Elite Wiki server down

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

RGVV
Competent
Competent

Elite Wiki server down

Post by RGVV »

Good day,

Any idea anybody when the Elite wiki at http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Main_Page will be up again?

Thanks.

Best,

Robert.
I was born in Xixax (oh la la la dee)/On my mama's farm/My father was a junkie/Und wir war'n sehr arm/My brother was a soldier (ooh)/By the war in Vietnam (shoot)/My uncle is a spy/In the Soviet Union
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Elite Wiki server down

Post by Cody »

Short answer: no!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
RGVV
Competent
Competent

Post by RGVV »

Short answer: thanks! :)
I was born in Xixax (oh la la la dee)/On my mama's farm/My father was a junkie/Und wir war'n sehr arm/My brother was a soldier (ooh)/By the war in Vietnam (shoot)/My uncle is a spy/In the Soviet Union
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Long response: dang.
RGVV
Competent
Competent

Post by RGVV »

:D :D :D
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:15 pm
Long response: dang.
Cannot help but note that there has really been very little activity on these boards since our wiki collapsed!

Would this be due to

1) the activity here being parasitic on the activity within the wiki pages - referring to them, adumbrating upon their contents etc.

2) or most of the posts here being derived from issues surfacing when new oxps are downloaded from the wiki archives for incorporation in our ooniverses, and people then commenting on conflicts, problems etc.

3) or even something else?

It is noticeable that the one thread which has soldiered on through all of this is the Science Fiction Trivia which is, of course, Wiki independent.

As a matter of interest, what could have gone wrong? Is it more likely to be some sort of hardware issue - or a software issue? Or just everybody coming down with Covid and not being there to grease the widgets, or wind up the clockwork or whatever?

Cousin Digby considers all this kerfuffle to be the inevitable consequence of relying upon electricity. He has had all the wiring at the family manse removed and has installed bell-chains instead. He has also ordered the construction of a set of semaphore towers across the Dismal Desert to connect us with the rest of humanity in case the worst happens.

Araminta wonders how Benedict is supposed to land our craft without pranging it: while we can see the towers from inside the Cobra, it is a just a tad difficult to communicate back. How does one fit a semaphore tower to our Mark III - and how on earth does one make it look elegant? This challenge would defeat even the Great and Glorious Griff, she avers.

Last edited by Cholmondely on Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Short answer: yes!
RGVV
Competent
Competent

Post by RGVV »

As a matter of interest, what could have gone wrong? Is it more likely to be some sort of hardware issue - or a software issue? Or just everybody coming down with Covid and not being there to grease the widgets, or wind up the clockwork or whatever?
Maybe it's a good idea to post an update with regard to the server down issue in the announcements section of this board. Even though there's no root cause of the problem known yet it's always good to communicate I think - even if you don't have any update. You could communicate that the problem is dealt with (or not - and why) and that there is or is no information yet when the server will be up again.

Not to blame anybody, or making a problem of the fact that the server is down, not at all. It's just that it's good to be open when something is not working as it should (Oolite wiki and expansion pack manager within Oolite) - especially for people coming brand new to Oolite. Fair enough I think.

Again: no offense meant to anybody here. I know it's all open source and voluntary work and I respect that hugely.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I am not sure if anyone knows what has happened. None of the devs has any control on the wiki, let alone its infrastructure.
RGVV
Competent
Competent

Post by RGVV »

I am not sure if anyone knows what has happened. None of the devs has any control on the wiki, let alone its infrastructure.
This is a good example of information you could put in the announcement section of the board.
None of the devs has any control on the wiki, let alone its infrastructure.
And is there anybody who has?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

RGVV wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:02 pm
And is there anybody who has?
No idea,

Also, stickied here so that people can respond if anyone has any news or updates - you cannot post responses in the Announcements forum.
RGVV
Competent
Competent

Post by RGVV »

Also, stickied here so that people can respond if anyone has any news or updates - you cannot post responses in the Announcements forum.
I see. Thanks for your help!
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Is not maik the current Wiki Wizard? According to his forum profile he was online a bit earlier today. So, hopefully, the outage should not last too much longer. That is, of course, dependent on its severity and how much free time maik has to dedicate to its repair.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Cody

Post by Cody »

Nite Owl wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:19 pm
Is not maik the current Wiki Wizard?
Yes, but winston owns the server. I believe maik has access, but whether that runs to server repairs, I know not.

I might be wrong about all that, but then I'm only a dumb pilot.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

"YIKES !!" he shouted while bowing and praying to the Lords of the Backup Copy.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon