Galaxy seeds and system properties

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Galaxy seeds and system properties

Post by cim »

Pleb wrote:
Switeck wrote:
I've seen Thargoid Cruisers and Battleships from Galactic Navy firing their lasers at nothing. Maybe related...?
There is a probability that the laser will hit 1 in 20 times it is fired, so this is probably what that it is. I did try taking this line out, but then the Thargoids became too dominant and were able to reduce a Navy Taskforce into debris very quickly! :twisted:
That, incidentally, had the interesting consequence that the Thargoid laser was considerably more dangerous at a high frame rate (fires on average every 0.5 seconds) than at a low frame rate (fires on average every 1.5 seconds), because it checked that 1/20 chance once every frame.

The fire rate of the Thargoid laser is calculated differently in trunk to avoid this dependency; overall difficulty shouldn't be affected by this change, and the apparent randomness of Thargoid fire rates remains to an extent.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Switeck wrote:
I've seen Thargoid Cruisers and Battleships from Galactic Navy firing their lasers at nothing. Maybe related...?
[annecdote]I can't quite remember what i was up to at the time, but for a while i had a script to spawn thargoids near the main station (most probably i was testing an OXP) and noticed they would love to target and then shoot up the Nav buoy - Not sure what those things are made of but it's catnip to a thargoid battleship [/annecdote]
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I've recently seen a standard (i.e. non-OXP) Thargoid and its little friends shooting up what appeared to be some boulders ... perhaps these were remains of some poor Rock Hermit? Or maybe they had just taken an exception to an asteroid ... these are Things Beyond Our Ken (I asked him, and Our Ken said he didn't have a clue).
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Griff wrote:
[annecdote]I can't quite remember what i was up to at the time, but for a while i had a script to spawn thargoids near the main station (most probably i was testing an OXP) and noticed they would love to target and then shoot up the Nav buoy - Not sure what those things are made of but it's catnip to a thargoid battleship [/annecdote]
I have noticed that Thargoids seem to have a love of destroying nav beacons, but to be fair they also love targeting stations as well. I spawned a fleet near a Rock Hermit and they managed to completely destroy it (it was a very big fleet after all). I think the Thargoids just love destroying anything that isn't a Thargoid, as that's what their coding in the source tells them to do. But there is no preference, just anything that isn't one of their own!
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

So if GalCop painted everything red and green..... :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

You'd all crash at the next road junction with traffic lights and we'd take over the universe... :twisted:
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

The other five charts aren't very interesting, but I do like the layout of these three (3, 7 & 8 ):-

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Wildeblood wrote:
The other five charts aren't very interesting, but I do like the layout of these three (3, 7 & 8 ):-
<snip/>
Galaxies 2 and 5 are interesting too IMHO.:-

G2 is similar to 7 and 8 as there is a single system choke point separating the systems into 2 halves.

G5 has a lost world that is surrounded.

I agree 1, 4 and 6 are fairly normal looking.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Love the new galaxies posted by PhantorGorth. Is there an OXP that would add them?

I agree that we don't *need* more galaxies per se, but they would be nice. Having the normal 2048 gets boring after some time. Even with mission OXPs.

--------------------
I'd love to see an Alternate Starts OXP and a Thargoid Laser OXP, too.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Zireael wrote:
Love the new galaxies posted by PhantorGorth. Is there an OXP that would add them?

I agree that we don't *need* more galaxies per se, but they would be nice. Having the normal 2048 gets boring after some time. Even with mission OXPs.

--------------------
I'd love to see an Alternate Starts OXP and a Thargoid Laser OXP, too.
You can not alter the galaxy seed via an OXP. But to change it you can edit the seed in a save game. Please note that in the Save Game file the seed is not the same for each galaxy. What happens is the seed is rotated one bit for each galaxy and then saved to the Save Game.

So for Oolite's current seed is "74 90 72 2 83 183" but for Gal 2 it is "148 180 144 4 166 111" and so on.

You also will need to change the keys "galaxy_coordinates", "galaxy_number", "current_system_name".

It's easiest to do this to a new game file then you can use the seeds I have provided.

Please note a large number of OXPs will not work, or work sensibly, with alternate galaxies seeds. Particularly missions. (E.g. Long Way Round mission could end up only requiring you to travel from one system to it's neighbour! Snoopers is likely to give you news for systems that now no longer exist!)
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I am still of the opinion that the option to oxp additional galaxies/sectors into Oolite would be a great expansion to the game. It would not hurt those that don't want it in and give all others a bigger ooniverse with the option to oxp in unexplored sectors, thargoid sectors, anarchy sectors, you name it.

Don't know if this is a total minority position?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Lestradae wrote:
I am still of the opinion that the option to oxp additional galaxies/sectors into Oolite would be a great expansion to the game. It would not hurt those that don't want it in and give all others a bigger ooniverse with the option to oxp in unexplored sectors, thargoid sectors, anarchy sectors, you name it.

Don't know if this is a total minority position?
This thread has less than the typical amount of off-topic noise, and so far about 150 on-topic posts discussing alternative and additional galaxies. There are example seeds and images of the charts they will produce, there are instructions for using them by modifying a save file, there are instructions for modifying Oolite to use either alternative galaxies or additional galaxies, there are explanations of what functions will work normally and what won't. At this point of the discussion, your comment looks a little like you haven't bothered to read what has already been written.

Do you have any specific suggestions that could be implemented, or any specific queries someone might be able to answer for you, or any opinions to offer regarding the alternative galaxies that have already been shown?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Wildeblood wrote:
This thread has less than the typical amount of off-topic noise
Tsk, tsk... that will never do!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Wildeblood wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:06 pm
This empty template version of Galactic Hyperdrive XG OXP might be of use to someone. For use only with 16 galaxy versions of Oolite, it has the eight usual destinations arrays and eight empty arrays waiting for you to record your favourite destinations in uncharted space.
Does anybody have a working version of this?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Wildeblood wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:06 pm

Does anybody have working versions of these?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?