Join GalCop?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Join GalCop?

Post by Dragonfire »

You know what we REALLY need in this game? An OXP that allows one to join GalCop. You get paid at every docking (plus you get bounties), and you are allowed to fly the Viper Interceptor and use all of their "cop only" technology.

No, I am not making this, and I have no desire to. :P
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Join GalCop?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Dragonfire wrote:
You know what we REALLY need in this game? An OXP that allows one to join GalCop. You get paid at every docking (plus you get bounties), and you are allowed to fly the Viper Interceptor and use all of their "cop only" technology.

No, I am not making this, and I have no desire to. :P
I'm curious abut this post for many reasons.

The first is that I had to double check that the PHP software had made a mistake - but it would indeed appear that, at the time of writing, you've cloned RyanHoots avatar - why?

The second thing is why do you think *we* need to join Galcop? By *we* I presume you mean *you*?

You're a bit vague on what this OXP will do, and your OXP writer will need to know - how the Galcop Interceptor Pilot will receive his orders (you are after all working for "the man" now)? What does he do when he's not on patrol? Can you leave/quit/resign? Can you work up through the ranks? How do you earn your money - I can't imagine even a hot shot pilot earns much in the way of wages and the Viper's have no cargo capacity so even if you were allowed to Trade you have no mechanism to do so. You couldn't earn anything through bounty-hunting because you're not, you're just doing your job (for Galcop).

Personally, as part of that "we", other than the brief thrill of flying a Viper (Interceptor) and going all "Blues and Twos" (legally), I think it'd be a potentially dull OXP.

Edit: on read back - quite a negative posting (sorry) - but I think I've raised some valid points nonetheless - if you've thought it through some more though - I'd like to hear how you'd live the life of a Galcop Pilot?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
The first is that I had to double check that the PHP software had made a mistake - but it would indeed appear that, at the time of writing, you've cloned RyanHoots avatar - why?
Not a clone - they've swapped with each other.

Apart from that, I'm not entirely certain what the difference with the Galactic Navy oxp with the missions and the SecCom stations is, apart from free money and the chance to fly a Viper...
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Not a clone - they've swapped with each other.

Apart from that, I'm not entirely certain what the difference with the Galactic Navy oxp with the missions and the SecCom stations is, apart from free money and the chance to fly a Viper...
Yeah thanks MdF for confirming - I just noticed in the "Most No. of members thread"... (Between my Sinusitis and my horse pill antibiotics I thought I'd lost it!)
Selezen wrote:
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

I'm always amused when someone abbreviates my name like that! Takes me back to the pitiful attempts in Design and Technology classes in school before I was able to drop it and just do fun subjects!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
I'm always amused when someone abbreviates my name like that! Takes me back to the pitiful attempts in Design and Technology classes in school before I was able to drop it and just do fun subjects!
Fifteen years of working for and with the MOD - it's a daily hack of TLAs, I do it without thinking now. Apologies - shorthanding somebody's name isn't really on - although I personally don't mind "DH" except when it turns out to mean "Deep Horizons" - that just confuses me!
Selezen wrote:
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Fifteen years of working for and with the MOD - it's a daily hack of TLAs, I do it without thinking now. Apologies - shorthanding somebody's name isn't really on - although I personally don't mind "DH" except when it turns out to mean "Deep Horizons" - that just confuses me!
Don't worry about it! As I said, I was amused! I do get slightly irked when people write "Maulby" instead place of "Mauiby", but I'm generally fine with abbreviations.
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

As a GalCop, you could have special assignments. You would be able to take cases (thus hunting for clues), take out fugitives, and patrol the spacelanes. It would basically be like Random Hits in some ways, except you could always get more assignments from any station.
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

DaddyHoggy wrote:

I'm curious abut this post for many reasons.

You are very good at seeing through hoaxes. All will be revealed later...
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Dragonfire wrote:
As a GalCop, you could have special assignments. You would be able to take cases (thus hunting for clues), take out fugitives, and patrol the spacelanes. It would basically be like Random Hits in some ways, except you could always get more assignments from any station.
I love the idea!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Dragonfire wrote:
There's definitely potential there, although too much "patrolling the spaceways" could get a bit dull. I suspect you would have to let players become some sort of Special Agent, rather than just another cop.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Disembodied wrote:
Dragonfire wrote:
There's definitely potential there, although too much "patrolling the spaceways" could get a bit dull. I suspect you would have to let players become some sort of Special Agent, rather than just another cop.
Mission One: Get back to the Main Station and buy all the donuts available while the 2-4-1 offer is on at FunkyDonuts - Hurry, this is a time critical mission...
Selezen wrote:
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Mission One: Get back to the Main Station and buy all the donuts available while the 2-4-1 offer is on at FunkyDonuts - Hurry, this is a time critical mission...
:D Mission Two: ping a ship's location and collect 300Cr from a tabloid hack ...
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

The mention of donuts reminded me of the old arcade classic, APB! It wouldn't take a massive leap to do something similar in Oolite, picking up minor felons while looking out for known fugitives. Add in a time limit and you could have some fairly high-paced action.

Only question is how to recreate the Confess-O-Meter...
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ramirez wrote:
The mention of donuts reminded me of the old arcade classic, APB! It wouldn't take a massive leap to do something similar in Oolite, picking up minor felons while looking out for known fugitives. Add in a time limit and you could have some fairly high-paced action.

Only question is how to recreate the Confess-O-Meter...
APB came up in another thread a little while ago too... spooky...
Selezen wrote: