maintenance: to pay or not to pay?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

willo
Above Average
Above Average

maintenance: to pay or not to pay?

Post by willo »

Is it worth doing maintenance on your ship. If i pay say 1800cr for an overhaul. i can do 2 space runs to other systems, not even get shot and it still offers maintenance on ship for say 1800-2100cr. So what is the point of maintenance anyone?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: maintenance: to pay or not to pay?

Post by Cody »

willo wrote:
Is it worth doing maintenance on your ship.
In a word... yes! A poorly maintained ship is more liable to mis-jumps/equipment failures.
Also, your ship is worth considerably more when recently overhauled... check it out on F3/F3 sometime.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Cody!!!! you ninja'd me right as I was putting in my nickels worth
in addition:
fuel leaks that cannot be repaired without paying
misjumps into thargoid country
failed jumps with cargo loss
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
willo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by willo »

o.k, but it not profitable to pay 1800cr every two planet jumps. How can it be possible to need maintenance after having done it and two planets later need maintenance again without getting shot?
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

go to higher level planets work maintenance... get quality work that way.. lower planets will rip you off.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

willo wrote:
o.k, but it not profitable to pay 1800cr every two planet jumps. How can it be possible to need maintenance after having done it and two planets later need maintenance again without getting shot?
You shouldn't be needing maintenance after only two jumps. If you go to a lower teck planet the service is more shoddy and you shouldn't expect them to skip a few things.

But that sounds like something has gone wrong somewhere. What ship do you fly?

EDIT: Partly ninja'd by Yah-Ta-Hey :roll:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
willo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by willo »

cobra mk III. with a lot of extra equipment fitted.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

willo wrote:
cobra mk III. with a lot of extra equipment fitted.
Then something is not working properly if you are needing maintenance after only two jumps!

Could you post your log?
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Fatleaf wrote:
Then something is not working properly if you are needing maintenance after only two jumps!
It's not utterly impossible - if it was right down at maximum wear and tear before the first service, and that first service was at a low-tech system, it could have pushed it only just over the service barrier. Then the second service could be offered very quickly (but there shouldn't be a third one being asked for any time soon)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

I ever do maintenance, but when you try to play in a strict way, "dead = dead", it pays out.
As soon as your shields are down, you have a higher chance of cargo or equipment getting destroyed in combat. And without the right equipment, you are more likely to die. Maintenance is not cheap, but loosing our military energy unit is also expensive. And replacing the cl888k is even a bigger problem. At least in Oolite 1.77 there are 8 planets in the galaxies that can repair it.

As mentioned above: you should do maintenance at places that understand the tech behind your engines or it will not be restored to 100%. Maintenance is only offered below a certain threshold and when at maximum wear, the minimum maintenance at a low tech system is so calculated that it pushes maintenance just above the threshold. Jumping through wormholes also results in a random wear, and apparently two jumps could be enough to bring you back below the threshold for offering maintenance. :lol:
Thermonuklear
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Thermonuklear »

Yesterday I got a fuel leak after overhauling my ship in a Tech 12 station. I chuckled at first. Then, upon exiting Witchspace, I was ganged by a group of 5 pirates :D
[ELITE: Station Run]
Selezen's excellent boardgame needs playtesters!
---
My youtube channel: Oolite, old games and underground metal music!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Thermonuklear wrote:
Yesterday I got a fuel leak after overhauling my ship in a Tech 12 station.
Typical, isn't it. They replace all the worn parts with top-spec new ones at great expense, then forget to put the cap back on the fuel valve.
metatheurgist
Competent
Competent

Post by metatheurgist »

I always do maintenance as soon as the option appears. And yet every now and then a piece of equipment will get damaged when I try to jump. Should be a money back guarantee I tells ya.

Was really pleased when I finally saved up the money to buy a Supercobra, then I got my first maintenance bill. :shock:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

metatheurgist wrote:
Was really pleased when I finally saved up the money to buy a Supercobra, then I got my first maintenance bill. :shock:
Maintenance bills are proportional to the ship's initial cost. So, a ship that was more expensive to buy in the first place also has higher maintenance costs.

Also, much depends on your style of flying and fighting. If you allow your shields to be completely depleted, every following hit will damage your hull directly, and you'll need another maintenance overhaul much faster. The same applies for scratch damage via collisions for instance during docking. They wear down your hull quicker than necessary, and will cause a sooner need for maintenance.