Lore: Dark Wheel: Regiti

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Lore: Dark Wheel: Regiti

Post by Cholmondely »

A Moray. A subaqua vessel, designed for both space and undersea voyaging. The Moray was a rare ship indeed to see in space, especially about to undertake a hyperspace transit. On worlds like Regiti and Aona, where the only land was the tips of volcanoes, rising above the oceans, the Moray was both freighter and public transport, a vital ship-link between the undersea cities that were developing in such hostile environments.
The Dark Wheel Chapter §1

Regiti does not exist. We have

Rigeti (Galaxy 1): "Rigeti is a revolting dump" - Feudal, Poor Agricultural, TL3, 1.7 Billion (Human Colonials), Productivity: 2040 MCr

& Rigete (Galaxy 7): "This planet is fabled for its ancient Rigetese On banana plantations" - Multi-Government, Mainly Industrial, TL 7, 3.0 Billion (Red Horned Birds), Productivity: 10080 MCr

Any ideas?

References
The Dark Wheel
TL
Rigeti
Rigete
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Lore: Dark Wheel: Regiti

Post by Cody »

A ghastly typo? One that as a writer would have me tearing my hair out! Or is TDW simply an unreliable source?

Incidentally, Aona is among the old Elite worlds which made it into ED, whereas Rigeti and Rigete did not.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Lore: Dark Wheel: Regiti

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:07 am
A ghastly typo? One that as a writer would have me tearing my hair out! Or is TDW simply an unreliable source?
Might it be that The Dark Wheel was being written as Elite was being put to bed. And who would have given Robert Holdstock a finalised copy of all the planets with their descriptions? And how readable would it have been?

It seems that the best bet is just to ignore Goldstock's reference.. A human TL3 world would not have underwater cities, and an avian underwater world also seems decidedly odd.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?