Nonlinear joystick

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Mad Hollander
Dangerous
Dangerous

Nonlinear joystick

Post by Mad Hollander »

I remember some years ago there was development version with this feature.
Was it added to the release version ?
How to enable it ?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Nonlinear joystick

Post by another_commander »

Yes, it is added. Joystick response is now fully under user control. You can refer to Dizzy's instructions on the wiki for how to use the feature. Link:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Dizzy% ... olite_1.80
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

thanks for the link!! got 1.80 installed last night and decided to try out the logitech extreme 3D pro joystick i got for $10....

well lets just say oops and leave it well enough alone. i did bumble my way to making it work but thank you Dizzy for the tutorial...

i set my dead zones at max so now i will have to trim them back to see when the drift starts. what i would like to know is to which joystick axis did you assign roll,pitch and yaw?

managed to get throughr my first 5 trades without dying but still docking by keyboard arrow keys and ctrl < & >......
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spud42 wrote:
thank you Dizzy for the tutorial...
You're most welcome..
spud42 wrote:
i set my dead zones at max so now i will have to trim them back to see when the drift starts.
It's best to work the other way.. add a touch of dead-zone and test to see if it's sufficient. If not, add a little more and re-test. Don't forget, you can adjust the 'stick settings whilst in-flight.. just pause the game and F2 into the options. That way you can quickly and easily see the results of your changes. (And usually, you won't need to apply dead-zone to every axis. If a 'stick doesn't drift on a given axis, don't apply any to it. Even if you need to correct for drift on more than one axis, as a rule, one axis will require more dead-zone than another)
spud42 wrote:
what i would like to know is to which joystick axis did you assign roll,pitch and yaw?
Assuming I'm understanding your question correctly, roll gets assigned to the left-right tilting of the 'stick (X axis), pitch to the forward-backward tilting (Y axis), and yaw to the twisting-in-place of the hand-grip (Z axis).

Last edited by Diziet Sma on Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
It's best to work the other way.. add a touch of dead-zone and test to see if it's sufficient. If not, add a little more and re-test. Don't forget, you can adjust the 'stick settings whilst in-flight.. just pause the game and F2 into the options. That way you can quickly and easily see the results of your changes.
<nods>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
StathisR
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by StathisR »

spud42 wrote:

i set my dead zones at max so now i will have to trim them back to see when the drift starts.
I have the same stick. I have set the range on all axes to 6 and i don't have to mess with deadzones. It works better this way for me.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

thanks all, i had default settings and the thing drifted all over the place . i had no idea how much effect the settings had so i just maxed it and set the other setting to 2 on all 3 axis. seemed to work in flight but i still had to dock via keyboard. i will try some lower dead zones and increase setting to 3 or 4 and check effect... might get to dock on joystick yet!! damn i missed this game.... and i found i had some commanders saved on BOX!!! as well as the oogle transporter.... but i will need help to finish that.. cheers guys.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spud42 wrote:
i still had to dock via keyboard
You have a couple of options here.. you can either tweak the non-linear roll curve so that you have very fine control with small 'stick movements, or use the joystick precision-mode toggle, which will also make it easier to match rotation. (or combine both methods)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

"Houston we have a problem!" ...... lol

well i have played around with the settings and have roll and pitch on 4 with 0.0150 deadzone, but for yaw i have had to go to 0.0400 deadzone with range set to 5.

Either the joystick is too sensitive or its my lack of skill( this will be it!) but every time i tried to pitch i also yawed starboard . at first i thought i was rolling as well as pitching but nope it is Yaw . so for now tilli get used to this thing i will be flying keyboard for docking and close things and the joystick when its not so finicky...

Waiting till i get some credits together before i try any combat... right now all i do is line them up direct aft and run like hell!!!! havent even got injectors yet....
OR i could go with
or simply
Cody

Post by Cody »

You could disable yaw on the 'stick?
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

a quick google didnt give any joy on that front.. might look into it further after i crash a few more times... lol
OR i could go with
or simply
Cody

Post by Cody »

Simply unset yaw in the in-game Joystick Config - it'll still work via keyboard.
Once you've gotten used to the 'stick, try enabling yaw then - if you need it.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

duh!!!!! nothing to see here move along..... obvious when i think about it now....

anyway i managed to dock by joystick once... but its easier and faster for me to still use the keyboard for now.... getting a few moer trades and got a beam laser now....
Extra cargo pod but not enough furs to fill it!! My new commander Spud42 and my cobra "The Duchess of Erat" are off to trade some more.....
OR i could go with
or simply
Cody

Post by Cody »

spud42 wrote:
My new commander Spud42 and my cobra "The Duchess of Erat" are off to trade some more.....
Look for parcel contracts on F4 - they can be free cash!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spud42 wrote:
Either the joystick is too sensitive or its my lack of skill( this will be it!) but every time i tried to pitch i also yawed starboard . at first i thought i was rolling as well as pitching but nope it is Yaw .
I think I'm beginning to understand why you got it so cheap.. old and worn out, perhaps? :lol:
spud42 wrote:
the logitech extreme 3D pro joystick i got for $10....