Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

switching ships... bug or feature?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

fraterchaos
Above Average
Above Average

switching ships... bug or feature?

Post by fraterchaos »

Ok, not sure if this is the proper thread to post this question, as it concerns an expansion, but it's a fairly general inquiry so here goes...

I have the expansions that allow you to buy different ships, and store the other ships in the "Hyperspace Hangar"... but I have noticed something weird... if I buy a ship and then try to switch back to a previous ship, I not only have to pay full price for the ship I already own, but I lose my lasers. It sets the lasers back to the "standard model"

Is this how it is supposed to work?

It's kind of a bummer because I have some very hard to find, high power UBER lasers on my current ship, and I don't want to have to spend hours searching to buy replacements... but there are occasionally other ships I would like to purchase just to have them for future use...

So is there a way to save a ship in the Hangar and then go back to it without losing the lasers and other equipment you added?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: switching ships... bug or feature?

Post by Diziet Sma »

To me, that very much sounds like a bug.. given that it's an uncommon one, it may well be due to incompatibility with some other OXP.

The easiest way to test for clashes between OXPs (after reading the logs for clues, of course), is to use a binary search to find the culprit. See this post for a description of how to do that:

http://oolite.aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic ... 84#p216384
fraterchaos wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:40 pm
Ok, not sure if this is the proper thread to post this question, as it concerns an expansion

Generally speaking, questions about a particular OXP are best posted in the thread dedicated to that OXP. Most OXP creators have their messages set up so they get notified of any posts to that thread. In this case, that would be this one:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=17437

phkb is the current maintainer of Hyperspace Hangar, and he's usually around, so you'll have some more knowledgeable help soon.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

In this case I think I know what the problem is. Can you tell me, do you have the Laser Mount Switching System installed? You just have to have it installed in the game, not actually buying any of the equipment for your ship. LMSS acts as a broker for New Lasers when installing them programmatically which might solve the problem.
fraterchaos
Above Average
Above Average

Post by fraterchaos »

Diziet Sma wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:52 pm
To me, that very much sounds like a bug.. given that it's an uncommon one, it may well be due to incompatibility with some other OXP.

The easiest way to test for clashes between OXPs (after reading the logs for clues, of course), is to use a binary search to find the culprit. See this post for a description of how to do that:

http://oolite.aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic ... 84#p216384
fraterchaos wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:40 pm
Ok, not sure if this is the proper thread to post this question, as it concerns an expansion

Generally speaking, questions about a particular OXP are best posted in the thread dedicated to that OXP. Most OXP creators have their messages set up so they get notified of any posts to that thread. In this case, that would be this one:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=17437

phkb is the current maintainer of Hyperspace Hangar, and he's usually around, so you'll have some more knowledgeable help soon.

Well, I do have the LMSS installed as a expansion, but I'm not using any LMSS on my ship.

Just for any help it might bring to the discussion, I'm flying a dark Rainbow, and I have the UBER lasers enabled, and the front laser is the AceRimmer, the aft is the Anderson ITC Belter, and port and starboard are Kruger Artillery Cannons.

If I buy a new ship, and then try to switch back to the Dark Rainbow, all my equipment is there except the lasers. It defaults back to a Lance and Ferman LF90 which is listed as "standard equipment" on a Dark Rainbow... that's for the front, all other laser mounts are empty.

It's not a huge deal, except that once in a while I see some ship I wouldn't mind adding to my collection, but I can't if I want to continue on in the game with the current configuration of the Dark Rainbow. The AceRimmer Laser in particular is especially hard to find, even on TL14, 15 and 16 stations.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

fraterchaos wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:32 am
Well, I do have the LMSS installed as a expansion, but I'm not using any LMSS on my ship.

Well, as phkb pointed out; "You just have to have it installed in the game, not actually buying any of the equipment for your ship".

So even if you're not using it, just having it installed is going to cause problems for Hyperspace Hangar.. try uninstalling it for a bit and see what happens.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
fraterchaos
Above Average
Above Average

Re: [EDIT] switching ships... bug or feature?

