A change of plans

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

A change of plans

Post by JensAyton »

Over the past two weeks, I’ve been trying to get work done on Oolite and failing. After much consideration, I’ve reached the following conclusion: I have lots of ideas, plans and visions I'd like to see realised, but I no longer have any interest in actually working on them. Trying to force myself to keep it up just stops me from getting anything done. This has been a problem for some time now. Meanwhile, the scope of the proposed Oolite 2.0 has ballooned out of control; what was supposed to be a minor cleanup and graphics update became a set of overlapping plans for rewriting most of the game.

This cannot possibly be successful, and no-one would benefit from me trying anyway.

My intention now is to get 1.76 finished (within the next couple of months). After that, I will only be working on bug and compatibility fixes as necessary, no new features.

The rest of the development team was informed yesterday.
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: A change of plans

Post by Dragonfire »

A little disappointing in a way, but very much understandable. You've brought Oolite a long ways from what I hear, and for that I'm very grateful. :D

Anyway, as an upside, I suppose it also makes OXP coding a little easier now, as compatibility with new releases won't be as much of an issue.

Thanks for the heads up. :)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

That's a shame Ahruman - but seems to be the inevitable curse of the Oolite lead programmer.

I'd like to thank you for all your efforts.

I hope that without the pressure of doing more and more, you will return eventually reinvigorated.

Regards,

DH
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Bows in appreciation of what you have done with Oolite and for the Oolite community.

I hope that this turn of events eventually brings back your motivation for both Oolite and any other projects you may have that have suffered as a result of your efforts working on Oolite.

Thank you
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Well, since your mind is made up, that's it then, isn't it?

I'm not sure if people really tell you how much they care about you and how they appreciate all the work you have done for us. We do. I know that we are all sort of a pain sometimes. You are the leader and as such it tends to weigh you down with all of our requests for all the things we would like to see. We are a very passionate group.

You are one of the coolest guys around with a wit and humor to match. How do I know this? One of your latest conversations.
Ahruman wrote:
greenseng wrote:
And how much control has an oxp-writer over the ram?
Can one read from a position in the ram?
Can one write?
So very, very no that it’s as no as a very no thing.
You rock Ahruman! I still chuckle when I read this.

I want to wish you all the best and thank-you for being the best leader this project could have had. You will be missed. I hope after a rest and change of pace you will once again be back to amuse and inform us as you tell us things as they really are.

Best wishes, CommonSenseOTB
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Ahruman wrote:
I have lots of ideas, plans and visions I'd like to see realised, but I no longer have any interest in actually working on them. Trying to force myself to keep it up just stops me from getting anything done.
It sounds you have been overworking yourself and need a holiday away for a bit. It is the curse of all driven men with ability.

May I express my appreciation for all you have done for us and hope you return refreshed and invigorated when you are ready. And may your future projects give you as much enjoyment as Oolite has.

With warmest regards,
____________________ Fatleaf.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Gnudoll
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Gnudoll »

Ahruman, you have my deepest gratitude as well for all that you have done. Everyone here seems to think you are leaving completely, which would be sad. What I heard in your comment, however, was that you simply wanted to take a step back. Perhaps do more leading and less of the actual programming? Certainly, taking time just for yourself would be a very good thing, and I wish you the best in that regard. While you are gone, we will miss you. When you return we will welcome you back with joyous celebration!!
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Well, all I can say is Congratulations, and Thank You for all the hard work you have put in to maintaining and improving Oolite! It is sincerely appreciated, and has brought many, many hours of happiness to us meagre commanders. Hopefully you will keep on posting and hanging out on the board here; your laconic wit and ever-to-the-point direct answers have been both great fun and amusing to read, yet helpful at the same time.

I hope you feel refreshed and focused as soon as possible, and wish you the best of luck in whatever other projects you choose to undertake.

Mauiby de Fug
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Even Atlas got tired holding up the sky.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_%28mythology%29

Ahruman, do you know anyone who could take up at least in part what you were doing?
Makara
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Makara »

A wise decision. If you aren't finding it fun anymore then forcing yourself to plough on wouldn't be good for either you (getting stress & headaches from what should be a labour of love isn't good) or Oolite itself. I can only express my gratitude for the great strides made in your time at the helm.
Ahruman wrote:
My intention now is to get 1.76 finished (within the next couple of months). After that, I will only be working on bug and compatibility fixes as necessary, no new features.
Hopefully without the spectre of Oolite 2.0 hanging over you, getting 1.76 out the door won't be the chore you were dreading. Seeing this phase of Oolite's development through to the end before passing on the baton is admirable.

Once again, thanks for all the efforts you have undertaken for all the commanders out there :)
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Well you've done an excellent job bringing Oolite from 1.65 to nearly 1.76 and I salute you! And I don't think anyone could deny that a stable 1.76 with already improved graphics and JS support is a lovely thing in itself, and to expect more is really a bit greedy.

However I can't stop myself asking this - is there any chance of sneaking a few (hopefully) minor scripting requests (I'm thinking ship yard related) past the feature freeze for inclusion in 1.76?
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Repeating the sentiments of everyone here, my deepest thanks, Ahruman, for all the efforts you've put into steering this ship.

Take a break, do a tour of the eight (I hear the evil juice and fishing is sensational on Zarquesso).

Make your Ooniverse fun again, then see how you feel...
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I sympathise completely. It takes a huge degree of self-awareness to realise when one is approaching one's limits and I applaud the manner in which you've done it. I know it's not just the programming, the 'lead' in any organisation or society inevitably shoulders a great deal of responsibility, both real and perceived. This is a heavy burden and takes its toll.

Bask in what you done, and accept our hearty congratulations and appreciation. As far as I'm concerned Oolite is pretty much 'Elite 4'. You've built something which exceeded the expectations of the fans. No mean feat.

You did it. Bravo.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Understandable, I certainly wouldn't want to take on a project that big.