What is Emergency hull shield ?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

chomwitt
Above Average
Above Average

What is Emergency hull shield ?

Post by chomwitt »

Well it seems that i procrastinate my start a little .. :D

While in tutorial it says:
Energy banks: crucial system powered by the banks is the emergency hull shield.
and after a while it says:
To protect your ship further from high energy impacts it is fitted with two shield generators. A pre-charged shield is much more reliable than the emergency hull shield.
But i dont think there is a HUD related meter of the Emergency hull shield.

Also after a while the the term 'emergency loops' is mentioned.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: What is Emergency hull shield ?

Post by Cholmondely »

chomwitt wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:28 am
Well it seems that i procrastinate my start a little .. :D

While in tutorial it says:
Energy banks: crucial system powered by the banks is the emergency hull shield.
and after a while it says:
To protect your ship further from high energy impacts it is fitted with two shield generators. A pre-charged shield is much more reliable than the emergency hull shield.
But i dont think there is a HUD related meter of the Emergency hull shield.

Also after a while the the term 'emergency loops' is mentioned.
This one really needs a_c_ or someone who understands the game code.

But I think that once the shields are drained, further hits drain energy from the energy banks (this might be what Cim called the emergency hull shield) until they are empty, and then: "Press space, commander".

As for emergency loops, they sound highly mystical. I suspect that they are woven into the metaphysical fabric of The Notorious Knucklebones of Negation
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: What is Emergency hull shield ?

Post by Cholmondely »

Smivs has this to say in his explanation of his Battle Damage OXP:

When your shields are gone, your opponents' lasers are directly hitting your hull, but in the 'core' game this has no obvious impact or repercussions. This OXP adds this 'realism' into the game by causing damage to your ship's hull, which if not repaired promptly will lead to problems such as fuel leaks and mis-jumps.
If you take an un-shielded hit, a console message will alert you to the fact with a warning:- 'WARNING! HULL DAMAGE' and further hits will be notified with another console message:- 'Hull taking further damage'.
Upon docking, someone will point out this damage to you and urge you to have emergency repairs made at the Ship Outfitters (F3).
Here you will find 'Emergency Hull Repairs' offered for 75Cr. These repairs are fairly basic and consist of new Duralium plates welded over the damaged areas to ensure structural integrity and airtightness where needed. Repairs will take around six to eight hours of game time, after which your ship will be spaceworthy again.
If you are offered a Maintenance Overhaul, this WILL include any emergency repairs. 'Emergency Hull Repairs' will also be offered, so you can still make repairs even if you wish to defer the Overhaul at this time. Choose one or the other.
Any damaged equipment will need to be repaired seperately.
If you do not have repairs made, you may experience mis-jumps or fuel leaks as a consequence of the damage. If you launch damaged the station staff will sometimes overlook this if the damage is not too severe although you may be reminded about the damage when you next dock. Sometimes the station you are leaving will point out the damage but let you go on your way, or you may encounter problems on launching and be urged to re-dock immediately for repairs, and you might even get a telling-off from one of the Dock officials and a small fine.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?