Post by fraterchaos »

Diziet Sma wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:16 pm
fraterchaos wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:32 am

Well, as phkb pointed out; "You just have to have it installed in the game, not actually buying any of the equipment for your ship".

So even if you're not using it, just having it installed is going to cause problems for Hyperspace Hangar.. try uninstalling it for a bit and see what happens.
ah ok, I wasn't sure, the way he phrased it it sounded as if he was saying I needed to have it installed. I'll try removing it and see if that helps.

[EDIT]

Well, as far as I can tell, it is still removing all the lasers from the my current ship when I try to switch back to it.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Sorry I was unclear. There's a bit of history between LMSS and New Lasers, which resulted in a patch to New Lasers so that LMSS could switch lasers at any time. On reflection, though, I think my patch was a little short-sighted as it required LMSS to be available in the game (not installed on a ship) in order for New Lasers to allow for a laser to be added outside it's normal restrictions.

Anyway, if it didn't work with LMSS installed, it certainly wasn't going to work without it!

OK, I've loaded a new version of Hyperspace Hangar to the download manager (v1.14.11), which will need LMSS to be installed, but hopefully will allow New Lasers to be swapped in/out.

Let me know how it goes.
fraterchaos
Above Average
Above Average

Post by fraterchaos »

phkb wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:03 am
Sorry I was unclear. There's a bit of history between LMSS and New Lasers, which resulted in a patch to New Lasers so that LMSS could switch lasers at any time. On reflection, though, I think my patch was a little short-sighted as it required LMSS to be available in the game (not installed on a ship) in order for New Lasers to allow for a laser to be added outside it's normal restrictions.

Anyway, if it didn't work with LMSS installed, it certainly wasn't going to work without it!

OK, I've loaded a new version of Hyperspace Hangar to the download manager (v1.14.11), which will need LMSS to be installed, but hopefully will allow New Lasers to be swapped in/out.

Let me know how it goes.
Well, I updated the Hyperspace Hangar, and re-installed the LMSS, and it is still removing the lasers on my current ship.

I buy a new ship, then go to the Hangar and choose switch ships, and choose the ship I was using before buying the new one, and when it is delivered, it has only one Lance & Ferman Military Laser mounted in front, all others are missing. (The front laser was NOT a LF Military before either)

Could it be a problem with the Dark Rainbow ship oxp itself?
phkb

Post by phkb »

fraterchaos wrote:
Could it be a problem with the Dark Rainbow ship oxp itself?
Could be. I’ll have to do some more tests to confirm. It’s probably going to be a few days before I can get to this, though. I’m away from my normal routine at the moment. Should be able to do something early next week.
fraterchaos
Above Average
Above Average

Post by fraterchaos »

no problem, it's not like I can't play the game or anything...

whenever you get to it
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

The bug was a missing support of Uber lasers in Ship Storage Helper OXP, please update it in the Misc category to v0.29. Thanks to phkb who found the solution.
fraterchaos
Above Average
Above Average

Post by fraterchaos »

it is now telling me that OXPConfig and Library Config are not enabled or installed and it cannot provide options.

As far as I can tell, both packages ARE installed. I even removed them both, along with removing the updated Storage Helper, then re-installed all of them, and it still reports the same message:

"OXPConfig and Library Config not enabled/installed. Cannot Provide options"

OK UPDATE:

I tried going to the OXP Config screen. It didn't have any options for any of the associated OXPs but I stored my configuration anyway. Afterward, I tried again to switch ships, no longer got the message about OXPConfig and Library Config not be enables/installed, but still could not switch ships to any ships I already owned. Tried buying a new ship, and then switched back to my previous ship, and lo and behold, my lasers were still there, so at least that part is fixed.

Now I am wondering if the reason I could not switch to any of the ships I already owned is that I have to transfer them to my current location first?

UPDATE 2:

Nope, transferring a ship to my current locations still doesn't allow me to switch to that ship.