Sideway movement.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

chomwitt
Above Average
Above Average

Sideway movement.

Post by chomwitt »

As a new player i run through the tutorial . (i think its very good).
And approaching an asteroid i had an idea to go around it but always facing it.
In that task of mine i noticed that a sideway thrust could help a lot.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Sideway movement.

Post by Cholmondely »

chomwitt wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:53 am
There is the Retro Rockets OXZ whose code can presumably be easily adapted for side thrusters.

I fear that the problem would be the controls.

We only have 2 dedicated buttons for OXP equipment (the Fast Activation buttons whose effects you can select on the F4 screen), and the more generic n/b/N/ctrl-N buttons for controlling a whole slew of other equipment.

Sadly, the game code limits the ability to select other buttons and assign functions to them. While other areas of the game were made alterable at whim (ships/stations/planets/ship mechanics & equipment, etc), this was never really done for introducing new keyboard controls!

Cholmondeley

By the way, did you ever come up with a key-config schemata which suited you?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

You can do what you described if you switch to left or right view and use the yaw controls to keep the target firmly in the center.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

another_commander wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:12 am
You can do what you described if you switch to left or right view and use the yaw controls to keep the target firmly in the center.
Super!

Now we just need someone to create an advanced acrobatics course for the Lave Academy giving the details and we're away!
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:11 am
We only have 2 dedicated buttons for OXP equipment (the Fast Activation buttons whose effects you can select on the F4 screen), and the more generic n/b/N/ctrl-N buttons for controlling a whole slew of other equipment.

Sadly, the game code limits the ability to select other buttons and assign functions to them. While other areas of the game were made alterable at whim (ships/stations/planets/ship mechanics & equipment, etc), this was never really done for introducing new keyboard controls!
Where does that limitation actually come from? Or is it simply that Oolite was meant to be a full clone of the Elite those days?
Would it make sense to question whether such limitations are still crucial?

So many nice OXPs out there, but their use - through the limitation - is really annoying. I need to prime my equipment before leaving the station. For defense reasons one is already the barrel roll. For mobility I want the fuel generator on the other key. Out in space I bump into a derelict ship, and although I purchased the towbar I cannot activate it.

More key would definitely make the game more interesting.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:19 pm

Where does that limitation actually come from? Or is it simply that Oolite was meant to be a full clone of the Elite those days?
Would it make sense to question whether such limitations are still crucial?

So many nice OXPs out there, but their use - through the limitation - is really annoying. I need to prime my equipment before leaving the station. For defense reasons one is already the barrel roll. For mobility I want the fuel generator on the other key. Out in space I bump into a derelict ship, and although I purchased the towbar I cannot activate it.

More keys would definitely make the game more interesting.
I wonder if this is a distinction between newer and older players? I have built up an impression that the Old Guard (pre-2010?) play with just a handful of OXPs - whilst those of us who are newer tend to play with several hundred.

See Capt Solo's (Old Guard) pithy comment here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:CaptSolo

*CaptSolo's Oolite AddOns
*This is the complete list. I don't clutter up my Ooniverse with a lot of junk.
*Background Set Audio and video enhance the immersion factor of the game. I did, however, remove all vocal messages in lieu of sound effects.
*Comms Pack A Adds a range of communications messages to NPCs using the new communications routines.
*Cougar ST A rare but fearsome hunter that only operates in the more dangerous systems.
*Galactic Registry This OXP aims to provide pilots with data relating to their current sector and better understand the galaxy they work in.
*Griff / Solo Core Shipset Griff's models and textures. Griff's shaders heavily modified by CaptSolo. New NPC and player decals (images below).
*Library A collection of useful snippets and helpers. Its main purpose is to simplify or unify some common tasks used by OXPers.
*Navigation MFD This piece of kit will display additional information on the ASC target. Available from the Expansion Manager.
*Random Hits Light (v1.4.19) Random Hits OXP modified such that only core ships are represented. A personal edition not available except upon request.
*Random Ship Names Gives all ships of normal roles a randomly generated name. Some are plain jane but others are quite descriptive.
*Solo's Alternate Main Stations Personal OXP adding alternate main stations using Griff's earlier models with new shaders and textures. Not available except upon request.
*ZygoUgo's Combined AddOns My personal bundled OXP edition combining ZygoUgo's Asteroids, Cinematic Skies & Nebula, and Explosions.

And Smiv's essay about his new ship here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:CaptSolo
Bilbo Maru

The Bilbo Maru is a Boa II Clipper Class, bought new from the Gerege Federation Space Works by Commander Smivs to replace the Nemesis a veteran Boa Class Cruiser which after many years of sterling service was starting to get a bit tired.

