Crossing the Great Rift

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Crossing the Great Rift

Post by ffutures »

Looking through past messages here I've seen plenty of references to crossing the Great Rift in Galaxy 7, mostly via a misjump, but I've spent most of the last week travelling east and west on the edges of the rift, a couple of months in game time, visiting all systems, and while I've had a couple of misjumps none have taken me anywhere useful.

I've also done the circuit of all the galaxies a couple of times over the years, jumping into G7 from the NW corner of G6, and that has never worked either.

Is there a trick I'm missing, or a particularly good place for a misjump?

The weird thing is I have a feeling I did it at least once in original Elite (PC version), but I really can't remember how.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Crossing the Great Rift

Post by Cody »

I'll leave this here as a clue - if that ain't enough, I'll be happy to elaborate.
As it happens, I'm currently parked-up on the edge of the Rift, waiting!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

It's an OXP thing.
ffutures wrote:
Looking through past messages here I've seen plenty of references to crossing the Great Rift in Galaxy 7, mostly via a misjump, but I've spent most of the last week travelling east and west on the edges of the rift, a couple of months in game time, visiting all systems, and while I've had a couple of misjumps none have taken me anywhere useful.
There is one interstellar half-way point that is 6.9ly from a system in the rift. So you mis-jump there, then re-fuel in interstellar space and the rift worlds are reachable. It's the re-fuelling that needs to be supplied by OXP. Captain Okti made one years ago with the cryptic title of Link G7.
ffutures wrote:
I've also done the circuit of all the galaxies a couple of times over the years, jumping into G7 from the NW corner of G6, and that has never worked either.
You need to take control of the galdrive and program a specific destination system. Someone once made an OXP for that, too.
Cody

Post by Cody »

No, you don't need an OXP to cross the Great Rift (though it may be quicker via OXP).
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cody wrote:
No, you don't need an OXP to cross the Great Rift (though it may be quicker via OXP).
Well, no. You just need a full fuel tank at the interstellar stop. So surfing another ship's wormhole would do it.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

ffutures wrote:
Did you mean the SW corner of G6?
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

CaptSolo wrote:
ffutures wrote:
Did you mean the SW corner of G6?
Yes, I do - my bad!
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK... could not force a misjump following anyone else on this route, and there seems to be very little other traffic anyway. Nobody seemed to want to follow me either.

Deliberately misjumped into the area several times, most times encountering Thargoids and asteroids, once a messy big battle, Thargoids versus humans - the humans escaped via wormholes back to the north side of the rift. After getting killed by Thargoids several times I wised up and took a Q-bomb on my next trip, took out the main concentration of Thargoids then mopped up the survivors (a couple of warships and three frigates) one at a time. Then hung around blowing up asteroids, while a whole not of nothing much happened. Eventually got so bored I deliberately blew up a star-jelly egg and nuked my own ship...

Am I missing something?
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Okay, so you know how to force a misjump. It takes tricky timing when following another ships wormhole and then their departure and arrival systems have to be specific. Master Cody provided all the clues you need.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Although I do not crossed the Great Rift yet, I can imagine a geometrical solution behind this graph:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

CaptSolo wrote:
It takes tricky timing when following another ships wormhole and then their departure and arrival systems have to be specific. Master Cody provided all the clues you need.
Indeed.. it can require considerable patience to wait for the exact ship you require to appear. And then your timing has to be spot-on as well..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
.. it can require considerable patience to wait for the exact ship you require to appear.
<grins> Hitchhiking - 'twere ever thus! So rewarding when the right ride comes along though!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Aye.. what's the longest you've had to wait for a ride? About an hour and 20 minutes, for me..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

In Oolite, I've waited for over an hour too - watching the goings-on in an aegis can be fascinating! In real life - days!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

And so the "oolite screen saver" was born. Blue Danube anyone?