the sun is too bright

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

3DH
Competent
Competent

the sun is too bright

Post by 3DH »

Translator:
This effect is unnecessary. It's not cool or realistic. It only makes the game difficult. This is what it used to be:
ImageImage
Today we only have a white screen:

Please change it in the next update.
Last edited by 3DH on Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: the sun is too bright

Post by Cholmondely »

3DH wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:47 am
Translator:
This effect is unnecessary. It's not cool or realistic. It only makes the game difficult. This is what it used to be:
Today we only have a white screen.

Please change it in the next update.
Can't it just be OXP'ed? ...and there are two OXP glare filters (Glare Clarifier & Glare Filter)

... and surely the current glare is more realistic anyway?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
3DH
Competent
Competent

Post by 3DH »

In my opinion, this is the basis that should be fixed in the core itself. Oolite should give you the best right away, without mods.

The effect of brightening the entire screen was irritating to me, but it wasn't tragic yet. However, when I had to refuel using Fuel Scoop, then I couldn't do it normally (as in the photo) because I can't see anything. Nothing at all.
Last edited by 3DH on Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I'd recommend distant suns. Most Suns are moved further out and dimmed. Cooler and dimmer stars with subtle colours are also added. Occasionally you will come across a system with a star as bright as the default as it is an unusual super-massive star but that's kinda okay when it's an occasional feature. :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
3DH
Competent
Competent

Post by 3DH »

LittleBear wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:46 pm
...but that's kinda okay when it's an occasional feature. :wink:
But that's not an occasional feature. All the suns I've seen brighten the screen. It looks ugly and is useless. Completely unnecessary effect.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

If you have bandits on your six, that glare is your friend!

Besides, it's so easy to change - drop this into the right place: "sun_glare_filter" = 0.3; and adjust to taste!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
3DH
Competent
Competent

Post by 3DH »

Cody wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:46 pm
If you have bandits on your six, that glare is your friend!

Besides, it's so easy to change - drop this into the right place: "sun_glare_filter" = 0.3; and adjust to taste!
It makes sense in air combat on a planet, not in space. I don't remember similar effects in other Elite games.

Thanks. I'll check it tomorrow.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I don't remember afterburners in Elite - or yaw(n), for that matter.
3DH
Competent
Competent

Post by 3DH »

Where is the "sun_glare_filter" option? How to change it?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

3DH wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:27 am
Where is the "sun_glare_filter" option? How to change it?
sun_glare_filter is a property of your ship with a value set between 0 (no filter) and 1 (no view?).

You can alter it in several ways. This might work:

1) Inside your AddOns folder create a new folder called Config

See OXP if you have not yet found your AddOns folder

2) Create a new .txt file. Do not use the basic windows text editor which fills your text files with invisible garbage, giving Oolite a seizure.

3) Inside that text file write: "sun_glare_filter" = 0.3;

The new txt file should be named shipdata.plist

Almost everything in modern Oolite is alterable. Oolite v.1.79 introduced a modifiable sun_glare_filter value for the player ship. New values in the Config folder in your AddOns folder overwrite the modifiable Config values in the vanilla game shipdata.plist (and other plists too). OXPs do the same thing, but their config folders are hidden inside the various oxp's. If you open up one of the glare oxp's above, you should see that!

Cody: please correct if I made a mistake!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
3DH
Competent
Competent

Post by 3DH »

Thank you, but it doesn't work. I added the "shipdata.plist" file saved in notepad++ to the "D:\GRY\Oolite\oolite1.90\AddOns\3dh_min_set.oxp\Config" directory with different "sun_glare_filter" parameters, but I can't see the difference. I also have a modified HUD in this directory.

By the way, I checked the original file "shipdata.plist" and I don't see "sun_glare_filter" here.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

3DH wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:25 pm
Thank you, but it doesn't work. I added the "shipdata.plist" file saved in notepad++ to the "D:\GRY\Oolite\oolite1.90\AddOns\3dh_min_set.oxp\Config" directory with different "sun_glare_filter" parameters, but I can't see the difference. I also have a modified HUD in this directory.

By the way, I checked the original file "shipdata.plist" and I don't see "sun_glare_filter" here.
Not sure if this will help, but the latest Oolite https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 21#p271321 (V 1.90) is using a much brighter light model. If you prefer the previous light here is a tip from another_commander: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=271351#p271351 modifying shaders.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
3DH
Competent
Competent

Post by 3DH »

montana05 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:03 pm
Not sure if this will help, but the latest Oolite https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 21#p271321 (V 1.90) is using a much brighter light model. If you prefer the previous light here is a tip from another_commander: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=271351#p271351 modifying shaders.
Thanks, but the only thing that pisses me off is the glare from the sun. Besides, the game is perfect.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

3DH wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:26 pm
montana05 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:03 pm
Thanks, but the only thing that pisses me off is the glare from the sun. Besides, the game is perfect.
Glad to hear, so Cholmondely's suggestion would probably work the best. "sun_glare_filter" will only dim the suns.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:08 pm
Cody: please correct if I made a mistake![/i]
That should work fine. I'm reliably informed it could also be in a shipdata-overrides.plist - thus:

Code: Select all

"oolite_template_cobra3" =
{
	"sun_glare_filter" = 0.9;
};
My thanks to another_commander for that.