[Linux] Assign more RAM to Oolite?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

MCO
Poor
Poor

[Linux] Assign more RAM to Oolite?

Post by MCO »

Hey everyone,
i already apologize if this belongs to some other forum - this is literally my first activity here.
Now, let's keep it short: i started playing oolite recently, and ended up using almost every retexture/ambient oxp there is. now, even though most of the times my fps are stable around 60, there are some situations (the witchspace animation, sudden loopings, too many ships on screen), where i drop to 0 fps for a second. which, of course, almost killed me a few times. so i looked into my task manager in order to find the "weak spot".
my CPU is constantly at about 50% -> not the cause.
i can't say how much of my graphics memory oolite uses. but i have 256MB, maybe you can tell me.
but what i found interesting is that, no matter what i do, oolite is always using 2GB RAM - which of course leads to the thought that it simply can't use any more, so it has to reload textures from the drive everytime they come up again.
in case i am correct: is there any way to assign more RAM to oolite? i could give it up to 4GB, which should definitely be enough, that's why i'm asking. otherwise, i'll just remove some oxps.
thanks in advance!

specs:
2x Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 @3.33GHz
6GB RAM
Linux Mint 18 Sarah MATE 64bit, Kernel: Linux 4.4.0-59-generic
Nvidia Quadro FX 1800, 256MB memory, driver: nvidia-340
Last edited by MCO on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honorable Trader/Pirate Hunter.
Current Kill Count: 544
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: [Linux] Assign more RAM to Oolite?

Post by Norby »

Welcome MCO!

I think there is no such way what you imagined. In my experience Oolite use as much RAM as texture-heavy oxps need. If you have more then it will be used as disc cache by the OS which also help to avoid disk access second time.

Witchspace animation can stay due to the creation of the new system is happen this time. Similar with launch from the station when many oxps run setup in the background.

256M video RAM is not so much, I got improvement when I raised the allocation from 512MB to 1GB in BIOS for my integrated card.
MCO
Poor
Poor

Post by MCO »

guess you're right, seems like it's not about the RAM... i played oolite today and was surprised to see it climbing up to 2,2GB RAM usage - so there is no limitation i am hitting. i will look at the graphic memory then. thanks!

edit: i like your ambience collection :p
Last edited by MCO on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honorable Trader/Pirate Hunter.
Current Kill Count: 544
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander! As Norby says, more video RAM would help (if possible).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!