Trouble with the 'Amnesty' mission

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

TheOldGamer
Competent
Competent

Trouble with the 'Amnesty' mission

Post by TheOldGamer »

Hello, folks :)

As the title suggests, I'm having trouble with the mission in which amnesty is offered by GalGop in return for a combat mission.
I try to keep my nose clean, but I went rogue and attacked a station in order to get Offender status and arrived at the Boehemoth with plenty of time left on the deadline.
There were 2 Boehemoths there; both with the same name (Nimrod) and interlocked so it was impossible to dock. I tried again, managed to dock (they were a little farther apart after loading the save) but once inside, nothing - there is no message or anything; just the usual chance to refuel.

What conditions need to exist in order to trigger the next event? I have Offender status, I arrived on time, it looks like that's what's needed, so I'm a little confused. Thanks :)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Trouble with the 'Amnesty' mission

Post by Smivs »

Interlocked ships sounds like a problem with the OXP and could be a part of the problem.
I do not use this OXP myself so can't help I'm afraid, but it's worth mentioning that issues like this are usually better dealt with on the thread for the OXP in the Expansion Pack forum. The author is more likely to see it - most active authors regularly check their OXP threads, or even have email alerts set up to notify them that a post regarding their OXP has been made.
I hope somebody can sort you out soon.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
TheOldGamer
Competent
Competent

Post by TheOldGamer »

Yeah; I posted here because I couldn't find it at first - it was down on page 9. :D

At any rate, I think I might know what's happening; there was nothing specifically referring to my problem but suggestions around other issues gave me something to go on. I'll have to find another Anarchy nearby to trigger the mission since this one's expired.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

TheOldGamer wrote:
Yeah; I posted here because I couldn't find it at first - it was down on page 9. :D
The board search plug-in is your friend here.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander Bumble
Average
Average

Post by Commander Bumble »

Hi folks.

My first post, hope this'll work. Firstly, much gratitude and appreciation for the immense work of the Oolite Elite - you bastards have created - and work hard to maintain and improve - something amazing, I'm worryingly addicted and spend far more time in the Ooniverse than I should.

I've been playing a few years on and off, in a handful of incarnations. Currently Deadly, Galaxy 2, flying an iron-ass Stormbrewer Vigilante. I frequently encounter minor bugs and mid-game crashes so there's some issues I'll post about and try to solve elsewhere.

I've tried to play the Navy Reserve mission several times without success, and I'm convinced there's a bug. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is a core element of the game, rather than an OXZ - I have no old OXPs except Assasin's Guild. I get the bulletin - "Amnesty offer in X... for Offenders & Fugitives...report to Behemoth Y by Z...". I've tried this several ways, but always when I dock at the Navy Behemoth.... nothing happens. I've tried everything I can think of several times over. Looking at other older posts around the subject, I'm reminded there used to be a Reserve Leaderboard and somewhere I could 'log in' to a Navy Missions terminal to sign up, via F4 when docked. I get nothing of the sort, and no messages, no marks on the map, no way of following other ships zooming off to start, nilch, nada, rien de tout.

I've had a look at the latest.log files, and there a few glitches popping up in there but nothing that seems to be related - to my untrained eye.

I'm running on a Lenovo Thinkpad from mebbe 2013, using Linux Mint.

Any ideas?

Meanwhile, to the poster above - I have only ever seen 2 'interlocking' behemoths, and I dock fine every time. I just go to the navigation bouy, turn to the behemoth, hit '<r> to lock the target, hit <SHIFT> <L> to request docking, and proceed to dock manually upon docking clearance.

Many many thanks in advance.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Welcome aboard, Commander Bumble! Glad to hear you're having excellent fun with the game.
Commander Bumble wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is a core element of the game
There are a couple of built in missions, but none have the term "Navy Reserve" as part of their text. I suspect you've got "Anarchies" OXP installed, as I believe that is the one that has the Amnesty offers and Navy reservists. Others have reported having issues with this mission pack. I suspect it's probably in need of a cleanup for the latest version of Oolite. If I get time I'll have a look into the code and see what I can find.
Commander Bumble
Average
Average

Many thanks phkb.

