Title Music

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Title Music

Post by TGHC »

I'd just like to comment that I think No Sleep's Title Music is excellent.

I tend to start Oolite then make myself a coffee as it plays, it really get's me in the mood for a bit of Thargoid bashing.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Galileo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Galileo »

I concur, anyone know who composed it? Or is it original?
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

I think you could ask No Sleep... :wink:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I think NoSleep did it himself, given that the music is copyrighted to him.
Galileo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Galileo »

I suppose that would make sense... :lol:
NoSleep
Commander
Commander

Post by NoSleep »

It was indeed all my own work, although I took more than a few hints from the 'how to write a space-oriented theme for use in a game' handbook. When I have a spare moment I was considering making a remixed version.
hwtan
Competent
Competent

Post by hwtan »

Good job, NoSleep for your excellent work for the title music. I personally is a composer and know how difficult to come out with such an inspiring work. :D Although to me the ending is a little abrupt, it is after all a very well structured work. Just wondering what music notation software did you use for this work? Is it possible to send me the midi file of your creation?
Virtual Saturna
Average
Average

Post by Virtual Saturna »

I'll also put a note in for you NoSleep - it is a top-notch composition. Wonderfully done. If you've yet to make any earnings from music, it seems to me worth considering as you very well could.
NoSleep
Commander
Commander

Post by NoSleep »

I had previously created a midi file of the theme for a slimmed down dial-up version of Oolite, back in the day when BB was less widespread. So this is all GM'd up to work at once in Quicktime or similar...

Oolite Theme MIDI Version

I'm still contemplating a 'remix', or at least tweaking the old one a little. Maybe do a more 'John Carpenter' version or something.
NoSleep
Commander
Commander

Post by NoSleep »

hwtan wrote:
...Although to me the ending is a little abrupt, it is after all a very well structured work. Just wondering what music notation software did you use for this work? Is it possible to send me the midi file of your creation?
Didn't finish answering this, did I? MIDI file in previous post (above).

Regards the abrupt ending... Haven't you been blown out of existence in Oolite even once? :D

I used Logic to create it.
hwtan
Competent
Competent

Post by hwtan »

Regards the abrupt ending... Haven't you been blown out of existence in Oolite even once? :D
:lol: While I have been blown out more than once abruptly, I personally prefer the thrill of blowing the Thargoid out and attaining the status of Elite (fanfare please). :D But that is me.

Keep up the good work anyway.
tokugawa
Average
Average

Post by tokugawa »

Well, I don't like (high-tone) trumpets at the opeing part. I hear them like "What I would add to make this tune longer" :). But main part is simply great (I like the ending too). It really feels like "A big movie".

Sorry if this is sounds rude, but I assure - tried to write tune (more than once) - and I know how hard is it.

I hope this was a constructive criticism.

Ahh one more thing. I would like a tune "into the space" instead of "Wooooo" when launching. (I admit - I'm quite fan of Privateer and Wing Commander series in general (love them, instead of Star(Trek|Wars))