Help

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

LK901
Harmless
Harmless

Help

Post by LK901 »

Hello,
Newbie here, so newbie questions (noob?).
I like Oolite. It is sci-fi (always cool), a simulation (sometimes cool) and it is Free and Open Source. Great. But... wtf is this game so hard?
Apparently there is a tutorial....somewhere? I can't find it. space flight is limited to merely jumping through space and then for 20 or so minutes setting the green marker to your planet and increasing speed to max. Lots of fun. But then... when you try to dock it fails. I read the docking article, lined myself up with the buoy, turned around, revolved slowly in sync with the station. So far so good. 1/3 speed. Entering tunnel... Yay looks like I got it right.....no! WTF! A wall at the back of the station?!! Seriously! How am I supposed to dock? How does this game play.

Someone please help me before I uninstall this....
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Help

Post by Cody »

Hello... have you tried simply flying through the wall?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

LK901 wrote:
Apparently there is a tutorial....somewhere? I can't find it.
I knew we shouldn't have put it in an obvious place, people have trouble finding it... ;-)

Start game, then from the intro screen menu Start New Commander, and second option down: Tutorial. I trust you are on version 1.82, right?
ocz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by ocz »

Maybe, I shouldn't metion it, as I don't want to mess up the learning curve and the tutorial has also already been mentioned, but anyways...as I also skipped the tutorial and had trouble with it...concerning the part about flying around for 20 minutes...for everyone else also skipping it, here's a tip (I wished somebody gave to me back then): Try pressing the 'j'-key. If there is an onscreen message and nothing else is happening, try again later after you did something about the enviroment. (Depending on chance the best time trying to test it, is imidiatly after a witchjump.)
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

LK901 wrote:
A wall at the back of the station?
Welcome LK901!

In my mind this wall is the inner door which open after the front door is closed behind the ship. You should fly into the dock without stop, first time looks like you will knock soon but at the moment when your ship's nose reach the center of the dock you should see the automatic docking sequence.

An easy practice if you try land back right after your first launch.

If you think it still too hard then there are many helper addon like Autodock, [wiki]ILS[/wiki] or [wiki]Neo-Docklights[/wiki] in the expansion manager, but all people in this forum always suggests to new players that play the game without game-changing addons first. Packages in the Ambience category are fine at start like a graphical update, for example [wiki]BGS[/wiki] add a much better lookout into the docking tunnel and F2-F8 screens.
Zed
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Zed »

If you're not one for tutorials, you can practice at Lave as well. Just launch from the station, fly out to the buoy, stop, turn around, get docking permission and fly back in. Watching some video examples might help too.
Oo: Rebooting
E:D: Hunting for Earth-likes