That's interesting. Should I move this conversation elsewhere? Would an excerpt from my latest.log help?

Actually I had another look. I realise I have two AddOns folders, possibly a legacy issue from an old install(?), when I had quite a few OXPs downloaded: one is home/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns (empty) - the other is home/.Oolite/AddOns containing Assassins.OXP

Meanwhile I just did a search for Anarchies in my latest.log and found it listed under:
~/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Commander_McLane.Anarchies.oxz
and
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 276 world scripts:
..... Anarchies 2.9

Interestingly, I also discovered this:
17:23:44.717 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Anarchies 2.9): TypeError: system.shipsWithPrimaryRole("buoy-witchpoint")[0] is undefined

It might also be worth noting I've seen this come up a few times:
17:23:45.443 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Gecko_DS.png".
17:23:45.807 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Gecko_DS_nm.png".
17:23:46.017 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Gecko_DS_fx.png".

and
[script.javaScript.unrootedTimer]: ----- WARNING: Timer <OOJSTimer 0xd340170>{nextTime: 60.3016, one-shot, running, function: anonymous} is being garbage-collected while still running. You must keep a reference to all running timers, or they will stop unpredictably!

Hope that's insightful!
Commander Bumble The Magnificent, flying a Dark Rainbow: The Torch Of Righteousness.
Deadly to the reprobate, salvation for the tyrannised.
What's that you say, a horde of marauding n'eer-do-wells? They shall rue the day.
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

OK, I've had a look and I think I've managed to fix a few of the issues:

1. Issues with double Behemoths appearing in system
2. Issues with the amnesty mission not being triggered when docking at the Behemoth
3. Javascript "undefined" error relating to "bouy-witchspace".

This file (anarchies.js) is a drop-in replacement for the existing file in the Anarchies "Scripts" folder. I've given this file version number 2.9.1 to keep it distinct from the original. To use this file you'll need to do the following:

1. Convert the OXZ into an OXP (which requires you to rename the OXZ as ZIP, then unzip the contents into an ".oxp" folder in your Addons folder)
2. Copy the file into the "Scripts" folder and overwrite the original.

If this proves successful perhaps the current maintainer of the Anarchies OXP could incorporate the fix into the main OXZ.

Let me know if you hit any snags.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

phkb wrote:
the current maintainer of the Anarchies OXP could incorporate the fix into the main OXZ.
It is under my account in the manager. I checked, looks good so I uploaded into the manager, you can update it within the game.
Commander Bumble
Average
Average

Many many thanks Ooli-gang! I have tears of joy and appreciation, of regret at the many hours wasted traipsing across the Ooniverse trying to get this mission to trigger correctly when I should have just posted in the firendliest board etc, and more tears of remorse at all the things on my to-do list that shall remain unticked a while longer.

1) It worked! I updated the OXZ via the manager: Anarchies vers 2.91. I relaunched from the main station (my last save), headed to the (now single) behemoth, docked and immediately got a message enlisting me for navy reserve duty with details of where to go. Hurrah!

2) However.... I realised I'd forgotten some chores, overconfidently quit the game to return to my previous save-point at the main station, and when I re-launched to head for the navy behemoth, it had disappeared and so had the mission 'amnesty offer' from the F5 screen. Aaargggh! Is there something I can change the value of in eg the latest.log or oolite-save file to re-trigger the mission (or even is there a way of backtracking to my previous save???).... or am I resigned to just waiting for the next 'amnesty offer' navy reserve mission to pop up again in the future?
Commander Bumble The Magnificent, flying a Dark Rainbow: The Torch Of Righteousness.
What's that you say, a horde of marauding n'eer-do-wells? They shall rue the day.
Commander Bumble
Average
Average

Hold that - FIXED!

Took a wild guess, found the relevant line in my oolite-save file, adjusted the string value for mission_anarchies_amnesty_deadline to another date just ahead - even though I appeared to still be in time to my untrained eye - and I was able to reload, launch, successfully locate the navy behemoth, get enlisted and I'm now en route to a Thargoid Mega Battle.

At ease chap/ettes.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Good to hear. :) If you wish to tell more about your progress then we have a popular Tales from the spacelanes topic.