Oolite Key Maps

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Oolite Key Maps

Post by Gimi »

Oolite 1.76 key map version updated to v1.0.2 on 15 Sep 2012
Oolite 1.77 key map version updated to v1.1.7 on 07 Oct 2013
Oolite 1.79 key map version new v1.3.0 on 07 Oct 2013

A while back, when reconfiguring the Oolite control keys I made an Oolite key map to keep track of the changes I made. Having made the maps, I decided to clean them up, make a Mac version and offer them here to anyone who might be interested and finds them useful. There are several key maps available covering full size keyboards and laptop keyboards for both PC and Mac. Have a look and see what you think.

Image Image

I have made 6 files available. Pdf files and Office 2010 PowerPoint files for when you want to edit the key map to fit your configuration. Versions for Oolite v1.76.1 stable release, Oolite 1.77.1 latest release and Oolite 1.79 development version are available.

Oolite v1.76.1 key map:
Below are key maps for Oolite 1.76.1 Stable release.

Pdf file: Oolite v1.76 key map v1.0.2.pdf
Office 2010 PowerPoint file: Oolite v1.76 key map v1.0.2.pptx

Please report any errors or omission you find. I would also appreciate any suggestions towards changes or additions you might have.
Concerning the Mac layout: There are quite a few different layouts for the Mac keyboard out there. If yours is different, feel free to modify the files if you want to, and republish as you please.

Changes
Oolite key map v0.9: Initial release.
Oolite key map v0.9.1: Updated keyboard layout for Mac, few errors fixed and I have taken into account suggestions and feedback.
Oolite key map v0.9.2: Fixed an omission in the Mac key map and changed the naming of some keys to be more in line with the Oolite Reference sheet. (As suggested by Eric Walch)
Oolite v1.76 key map v1.0: Cosmetic changes to the keyboard. Removed the debug controls from the Oolite v1.76 key map. These are still available on the Oolite v1.77 key map.
Oolite v1.76 key map v1.0.1: Corrected some spelling mistakes as pointed out by SandJ. Sorry about that.
Oolite v1.76 key map v1.0.2: Added: Hold Shift key to flush OXP cache while loading game.
------------------------------------------

Oolite v1.77.1 key map:
Below are key maps for Oolite 1.77.1 Latest release. (This version is strongly recommended over 1.76.1 stable)

Pdf file: Oolite v1.77 key map v1.1.8.pdf
Office 2010 PowerPoint file: Oolite v1.77 key map v1.1.8.pptx

Changes:
Oolite v1.77 key map v1.1.0: Initial release. Removed the Energy Bomb form the key maps. Key maps with debug controls are now included here.
Oolite v1.77 key map v1.1.1: Corrected some spelling mistakes as pointed out by SandJ. Sorry about that.
Oolite v1.77 key map v1.1.2: Added new debug key; "c" Toggle connection to the debug console as described here. Win and Linux only key.
Oolite v1.77 key map v1.1.3: Updated to reflect that changing TAF is now only possible when FPS is displayed. Minor updates and cosmetic changes.
Oolite v1.77 key map v1.1.4: Added "Ctrl - pitch/roll/yaw" precision toggle key combination.
Oolite v1.77 key map v1.1.5: Added: Hold Shift key to flush OXP cache while loading game" and new F4 mission key.
Oolite v1.77 key map v1.1.6: Added: Added new secondary equipment key "b".
Oolite v1.77 key map v1.1.7: Added: Changed name of "b" key to "equipment mode".
Oolite v1.77 key map v1.1.8: Updated: Removed reference to "?" key. Cosmetic stuff.
------------------------------------------

Oolite v1.79 key map:
Below are key maps for the cutting edge development version of Oolite, currently version 1.79. (Requires that you compile Oolite yourself by downloading the source form the OoliteProjecton GitHub).

Pdf file: Oolite v1.79 key map v1.3.0.pdf
Office 2010 PowerPoint file: Oolite v1.79 key map v1.3.0.pptx

Changes:
Oolite v1.79 key map v1.3.0: Added: Added "?" key to toggle system highlight mode in long range chart.
Last edited by Gimi on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 16 times in total.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite Key Maps

Post by snork »

well, you are using the same sign for Shift and for Arrow up, and on the left picture the Shift key is not showing this arrow but "Shift".
Do Mac keyboards use the same arrow on Shift and arrow-keys ?
Might be confusing. The "fat" arrow used to represent Shift in e.g. Oolite-RS.pdf is more intuitive to me.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Looks good, Gimi.

A little change - Cloak should be 0 (zero).
For the symbols you could take a look at http://www.unicode.org/charts/, e.g. \u21E7 = Shift ⇧
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

snork wrote:
Do Mac keyboards use the same arrow on Shift and arrow-keys ?
No. Shift is an outlined arrow, while the arrow keys are printed just with filled arrow heads (you could also say triangles).
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

I'll look at consistency for the Shift and arrow keys, but again, Macs have used different symbols and the word "shift" depending on the keyboard version. Thank you for the feedback.

And I'll fix the O - 0 for equipment error. I have had that remapped for so long I forgot all about it, and my current commander doesn't need this key yet.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
No. Shift is an outlined arrow, while the arrow keys are printed just with filled arrow heads (you could also say triangles).
On the slightly older keyboard I use now it are arrows with a dashed stem like: ⇢⇠⇡⇣ while the current mac keybords use just the triangle: ◀ ▲ ▼ ▶ as you write.

What is wrong on the mac boards is the return key. It should cover two rows, like the window layout. On the mac, even the uper part is broader, like your windows keyboard. I have never seen anything different than that shape of return key. Even my 18 years old performa already had that shape.

Also the key above the return key is named wrong. It should be backspace like the windows version. And on all macs I've seen ist not spelled in text but a long arrow pointing left.
Last edited by Eric Walch on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Eric Walch wrote:
What is wrong on the mac boards is the return key. It should cover two rows, like the window layout. On the mac, even the uper part is broader, like your windows keyboard. I have never seen anything different than that shape of return key. Even my 18 years old performa already had that shape.

Also the key above the return key is named wrong. It should be backspace like the windows version. And on all macs I've seen ist not spelled in text but a long arrow pointing left.
Again, it depends on the version. From the pictures I found on google, the single row return key seems to be the most common layout, but if the Mac users here disagrees, I'll change it. Same goes for the backspace key. Apple have really made this difficult.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Indeed, it does seem to be quite varying and confusing.

This is what I have on my current MacBook Pro (it was slightly different even for its predecessor MacBook Pro):

On thing I have know idea about is why they decided to tie the '@' to the 'L' key. '€' to 'E' I can understand, but I see no possible connection between '@' and 'L'.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I have that keyboard config too. But great keyboard layout pdf!
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Gimi wrote:
Again, it depends on the version. From the pictures I found on google, the single row return key seems to be the most common layout, but if the Mac users here disagrees, I'll change it. Same goes for the backspace key. Apple have really made this difficult.
I think you are right. In holland we use the 'mac international keyboard'. When you do a google search on those 3 words you will find pictures with a layout similar to the one of mc Lane above. Thats the only one I know for 20 years. I have a subscription on 'MacWelt' and that magazine had every month a picture in one on the last pages with the most current keyboard. Its the one as above.

Doing a search on keyboards in the macintosh store of keyboards does show only keyboards in your layout. Searching a bit further on the web I found your keyboard layout linked to the name US-layout. And that keyboard had indeed also the delete on the place were I (and windows) has the backspace key. Resulting in two delete keys on the keyboard and no backspace. (Although I have a strong strong suspicion that they call it 'delete backwards' and 'delete forwards' and both keys act as the international counterparts.

So, it might be possible that apple switched in the US to a layout more common to windows and the european wanted to keep their original layout. I must say this is also new to me and an US forum member can probably clear things a bit up here.
Commander McLane wrote:
On thing I have know idea about is why they decided to tie the '@' to the 'L' key. '€' to 'E' I can understand, but I see no possible connection between '@' and 'L'.
That is only on the german keyboard. On the international one, both the @ as the € are on the 2 key (resp shift-2 and shift-opt-2). No idea why German is different here. I think the @ always has been there since the old apple computers.
The opt-e was already reserved for the accent-aigu. We use the french name for this in holland. (un-officially a lot of people call it accent-forwards). I assume apple didn't want to move this much used character to a new position for the € symbol.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

New version available. See first post.

Edit: I had the wrong pptx file uploaded for a while. Sorry about that, fixed now.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander McLane wrote:
Indeed, it does seem to be quite varying and confusing.

This is what I have on my current MacBook Pro (it was slightly different even for its predecessor MacBook Pro):

In French: @ = the snail = l'escargot?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

DaddyHoggy wrote:
In French: @ = the snail = l'escargot?
Hm. Two things: It doesn't make a lot of sense to go for the first letter of the article instead of the word itself (following this logic all French nouns would begin with 'l' :P ). And second: that's a German keyboard layout, not a French one. :wink:
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Gimi, version 0.9.1 looks excellent.

Special with the powerpoint version, gives it users of other keyboard layouts to print a nice customized version.

Two remarks about the zero key.

- On the mac all the numpad numbers are mapped to the normal numbers as you correctly show with 1 till 8. But it also includes the 0. And because the 0 on the numpad is bigger than the plain zero and situated nicely at the bottom, I always use that key and assume other mac users also do. :P

- The zero key activates some non standard equipment that becomes only available by a special mission. (although the action does not deserve the name mission). Anyhow, in the official reference sheet the exact equipment it activates is not revealed, other than that it activates 'special' equipment.
At that time this would not lead to confusion, but now we have primable equipment, the word 'special' could give confusion with primable. Deal with it how you like.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Thank you for the feed back Eric. 0.9.2 will have your suggestions implemented. As I said, this came about when I was playing around with modifying the keyboard layout for myself (I kept forgetting what I had changed), so as you have correctly identified, there are a few considerations to be taken when making this generally available.

Edit: Updated to Oolite key map v0.9.2. See first post for details.