Space Dredgers ??!!! What is that...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

mocbo
Above Average
Above Average

Space Dredgers ??!!! What is that...

Post by mocbo »

I´ve played Elite on the c64 from 90 to 94 and in that Time i become the Title "Deadly". Sometimes there are some misterios Events and Encounters. The First Thing was the Tribbles Mission... than after a long Time i becomes the Constrictor Mission.

Short after that i have encountered am misterios Ship. I called it the "Stealth Pirate" because it was not detectable on Scanner.
The Encounter has occuured at Enonla near the Lave System after going trough all 8 Galaxies.

A rumour goes around in that Time, that in Elite existing a large and long titaneos Ship. A mobile Pirate Base i mentioned.....

I have thinked, that is only a Rumour or a nice Story to keep us playing.... but in the Last Days i found in the Internet Indices for the Existence of such huge Ships.

I mean these ominous SPACE DREDGERS and GENERATION SHIPS
What are these Ships??. Are there existing Pictures of these Ships ?
I did´nt found any Pics of these Ships on the whole Internet.

Then... Are there these Ships in Oolite integrated?. Where i can find these?.

Greetings

Moc
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

The C-64 version didn't have space dredgers, generation ships, or pirate bases.

Oolite doesn't have these big ships either, as far as I know. I recall a thread a long time ago where the it was said it was only fair for Giles to create these ships and have Oolite be the first version of Elite that included them because the game is his baby.

You can script what happens in witchspace in Oolite, and that would be a pretty good place to look for these things.

Pirate bases have been done in an OXP, which is cool.
Regards,
David Taylor.
mocbo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by mocbo »

i have encountered a Behemoth in the Game today in Riedquat.
I was impressed in that Ship, but i didnt attacked it, because Pirates was near...

Next i saw the Screenshot from the Generation Ship in Acortn Elite...
WOW this is really big.

Whhat is the Release Time of Space Dredgers an Gen Ships?.
I cant await to see them

Greetings

Moc
mocbo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by mocbo »

Are Space Dredgers in the Amiga Elite or in Frontier... or FFE? or in other elites?
The biggest Ship i could seen was the Long Range Cruiser in Frontier and FFE

Greetings

Moc
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Space Dredgers and generation ships are currently mouldering on my HD until v1.65 collision code coalesces correctly. The new behemoths are part of a test package for handling collision with concave ship shapes which will allow much larger ships geometry to work properly with the game engine.

This may allow a range of new possibilities (eg. rock hermit bases tucked into the sides of craters on larger asteroids, inboard docking bays on stations and huge carriers etc...)
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
mocbo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by mocbo »

that sounds great...

What is the Release of the new oolite Version? 1.65 ??
and then of the huge ships...

About the Behemoth.. There is a Behemoth in Riedquat . Every Jump to Riedquat let me see this Ship there. It is no way to miss the Ship by the Transit Flight from the Witcchpoint to the Station...

There are no Pirates in the whole Riedquat Sector... in the Original Elite there was many Swarms and Squadrons of Pirates there.

The Ship is permanent there and it deletes the Pirate Threat ( and the Fun) from the System,

Greetings

Moc
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

aegidian wrote:
Space Dredgers and generation ships are currently mouldering on my HD until v1.65 collision code coalesces correctly. The new behemoths are part of a test package for handling collision with concave ship shapes which will allow much larger ships geometry to work properly with the game engine.

This may allow a range of new possibilities (eg. rock hermit bases tucked into the sides of craters on larger asteroids, inboard docking bays on stations and huge carriers etc...)
What about that docking bay bug i mentioned - did you succeed in reproducing it in your environment?
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

mocbo wrote:
There are no Pirates in the whole Riedquat Sector... in the Original Elite there was many Swarms and Squadrons of Pirates there.

The Ship is permanent there and it deletes the Pirate Threat ( and the Fun) from the System.
Maybe you should spice up Ridequat a bit by doing some piracy yourself. :^) I'm sure the other traders would appreciate a break from the boring cargo lugging.

The fighter pilots in the behemoth would be delighted.
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

The Super Dredger has the commodity lists for Gold, Platinum and Gem Stones listed as type 0 for tons, when they really should be type 1 for Kg or type 2 for grams.

Leaving them like this currently can crash the game.
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=88684#88684

This issue has been affecting other OXPs as well.

It would be nice if this OXP could have its commodity.plist file updated so that this issue is fixed.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

pmw57 wrote:
It would be nice if this OXP could have its commodity.plist file updated so that this issue is fixed.
Consider it fixed in the new 2.2.4 update. (just uploaded).

Since Oolite 1.73 it is also possible to salvage game created derelicts. (During a fight created). This is an Oolite change not a change of this oxp and will also work with previous versions.

EDIT. Forget version 2.2.4. I just realise that commodity plist was never used for the dredgers.oxp, so fixing these data does not change anything. Will do a 2.2.5 soon.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Eric Walch wrote:
Since Oolite 1.73 it is also possible to salvage game created derelicts. (During a fight created). This is an Oolite change not a change of this oxp and will also work with previous versions.
:!:

Eric, does that mean that if I want the OSE ships to become wrecks at destruction and to be potentially salvageable by your salvage missile, I do not need to spawn a wreck as a death action etc. anymore?

That would be very important information for me!

Cheers

L
Eric Walch

Re: ..

Post by Eric Walch »

Lestradae wrote:
Eric, does that mean that if I want the OSE ships to become wrecks at destruction and to be potentially salvageable by your salvage missile, I do not need to spawn a wreck as a death action etc. anymore?

Indeed, the wrecks created in combat because a pilot ejects are now salvageable themselves. Since 1.73 the max speed is no longer set to zero for those ships. The salvage missiles from older version of the dredgers.oxp already examined this value to see if they could salvage the ship.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Lestradae »

Eric Walch wrote:
Lestradae wrote:

Indeed, the wrecks created in combat because a pilot ejects are now salvageable themselves. Since 1.73 the max speed is no longer set to zero for those ships. The salvage missiles from older version of the dredgers.oxp already examined this value to see if they could salvage the ship.
Aha! Will take the wreck-creation and wreck entries out again, then.

Thanks for the info :)
imipak
Above Average
Above Average

Re: Space Dredgers ??!!! What is that...

Post by imipak »

mocbo wrote:
I have thinked, that is only a Rumour or a nice Story to keep us playing.... but in the Last Days i found in the Internet Indices for the Existence of such huge Ships.

I mean these ominous SPACE DREDGERS and GENERATION SHIPS
What are these Ships??. Are there existing Pictures of these Ships ?
I did´nt found any Pics of these Ships on the whole Internet.

Then... Are there these Ships in Oolite integrated?. Where i can find these?
There are no Space Dredgers (that I know of) that match the description in the original manual. I did a calculation based on the original manual, which I posted on the USENET group for Elite some time back, which basically says Space Dredgers are about 17 times the size of the largest class of Super Star Destroyer in the Star Wars universe.

If the ship had any kind of level of detail to it, the CPU requirements would be horrific. There's a potential for a LOT of polygons there, way more than would be used in total for even large flotillas.

Since a Space Dredger is supposed to go into highly dangerous zones, we can use the stats for the Super Star Destroyer as a starting point to figure out the firepower. A Super Star Destroyer is usually described has having about 1,500 turrets along the port and starboard sides. This would give a Space Dredger a maximum of 51,000 plasma turrets.

As it stands, the Space Dredgers available as an expansion pack are nothing like this. But would you really want to face a full-sized one?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Space Dredgers ??!!! What is that...

Post by Screet »

imipak wrote:
There are no Space Dredgers (that I know of) that match the description in the original manual. I did a calculation based on the original manual, which I posted on the USENET group for Elite some time back, which basically says Space Dredgers are about 17 times the size of the largest class of Super Star Destroyer in the Star Wars universe.
Did you ever encounter this super sized dredger which fills the entire scanner? It's already immensely big when seen directly after launch from the station although it's around the W buoy itself ;)

I only saw it once, though...

Screet