planet politics

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

cultist
Competent
Competent

planet politics

Post by cultist »

eg:(anarchy,communism etc) why were they introduced?
I`ll either find a way or make one!
Prophaniti
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Prophaniti »

The type of government doesn't really mean that much.

They represent various levels of governmental control, anarchies have none. They are the most dangerous systems with lots of pirates, corporate states are the safest with few pirates.

It also looks like the wealthier planets tend to have more secure governments.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Specifically, the primary (only?) effect is to alter the chances of pirates and police appearing.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

The published 'official' reason is that Bell and/or Braben like the Traveller RPG, where they used a similar system for identifying a world's political background. That's why the concept is there.

Elite puts it into practice by using it to denote how dangerous a system is. Corporate State is the safest system to fly into, and if you fly to one of these you will normally be guaranteed safe passage from beacon to planet, depending on your rank and cargo.

Anarchy worlds have no policing, and are therefore a haven for pirates. If you fly into one, be ready for a fight. If you are carrying valuable cargo, your ass is grass, and if you aren't packing an iron ass you'll be dancing with the angels on the head of a military laser.

Dammit, why am I talking like a grizzled spacer?
Draco_Caeles
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Draco_Caeles »

*looks across at you with his one good eye and one optical implant*

Cos you IS a grizzled spacer, Cap'n Sel'zen... ;)
TedJ
Deadly
Deadly

Post by TedJ »

Draco_Caeles wrote:
*looks across at you with his one good eye and one optical implant*

Cos you IS a grizzled spacer, Cap'n Sel'zen... ;)
Did you drop your other contact lens? :wink:
Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commodore Sics D'fore »

Selezen wrote:
...If you are carrying valuable cargo, your ass is grass, ...
Which makes me wonder: How do those pirates know what is in my cargo hold? I can't tell what's in theirs!

What do people think? Would it be cool or not to have some kind of sensor device for purchase that tells you (at least to some degree) what other ships are carrying? I don't even know if it would be practical from a programming standpoint (as I know nothing about programming), but would such a thing add or detract from the game experience, in your opinions? Would it spoil the suprise too much, or add an extra layer of strategy/interest to the game?
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

When you buy your cargo, the transaction goes through the Galactic Bank, station trading systems and the systems of the company or individual you are trading with. Certain unscrupulous individuals can tap into these systems and work out who's carrying the juicy cargo. Then it's just a TS comDirect message to the destination system and you are in the targetting circle.

Who needs fancy scanners when a credit in the right pocket can do so much more? These guys don't leave it to chance encounters, you know...
Kriken Overlord
Competent
Competent

Post by Kriken Overlord »

I love that idea. Makes my job (piracy) easier. Or at least that file.
There is something deeply, deeply wrong with me, and I intend to find out what it is, as soon as I'm done burning this cat.
NoSleep
Commander
Commander

Post by NoSleep »

The scanner idea makes sense. Otherwise, if I choose to be a pirate myself, how come I'm the only one without this inside information?

Instead of scanner, there could be a message describing a ship that is carrying valuable cargo in that system. That would make it more of a hunt, like a mini-mission within each system. Maybe you should have to buy in to this (high price, of course).

Shouldn't this be in 'suggestions' BTW? edit: I'll start a thread meself 8^)