Split: Oolite Headtracking

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Split: Oolite Headtracking

Post by another_commander »

Split from Elite Dangerous discussion in Outworld
Diziet Sma wrote:
(And if you're looking for more motivation, there's currently a development branch working on integrating head-tracking into Oolite :wink: :D 8) )
Oh dear, the cat's out of the bag... ;-)

Well, hopefully we'll have something very cool coming up on this soon... Stay tuned.
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous

Post by mossfoot »

Whoa. I assume it will also work with something like facetracknoir???

Awesome news :)

I'm currently cannibalizing an old keyboard by stripping out unused keys on, painting the used ones in a color coded way, and overlaying the board with a sheet of plastic to hide the gaps, just to make it more control panel like and remove confusion hitting wrong keys.
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

another_commander wrote:
Well, if it was meant to be a surprise, you need to not let the cat send emails of the dev's comments.. :wink: :lol:
mossfoot wrote:
I'm currently cannibalizing an old keyboard by stripping out unused keys on, painting the used ones in a color coded way, and overlaying the board with a sheet of plastic to hide the gaps, just to make it more control panel like and remove confusion hitting wrong keys.
Just be sure to make it so that keys can be added again later, if new keys get added to Oolite down the track. :wink:
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Diziet Sma wrote:
another_commander wrote:
Well, if you wanted it kept quiet, you need to not let the cat send emails of the dev's comments.. :wink: :lol:
I think it was also on github... 8)
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Pleb wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
another_commander wrote:
Well, if you wanted it kept quiet, you need to not let the cat send emails of the dev's comments.. :wink: :lol:
I think it was also on github... 8)
It's OK, it's not meant to be a secret, otherwise we would not be putting the branch on github - and I am aware of the github comments being visible to anyone who wants to have a look at what's going on.

I was just hoping it would manage to go under the radar for just a little bit longer, in time for us to be ready with it.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Split: Oolite Headtracking

Post by Pleb »

I tend to keep up to date with how things are going by looking at the branches on github! Unfortunately real life commitments have kept me from being able to play much nowadays but I do try to find the time when possible.
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Cdr_Somersby
Average
Average

Post by Cdr_Somersby »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Just be sure to make it so that keys can be added again later, if new keys get added to Oolite down the track. :wink:
Provided the underlying pressure pads below the plastic gap hiders is still there, it should be just a case of clipping a new button back into place, shouldn't it? I love this idea; will have to scrounge an old keyboard and consider the same thing.

Headtracking in Oolite? Sign me up. :D
Somersby Cargo - "No Questions Asked"

Commander's Profile
Name: Jedediah ('Jeb') Somersby
Vessel: Cobra Mark III Alkazar
Rated: Harmless
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Given that hardware limitations are often an issue with people (as in can't afford to buy new hardware), I assume this won't only be an IR based system? I mentioned FaceTrackNoIR before, which would only use a webcam that most people would already have.
--

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Pleb wrote:
Unfortunately real life commitments have kept me from being able to play much nowadays but I do try to find the time when possible.
Heh.. in my case, at the moment it's a serious Kerbal Space Program addiction! :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

The primary goal, for the time being, is to add "free view" functionality via keyboard and joystick. The idea is to use any headtrack s/w that can interface with a virtual joystick driver, such as ppjoy, vjoy etc.
Native support of currently available headtrack s/w API is not a priority.

For test and development I use FreeTrack with PPJoy and a custom made IR-set. The FreeTrack site has extensive instructions on how to build an IR-set.
If you want to avoid messing up with camera tweaking and led soldering, PM me and I can provide you with a set that it I also use with E:D. :)
I was led to the IR solution as for me it seemed to have better results. However, there are dozens of players out there, that achieved better results, than me :oops:, with FacetrackNoIR with a variety of game titles.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Getafix wrote:
The primary goal, for the time being, is to add "free view" functionality via keyboard and joystick. The idea is to use any headtrack s/w that can interface with a virtual joystick driver, such as ppjoy, vjoy etc.
Native support of currently available headtrack s/w API is not a priority.