She is very well equipped, and is a true 'Iron Ass'. As well as the standard Fuel Scoops, Heat Shielding and supplementary external Fuel Tanks the following equipment has been fitted.
Factory Fitted:-
Escape Capsule, 4 x Military Lasers, ECM, Naval Energy Unit, Docking Computers, Fuel Injectors, Advanced Space Compass, Scanner Targeting Enhancemant, Multi-targeting System, Target System Memory Expansion, Advanced Navigational Array, Shield Boosters, Military Shield Enhancement.

Carried over from previous ship:-
Cloaking Device.

Retro-fitted:-
Wormhole Scanner, Rock Hermit Locator, Beer Cooler, 5 x ECM Hardened Missiles, Galactic Hyperdrive.

Unlike many of the Cucurbita people, Commander Smivs has a fondness for animals, and he has added an image of Bilbo his pet Cat (a type of small furry carnivore from planet Earth) after who the ship was named, to the vessel's sides.

Total cost of purchase and fitting-out was 748 210 Cr.

Notice that despite being the progenitor, producer and promoter of the dreaded JellyBaby Dispenser - that there isn't one on his ship. The only OXP equipment seems to be the 3 emboldened items above.

Now, Smivs may very well have a zillion and one Ambience & other OXPs loaded. But I'm interested in his equipment!
Comments wanted:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:40 pm
I wonder if this is a distinction between newer and older players? I have built up an impression that the Old Guard (pre-2010?) play with just a handful of OXPs - whilst those of us who are newer tend to play with several hundred.
I suspect you're not far off the mark. I've always run with a minimal number of OXPs, mostly eye-candy and ambience.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:07 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:40 pm
I suspect you're not far off the mark. I've always run with a minimal number of OXPs, mostly eye-candy and ambience.
Thought so!

Pondering further, looking back at the debates about cheating... In the early days, cheating was partly defined as deviating from the purity of Classic Elite (adding too many OXPs?). This then seems to have been redefined as deviating from the game-balance of Classic Elite (interesting as regards the debate about the energy bomb: is it cheating to use it (cheating defined as unfair advantage to players) or is it cheating to abolish it (cheating defined as deviation from Classic Elite).

Or am I sidling sideways too much?
Comments wanted:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Is it cheating to plan which system one's Nova mission occurs in?

The energy bomb was another of Giles' few mistakes!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:07 pm
Is it cheating to plan which system one's Nova mission occurs in?

The energy bomb was another of Giles' few mistakes!
Nova mission: was this actually a debate at any stage? I've not come across it yet.

Energy Bomb: but JazHaz would not agree with you! Nor would Cmd Cheyd. Or the majority who voted to keep it on JazHaz's poll (31-24) - I don't recall another poll with that many voters.

Not arguing. But I am interested in how people understood it at the time.
Comments wanted:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:47 pm
Nova mission: was this actually a debate at any stage?
Long time ago, but if memory serves, the "debate" was over what information about the native missions should be available on the Wiki (of course, the Wiki is effectively out of anyone's control, but very keen Wikiers tend to hold sway). At one time, I believe there were no clues as regards what was required to trigger each native mission. My view has always been that the native missions should come as a surprise to the player.

I seem to recall that JazHaz was one of those wanting to plan his Nova mission (and he was a very keen Wikier). There once was a way to sidestep the intended result (without pre-planning), but the devs decided that was a bug and nixed it. I called it a feature - if one had the pluck to try it.

You should be aware that if there's no trace of something you think should be there, it's possible it was lost when the forum was hacked.

Another bug that was nixed was the rainbow space dust, which I loved!

I think there are test saves available somewhere on GitHub for each native mission, if you'd like to try.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

another_commander wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:12 am
This is my commander's standard docking maneuver.
chomwitt
Above Average
Above Average

Post by chomwitt »

chomwitt wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:53 am
There is the Retro Rockets OXZ whose code can presumably be easily adapted for side thrusters.

I fear that the problem would be the controls.

Cholmondeley

By the way, did you ever come up with a key-config schemata which suited you?
Yep. Here is an image of my ergodox layout..
Its my first try of course but i think the green movement buttons are the least possible
to change in future changes since i tested them more!.

As a newbie i cant try now OXPs or mod them but i'll have it in mind. Thanks.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

chomwitt wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:57 am
Its my first try of course but i think the green movement buttons are the least possible

Added to the http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Keyboard_Issues wiki page.

Are you happy with the addition to the page? Does it need tweaking?
Comments wanted:
chomwitt
Above Average
Above Average

Post by chomwitt »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:56 am
chomwitt wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:57 am

Added to the http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Keyboard_Issues wiki page.

Are you happy with the addition to the page? Does it need tweaking?
Cool ! :D
I am glad if my layout is helpfull to anyone.
I will post any changes.
One thing that i forgot to say is that i am lefthanded . I think that should be noted.