy's impact on quantities! I'll bear that in mind.

2) I tend not to avoid the traffic lanes because I have a terrible habit of bee-lining, but I definitely should break that habit.

3) I realized that pretty much while it was happening but the blind search was amusing me enough that I didn't think to stop and analyze the shadow!
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Thanks for the advice, I mentioned it all in episode 4, which is uploading now!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:48 am
Good to know about SW economy's impact on quantities! I'll bear that in mind.
Here is a synopsis of some of the changes (see SW Economy for Stranger's Essay on what he's done and why).
System-specific filters

We have only 8 variants of vanilla market depending only on 8 possible values of system economy. There is no tech level relevance. It’s a bit strange, isn’t it? Well, there are no low tech AND extremely industrial (rich industrial in vanilla) systems in Ooniverse. But you’ll find exactly the same market in TL 9 and TL 12 rich industrial systems! The availability of ship upgrades will be the only difference. SW Economy sets a system market with system-specific filters:
• Food, textiles, wines and furs are not available in agricultural systems with archaic TL AND main planet radius below 5425 km (too small for dense atmosphere: they produce mining products)
• Computers, medicine and luxuries are available only in systems above median tech level, quantity is limited
• Machinery, alloys and oxygen are available only in systems above low tech level
• Minerals and radioactives are available only in low-tech OR industrial systems
Quantity of some items depends on the system's gross productivity
Illegal items are available only in low-tech unstable systems
The real confusion is the first in the list, where some agricultural-labelled worlds become unlabelled mining worlds (due to their size and low tech level). I presume that the vanilla game code does not allow relabeling the agricultural Bemeara's as mining planets. So we are all confused unless we remember to spend time ogling the F7 planet description screens and remember 5425km as the cut-off!

This mucks up a number of the historic milk runs. So Xexedi - Laenin is wrecked since one no longer makes good profits on what one can now buy at Laeanin. But Ensoreus - Ararus is still excellent, if one can avoid the pirates!

Tech Level runs from 1 - 16 (since you have "Famous Planets" loaded which turns TL9 Sori into TL16 Ascension). Otherwise the top is TL15 (Ceesxe).
Archaic TL seems to be from 1-4
Low TL seems to be from 5-7, with TL8 being median.
Comments wanted:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Very nice videos. I trust the stutter every few seconds that can be seen is due to the recording software and your normal gaming experience is smooth?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

another_commander wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:17 pm
I trust the stutter every few seconds that can be seen is due to the recording software and your normal gaming experience is smooth?
No, sadly, the stutter is there in the game. Probably because I have so many OXPs doing so many things at once in the background. I personally don't notice it anymore, and don't care too much anyway since it's still better than the performance I get out of games like X4 Foundations.