Clearing Up a Debate Once and For All

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

What is your highest priority in Oolite?

Uber
11%
Balance
89%

Total votes: 45

Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Clearing Up a Debate Once and For All

Post by Dragonfire »

Okay, there has been a forum-wide debate over uber vs. balance (set off by one of my ship proposals...sorry). So, it is time to clear that up once and for all.

One note about this - be respectful to each other, and remember, this is NOT a multi-player. Each person is entitled to their Ooniverse, and even if you don't agree with it, don't flame 'em for it.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Clearing Up a Debate Once and For All

Post by Smivs »

My views are well known, so no surprise I voted for 'Balance'. :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Dragonfire wrote:
Okay, there has been a forum-wide debate over uber vs. balance (set off by one of my ship proposals...sorry). So, it is time to clear that up once and for all.

One note about this - be respectful to each other, and remember, this is NOT a multi-player. Each person is entitled to their Ooniverse, and even if you don't agree with it, don't flame 'em for it.
A vote obviously won't clear it up once and for all, but will capture a small subset of users who can be bothered to vote - and only those who care one way or another will vote.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I think many will vote on this...opinions are quite stongly held.
What the influence of the vote will be is also easy to judge, I think. The Uber camp will continue doing Uber stuff even if they find themselves in a minority, and the Balance faction will continue to do balance.
I don't think this will change anything.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

My point is to get the opinions out in the open.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

I voted for balance, but I have released Uber OXP's in the past and may release some more in future. OOlite is well balanced in vanilla game and we don't want to loose that.

It is up to the player, to have an uber or balanced ooniverse by selecting the OXP's. :oops:
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
stop4stuff
Above Average
Above Average

Post by stop4stuff »

I went for balanced. For me it just makes the game more challenging and much more enjoyable.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Balance for me, and that would be no surprise given my previous posts on this bb.
However, I'm happy to make my own balance, as in installing OXP's that make things harder and some that make things easier to even it all out.
Also, as an example, I have edited my Cobra, giving it 6 missile slots. With all the equipment that needs a slot these days, I feel that is fear. I did charge myself 50 000 credits for the modification though, by editing my save game.
After having taken my first Oolite Commander to Elite using pretty much every trick available (Q-mine in the TOGY is a beautiful sight), save editing save games and OoCheat.oxp, I am quite careful with my current Commander, however I will happily change something if it makes the game more fun and interesting for me to play.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Matti
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Matti »

Balanced for me. If there is über equipment, it should cost über credits.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Matti wrote:
Given you can edit your Save Game to give yourself uber credits, that doesn't actually make any difference. If you're going to cheat make your game easier, why stop with just waiting to buy the equipment when you can edit your save game to give yourself a generous dead uncle...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

I think people know how I feel. If in doubt I refer you to these posts.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 93#p145593

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 59#p145559
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

I voted for balance.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't create über ships etc. for others, or even myself.

If I install something that tilts the balance one way (easier for player, or harder), I try to find something else to restore the balance. Maybe the core set will become obsolete or underpowered, but I try to keep my Ooniverse quite moderate, so the core ships won't feel too weak.

Apart from that, I have tweaked the core ships in my install so that Thargoids and Anaconds can (and usually will, if undamaged) survive an Energy Bomb, and player Cobra mk III has top speed of 0.30 LM.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Matti wrote:
Given you can edit your Save Game to give yourself uber credits, that doesn't actually make any difference. If you're going to cheat make your game easier, why stop with just waiting to buy the equipment when you can edit your save game to give yourself a generous dead uncle...
Completely agree on that, and I have to admit for most of us, uber equipments are fun for a while and you get bored of them quite easily.

To give uber equipments easily is like giving a kid all he or she wants, which may cause problems later.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Dragonfire wrote:
Obvious troll is obvious, young Dragonfire. It's disappointing to see the long-standing members of this board willing to indulge it.

Regarding your poll, neither option - "uber" or "balance" - is acceptable to me, so I'm not voting. How about adding a third option: "variety"?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Dragonfire wrote:
[%R] bless your enthusiasm, but I'm afraid there is no "once and for all" on something as volatile as the intertubes, and that includes these boards.

If the past is any indicator, you may want to brace yourself for having this same debate about every two to four months, without ever getting impatient, or reaching any conclusion. The forum denizens of the first hour have certainly long lost track of how often they've seen (or participated in) this debate already. It is the (relatively) new members' privilege to indulge in the belief that they are taking part in something meaningful, the results of which will shape the Ooniverse forever. But in six months' or a years' time a new lot of forum members will contribute their firm belief that they will put the überness-vs-balance debate to a final conclusion and rest. C'est la vie. :D