For test and development I use FreeTrack with PPJoy and a custom made IR-set. The FreeTrack site has extensive instructions on how to build an IR-set.
If you want to avoid messing up with camera tweaking and led soldering, PM me and I can provide you with a set that it I also use with E:D. :)
I was led to the IR solution as for me it seemed to have better results. However, there are dozens of players out there, that achieved better results, than me :oops:, with FacetrackNoIR with a variety of game titles.
Oh, I'm sure I'll end up disappointed with my attempts on FaceTrackNoIR as well, but I'm hoping to get lucky to save me time and effort. For example, with the PS Eye I'd need to open it up and remove the IR filter before I could even think of using it with an IR setup, IIRC. I'm giving myself enough projects as it is, but I'm sure eventually I'll have to come to it :P
--

ancipital
Average
Average

Post by ancipital »

mossfoot wrote:
Given that hardware limitations are often an issue with people (as in can't afford to buy new hardware), I assume this won't only be an IR based system? I mentioned FaceTrackNoIR before, which would only use a webcam that most people would already have.
The way that most sims do it is to support TrackIR protocol, but also generic joystick headlook, that gives you a bunch of options. I have been playing with some of them lately- and a lot of homebrew stuff is possible cheaply, and works well.

Despite the name, you can make a pretty decent IR tracking setup with FacetrackNoIR. You need an IR source to clip onto your headphones, and an IR pass filter (the guts of a floppy disk will do). I did this with a four quid PS3 camera from Amazon- popped it open and chopped the IR filter out with a Stanley knife (a five minute job, even for a klutz like me).

It works pretty well! I was using a pre-built IR source:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DelanClip-Mot ... 1456150295

Here's how you butcher the ps3 camera:

https://codelaboratories.com/research/v ... isassembly

Here's the windows driver for the ps3 camera:

https://codelaboratories.com/products/eye/driver/

Used with Facetrack NoIR, it was pretty good, after some fiddling. The total cost was about 35 quid, for a full-blown IR tracking system. Not pocket change, but not bad.

Another nice option is the EDTracker, using an Arduino to emulate a USB HID joystick directly. This doesn't give you full six degrees of freedom like the above, but then, it was built for Elite: Dangerous, which doesn't really pay much attention to spatial translations. It's very cheap and simple, and works really well. It costs about a tenner to roll your own, or you can get a pre-built one for twentysomething quid. The guys responsible are very nice and friendly.

http://edtracker.org.uk/

That said, I am on the dark side now, with a TrackIR5, because I love how wide-angle the sensor is, and the indicator LED feedback for the tracking is handy. It's very slick and robust. Way overpriced, of course, and TrackIR are somewhat evil. However, the product is very good indeed. Anyone tempted by TrackIR should avoid getting a bundle with the "Proclip" though, it's really flimsy. Either use the included retro-reflective Trackclip, which works well clipped onto a cap, or get the Delanclip from the ebay link above- the layout is TrackIR compatible.

I personally prefer the Trackclip, as then I don't have to keep routing an extra USB cable down my headphone/headset cable- or swapping things between my nice HD-25s and my gaming headset (the former sounds much nicer, the latter has a mic).

In any case, if OOlite were to support just joystick POV, that'd work. If it were to support other protocols too, it'd be even easier to get working. It'd be really exciting either way, though- I'd love me some of that. I would tempted to set Voiceattack up too, for some speech control of systems :)

Edit:

Oh, and I forgot to mention.. there's another approach, if you don't mind looking really daft. For the price of an Alice band and a scrunchy, you can strap your phone to your head, and use that that!

https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/ ... adtracking
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Click the image below for a sneak peek of Oolite free-view. :)

"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Fascinating!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!