Where did we all first find Oolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Where did we all first find Oolite

Post by milinks »

Im sure there are lots of people like me who have trawled the web for a decent rendition of the ultimate space trading game. I'm curious to find out how far and wide the word of Oolite has spread. As such, where did we all first hear or find Oolite? was it, like me, by endless trawling the web? or by word of mouth?

I first found Oolite when i was also looking for an up to date version of an old ZX Spectrum game "Lords Of Midnight" which if found here

http://www.remakes.org/

Where did you all come across this master piece?
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

On USENET when Giles first posted about it. I didn't have a Mac at the time so I couldn't play it. No, I did not buy a PowerBook _just_ to play Oolite before you ask!
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

in a nostalgic moment, I googled elite space osx back in august 2004, not really having a lot of faith in a fruitful result.

Oolite was at around 1.20 then, and it took me a little time before I discovered the ugrade patches that came abnormally thick and fast (every friday!), had suddenly speeded up the game, and included OoTunes.. 8)

not having looked around for this sort of context before, where programmers worked in the open, sincerely considerering incoming advice, and towards a goal of making it easy for a novice to customize the data, I thought this might be the new norm form, with the maturing internet and much reported UNIX brainpower influx to the new OSX etc. so I didn't immediately realize how unique Oolite was/is.
The man next to you is your lunch
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Someone in real life told me about it. I got an email from a mate saying "oi, you sad bugger, you like that Elite game, yeah, so look at this Oolite thingy. It's pretty good IF YOU HAVE A MAC HAHAHAHAHA."

Yes, he is a mac user.

I started hanging around here just before the first Windows alpha was put together.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Now that the Alzheimers is setting in I can't be too sure, but it was probably Retro Remakes same as Milinks
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Selezen wrote:
Someone in real life told me about it.
You're fantasizing again :wink:
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
xaotik
Above Average
Above Average

Post by xaotik »

Through the periodic search for elite remakes (happens atleast once a year), first time I had seen oolite it was Mac-only, but still kept checking out the progress once in a while especially when I saw it was moddable. First time I tried it out was in November when I noticed a port of it on freshports.org's homepage and then later on with the recent win32 builds.
Spooky
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Spooky »

I first found Oolite via a google search for TNK source (I know, I'm such a rotter). I saw it was Mac OS/X only and my heart sank.

I found it again a few months ago when I was trawling through winstons most excellent http://frontiernews.alioth.net (the only think that kindled my desire for Elite-ness during the dark times, well alioth.net and JJFFE :wink:)... and bugger me backwards if there wasn't a linux version. The celebrations were shortlived, it harboured an unseen evil of GNUstep and I wasted weeks of my life attempting the impossible. I then surrendered to the inevitable and compiled GCC, and the rest as they say is history!
Spooky
www.int13h.com
Evil Genius

The most merciful thing in all the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of its contents.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Was searching for a decent spacesim when I was bored...found a banned Elite-clone and JJ's FFE version.

That got me re-interested in the elite fan pages,
then found a link somewhere(probably Alioth.net) to Oolite, took a look, was dissapointed that is was mac only, but hung around to read a few posts on the BBS.

The active cOomunity attracted me and I got excited about the potential of Oo. So I stuck around making suggestions and eventually started working on OXP.
At first only played around with revamped versions of normal craft and a few myFirstShip type craft.
Then got sucked into the TOGY, did some models for that.
Other running projects are: racers, wrex, BadRep, BH_service, and IS_missions.
Riding the Rocket!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

I somewhere bumped into Oolite, don't remember how or where, those days I'd use to do marathon-sessions trawling the intarweb for days in a row, just reading lots and lots of stuff, untill I crashed (Not my computer, I crashed eventually, heehee)

I only remember that it was 1.20, and when I then found the Messageboard, I was overjoyed that there were upgrades coming in thick and fast, .21, .22... Meaning this project was alive and kicking! :D

Great community, too, helpful advice, jokes aplenty etc...
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

I was playing Original BBC Elite on an Emulator for the Mac, and had got to the first mission.

I googled something like "reesdice mission" and found the board.

I've never looked back since.
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
NoSleep
Commander
Commander

Post by NoSleep »

jonnycuba first brought Oolite to my attention. Despite this, I think I may have been the first person to contact Giles and become a playtester. I wonder if I still have the very first version of Oolite I received knocking around somewhere.
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

Being the Elite obsessive that I am I regularly trawled the interweb from when I 1st went online (98/99)? Tried various EMU solutions that never really hit the spot & having the handicap of being a Mac user (luzor) 8) played the Mac port of TNK for a while, but think the missions were not working in that port!?

Being a regular lurker @ Winston's Alioth Elite BBS I was amazed to see a Mac version being annonced amonst the general madness there...

As NoSleep says, I think he was a very early playtester followed swiftly (hours later) by myself, ha! The arguments over the speed of ships that raged seem so quaint in the context of the rip roaring giant high speed galactic battles that are waged now in Oolite!

Will network Oodeathmatch/racing be the next Biggie :?:
Team Zorg are Go!
cactuar
Above Average
Above Average

Post by cactuar »

On british tv. Channel 4 has a video game page on it's ceefax and someone mentioned it in the letters page!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

WOW