Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Norby »

Disembodied wrote:
there are a few OXPs designed to help with docking which your son might find useful, e.g. Thargoid's Neo-Docklights, which adds a trail of lights to guide pilots into the station.
Thank you, I get it already, but the problem is the correct rolling, so a real solution is a starter ship which is as narrow as to fit into the dock without rolling. I designed one (many thanks for the Wiki writers about modelling) which looks like a rocket crossed with a big cargo container.

The largest diameter of the body is 60m to earn as much cargo space as can dock without rolling but do not made the docking too easy (the height of the dock is 64m).

Today when I introduced this Rocket Miner to my son and he docked well two times then get excited again and said that he want to use this ship. :)
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Welcome, new folks! I'm announcing my return to "the grid" after having lost Internet for quite some time. Being broke is a strain on one's Internet friendships.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Rese249er wrote:
Being broke is a strain on one's Internet friendships.
Ain't that the truth... being broke is a problem I know well. Good to see you back.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Rese249er wrote:
I'm announcing my return to "the grid" after having lost Internet for quite some time.
Welcome home.. 8) must admit I'd been wondering where you went..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

So, this feels an appropriate time and place to de-cloak!

It's been quite a while since I last played Oolite properly, although I've tested out some of the latest changes for 10 minutes or so periodically. The lack of a computer capable of running at a decent frame rate is a little bit of a problem when it comes to dedicated play!

It's also been a long time since I posted anything on the boards. Real Life has been a bit of a harsh mistress, and rather distracting to boot, but I've gradually been getting back on my feet. I stopped reading the boards for time, but then gradually came back and caught up (you guys can be really prolific sometimes - finding over 300 topics in the "View unread posts" category was rather impressive!). Every now and then I see something on the news and just know that there will be a post in Outworld with the community discussing it.

You see, the thing about this place is that it is so welcoming. Commanders can come and go as they please, knowing that there is always warmth and a friendly avatar waiting for them. I have fond memories of communicating with and reading posts by some of you, and for those who haven't met me before, well, I kind of feel like I know you too.

Anyway, why am I re-appearing now? I am currently re-reading C. J. Cherryh's [Wikipedia] Chanur novels, set in her Alliance-Union universe, and it struck me that the way she describes the Compact working is essentially how I envisage GalCo-op. Quoting from the afore-linked Wikipedia page,
The Compact is not a political organization, and has no government; it regulates only the open trade and accessibility of space stations to all civilizations, leaving them to resolve their conflicts and politics between themselves.
And something in my head said "You know what, it's time." So, here I am, ready to re-engage with my fellow space-farers, and prepared to immerse myself into the ever-tantalising Ooniverse.

Now then, for those who haven't met me before, what might you want to know? I first came to Elite playing on my dad's Acorn Archimedes, and so that version of Elite brings back much nostalgia for me. We would drop my mum off at work, and then I would boot up the computer and play half an hour or so of Elite before breakfast and school. And then I'd spend many afternoons and weekends on it too! I played the same version years later on an Acorn emulator on my dad's PC. I got much, much further that time, with, if memory serves, 7000 and something kills. Not ranked Elite, however, as ArcElite had different values. 'Twas "Very Deadly", or something similar. Then, about 3 years ago, I was searching the Ubuntu repositories (yes, I also dabble in being a penguin; Lubuntu being my preferred operating system) for games to play, when I came across Oolite. That was it. I was hooked.

Since then, I've played my way through most of the mission oxps, have even been a play-tester for a couple of them, and finally achieved my childhood dream of being ranked Elite! I have tended to install many different ships, stations and shipsets (I like variety in my 'verse), and a number of the systems/ambience oxps. I am more dubious about equipment/weapon oxps; I prefer the standard combat mechanics! That said, I even had a go at writing my own WIP oxp once, creating wormhole drones, as a way to familiarise myself with the Oolite scripting system. (I should probably see what happened to that - I can't remember how I left it!)

As far as my in-Ooniverse character identity is concerned, see a post I made here for back story.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Good to see you again, Mauiby... and also good to hear that you're on-the-up.
I know only too well how harsh RL can be at times!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yay, good to see you again old Squirrel. :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Heh, yes - welcome back Mauiby :D
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Not sure if I should be introducing myself, but since I'm probably going to be into oolite again for at least two more weeks, I had might as well.

I'm much younger than most members here, and never got to experience the original Elite. I somehow found oolite when I was 12 or so, and for a year I would just goof off for a while. I didn't know how trading works, or anything. I just shot things and quit without saving. Then one day, I found the tutorial on the site. I was on the BB a lot after that. I was 12 or 13, so I'm scared to look at my posting history, but I'm sure my age was apparent. Whether I was an annoying little brat or not, I still had a ball here, and felt accepted on these boards.

To most reading this post, David Braben and Ian Bell introduced you into a world of wonder, mystery, discovery, and excitement. I'm sure most of you also respect and maybe even look up to Bell and Braben. To myself, my Braben and Bell was you. I won't be able to get the usernames right, but Aegis(?), Ramirez, Lesterate(The guy who created realisticshipyards, I can't remember his names exact spelling), DaddyHoggy, Kaks, exe provided me this same feeling of wonder and discovery. On this return, hopefully for more than a week, I plan to try and contribute to Oolite more than I previously did.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this for those who didn't know me, don't recognize me, or say to themselves "Oh great, this kid again?"

Don't Panic,
-FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Cody

Post by Cody »

That's a really cool post, Commander!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Welcome back FSOneblin,
Don't worry, we like a few 'kids' around here - keeps us old folks on our toes :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Oh! One saturday, two old forumites resurfacing.—That's a pleasant surprise! :D

Welcome back, commanders—we're still the Friendliest Boards This Side Of Riedquat™, and we're happy to see you back. Check out 1.77—Oolite is getting better and better. :wink:
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

No-one ever reall leaves ... once this game gets in your soul, it's got you forever! :twisted:

Welcome all, new and old!
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Disembodied wrote:
No-one ever reall leaves ... once this game gets in your soul, it's got you forever! :twisted:
Ain't that the truth! Cheers for the (re-)welcome guys!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Welcome home, Mauiby and FSOneblin! I remember you both well.. 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied